Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL / Esat BT Launch New Product

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gunston

Do the rates include VAT? Or is it more like:

€18.15
    €30.25
    €42.35

plus 1.21 cent per minute thereafter? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Rang them today, and was told that if you have ISDN you can only connect to their service using it at 56k.

To be honest with you, the 6k isn't really worth it. Forms are on their way, hopefully along with a real flat rate product in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I rang today too, forms on the way. Appartently for a product that has yet to be announced the interest has been overwhelming. Or so the nice lady on the phone told me :)

It will bode well for flate rate if there is a large take up of this service. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Gunston
    Do the rates include VAT? Or is it more like:

€18.15
    €30.25
    €42.35

plus 1.21 cent per minute thereafter? :confused:

From what I can gather, the figures include VAT. Prices without VAT are usually quoted for business products 'cos businesses can claim back the VAT if they use the service in the day-to-day running of their business.

I was told that if you go over the, say, 90 hour limit a month, you pay 1.27 cent a minute. However, it seems that if you transfer over to ESAT, you only get charged 1 cent per minute. Maybe someone else can verify this.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by qwertyup
    Rang them today, and was told that if you have ISDN you can only connect to their service using it at 56k.

I suspect they mean, you can connect with the analog port on the Isdn P+P box? I've never known Isdn to connect digitally at 56kbps?

So, in effect, you cant connect with isdn :(

BAH....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by Kevok
    ...Apparently for a product that has yet to be announced the interest has been overwhelming...

Are you reading this, all you clever marketing people in Eircom who insist that there is no real demand in Ireland for flat rate access ?

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I say - Well done Esat - SOMETHING is ALWAYS better than nothing :) - ok, so it wont suit everyone , but it will suit a lot of people. It is also a sort of stepping stone to Broadband for many people. I think EsatBT have done their homework on this one.

Anyway I just had a long chat with the nice EsatBT people - To answer a few questions for ye :-

1) It's a "use it or lose it" service
    2) Prices include VAT
    3) Billing is by Email ONLY
    4) You dont have to sign up to CPS , but they wont say no!
    5) Being launched next week
    6) Access via freefone number
    7) Off peek only
    8) Overusage 1c we/even , 4c daytime
    9) Access is only 56k
    10 ) Only application forms are available , no other documentation until next week

Now then.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

/me watches as a tumbleweed bounces across this thread.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

well, now that utv has launched their product, I think most people will be going for utv, Much cheaper! I might be wrong cause some said you get disconnected every 2 hours with utv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

The Saloon door burst open and UTV walked in - The piano in the corner fell silent and the gun battle commenced.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

.... when the dust cleared and people started poking their heads back out from under their tables a lone corpse was found amid the wreckage.. one bullet-ridden super-rat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭irishgeo

with such an interest in it. i can imagine connection issues will be huge. i am a SNL user whats going to happen to us. :rolleyes: i be on the buzzer first thing to try to find out.

I wonder will the netstart people by connecting to the same network as the SNL people. its not exactly fast as it is, without a few thousand more logging into. down on my knees praying its a different number.

I be changing to UTV bar the fact you have to change to there telephone service. i not ther bill payer i dont think dad would be to keen to change the phone company.

One hopes there will be a dead super rat when the dust settles.

I wonder we will get a who shot the super rat controversy. and will dads and mums say to their children i was on Boards.ie when the Super Rat died. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by TmB
    /me watches as a tumbleweed bounces across this thread.....

I almost felt sorry for them till i rememebered The Letter ;)

POTM material there TmB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by LoBo
    .... when the dust cleared and people started poking their heads back out from under their tables a lone corpse was found amid the wreckage.. one bullet-ridden super-rat

that's great. LOL :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Dustaz

I have to say that reading through this thread, I've been astounded at just how short some people's memories are...

Ah well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

Same here. I swore I'd never go back to Esat, and I've still no intentions of!

Even now, that bl"u"dy letter gets on my nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

At the first meeting Elana and I had with Esat after the letter, I told them that it was the worst PR/Marketing exercise I had seen in over 30 years in business, that they should really think hard about how they were alienating a group of customers that were by definition highly switched on to the net (potential broadband customers, etc.) and suggested that they try to come up with something to win back support.

It's taken them 15 months to do so and UTV immediately come up with a far superior offering that will probably wipe out the Esat offering.

Poetic justice in there somewhere :)

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I still owe them quite a bit of money actually :p

I really am ecstatic over the UTV offer! :) With all the flabbing about Eircom and Esat have been doing, they're about to loose thousands of customers (utv being smart enough to introduce a phone service too!). Must be a real kick the in the teeth for them, makes me feel so warm inside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I never received any application from Esat. And I should have gotten it today. And this service isn't officially launched yet. Does anyone think a price adjustment may be in the works in lieu of UTV Internet's overwhelming competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by unknown_a38
    Hi,
    I was told by the sales rep. that you also get some hours free with each package.
    €15 - 30 hrs + 5 hrs free
    €25 - 60 hrs + 18 hrs free
    €35 - 90 hrs + 32 hrs free

Overall I think that this week was a good week for Internet users in Ireland. We have for too long being paying exorbitant prices for very often a poor service. I must stress – we won the battle but the war goes on. Broadband in Ireland means a large ribbon or piece of string.

But I am very interested in the above quote – Has this been confirmed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just like to confirm that the users still on no limits are not affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Cork
    But I am very interested in the above quote – Has this been confirmed?

Remember those hrs free are misleading, no such extra free hours ...they are included as part of packages

As said b4 this is them:

€15 - 30 hrs
    €25 - 60 hrs
    €35 - 90 hrs

Mayb esat will respond to utv offering...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Muirthile

Just thought that if anyone wants to look at Esat BT's T&C's for NetSmart you can download them here (it's about 800kB).

Here's an interesting extract:
    3.5 In the event that a Customer of the NetSmart Service fails to use their Allotted Minutes in the appropriate month these minutes will not be carried over to the following or any subsequent month.
    3.6 In the event that a Customer of the NetSmart Service exceeds their Allotted Minutes any additional internet access minutes will be charged to that Customer at the prevailing Residential Internet Service tariffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

PLEASE tell me you're not about to join?

Thanks to everyone who's joined UTVip. We are delighted with the response and are confident that you'll enjoy the service levels.

Regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Cork

Overall I think that this week was a good week for Internet users in Ireland. We have for too long being paying exorbitant prices for very often a poor service. I must stress – we won the battle but the war goes on. Broadband in Ireland means a large ribbon or piece of string.
    Not only broadband, but the wholesale service from Eircom, FRIACO, needs to be available for sustainable and good value flat-rate 56K. It is important to remember that no matter how successful the broadband campaign is, it will be several years before it is available in every part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Muirthile

Originally posted by Scott Taunton

I wouldn't touch NetSmart with a 50ft barge pole, now that UTVip is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Smiley

Scott Taunton posted:

Scott, you're the managing director of UTVi...

Up until now you and your associates have been courteous and helpful without slagging off the competition.

Let us make our own minds up, we all have different circumstances to consider.

Hell it is difficult enough trying to do a price comparison. I still haven't sorted it out yet. When I do, I'll make a decision based on what's best for my particular circumstances.

But I appreciate UTV's efforts so far, even if I'm not burning a hole in the carpet rushing to sign up straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

Originally posted by Smiley
    Up until now you and your associates have been courteous and helpful without slagging off the competition.

Smiley, you're quite right. My post was on the back of enthusiasm for UTVip, and one or two glasses of Shiraz.

As I've previously stated, we're about extending choice for Irish internet users. NetSmart does that too. Given the environment that we all operate in, it's another way to reduce costs for users and may suit some better that UTVip.

Genuinely, I hope NetSmart (and UTVip) succeed in order to demonstrate the demand for fixed internet costs.

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    one or two glasses of Shiraz.
    Sláinte. They were well earned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

light users of the net might find netsmart €15 - 30 hrs a better option
    but most ppl on this forum are heavy users :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement