Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL / Esat BT Launch New Product

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Muirthile

Originally posted by tuxx
    light users of the net might find netsmart €15 - 30 hrs a better option

Pratically noone will go for the NetSmart 90 hours option now, unless they use Esat for their phone line. There will probably be a few who will go for the 60 hours option to save €5. But there should be a significant number of light users who'll go for the €15 30 hours option as this would reduce their bills by up to around €13.80 a month.

This is important because now the different types of internet user will have a choice of what type of off-peak flat-rate access they can have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I will be taking netsmart ninty hours option, why because I dont fancy getting the flick off the internet every two hours If UTV were to offer a service at higher cost with out the 2 hourly butt kicking or to extend it to something similar to what net smart will be doing only kicking people off at 6pm and 8 am then I would go for utvip

btw I dont pay for hosting my website cos I use brinkster which is free, no adverts either poluting my site.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Pratically noone will go for the NetSmart 90 hours option now, unless they use Esat for their phone line

I am using esat but as soon as i heard bout the new kid on the block (utv) I jumped ship. Esat and eircom dont deserve our money , they are the biggest bunch of muppets I ever had the misfortunate of dealing with. There customer service is disgraceful, they and anyone who got the letter knows how badly they dealt with us. And there new net offer is a joke. Rant over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

fcdunne - dont be so harsh, the uk broadband, flat rate sceme is only something we can dream of and most of their 56k and ISDN flat rate dial up services incur a 2 hour cut off

its not that major, for downloading ect programs like get right where u can stop and go on most files/programs would suffice

baz

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

still tho all the download managers on the internet are no good to you if you get an engage tone when you try to reconnect after two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Esat were allegedly reviewing the product on Friday. At managerial/director level except the major player was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I have to agree with a previous poster here, in that I WAS gonna go back to Esat when they initially re-launched their service, but I have no hesitation going with UTV now. I still have that bloody letter hanging on my wall, and I'm not gonna let that go lightly. And similarly with Eircom, were they to release a flat rate product, I'd still go with UTV. At least they've shown plenty of interest (as seen in other threads), and are honest and open with their position. Hopefully they can release a decently priced broadband product soon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I'll be at the launch of the new Esat product at 11 on Monday morning as IrelandOffline have been invited. So we'll have the full details of the offer and we'll know if any changes have been made.

I'll be at the launch of the new Esat product at 11 on Monday morning as IrelandOffline have been invited. So we'll have the full details of the offer and we'll know if any changes have been made.

Some how I doubt it, they always seem to get so close then manage to mess up big time on obvious things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I still have that bloody letter hanging on my wall, and I'm not gonna let that go lightly.

Good man kamobe, hold that grudge. And I'm not being sarcastic either -- when all is said and done it's obvious that Esat knew they were wrong, but they never even had the common courtesy to apologise. That's just plain ignorance.

Some how I doubt it, they always seem to get so close then manage to mess up big time on obvious things.

At least that tosser Conlan-Trant isn't with them anymore anyway. Small mercies.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Good man kamobe, hold that grudge. And I'm not being sarcastic either -- when all is said and done it's obvious that Esat knew they were wrong, but they never even had the common courtesy to apologise. That's just plain ignorance.
    I agree that ESAT's handling of the nolimits terminations was appalling, but what what is our message to them now that they are one of two companies negotiation with Eircom for FRIACO? I think we can all agree that FRIACO is hugely important for the development of the Irish internet market. Once this deal is in place, it will apply to all ISPs.

I can fully understand why people might hold a grudge against ESAT for their past behaviour, but we must bear in mind that grudges, in themselves, don't move the process along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

A grudge only maintains enemies and rarely wins friends, and in the final analysis probabily represents a waste of energy.

I am a great believer that people (or corporations) can earn a second chance, wether ESAT has earned this or not is up to you.

They are coming out with their own internet-access deal, and are pushing for FRIACO, can I fault them on either of these counts, no. In fact, the fact the attempted to run a no-limits type services in the first place at a time when the incumbents power was (is) absolute, is evidence of the companies market foresight.

Ok they handled the culling of the top-end users woefully, no argument here, but they do seem to be making an effort on behalf of the consumer today (well more of an effort than most). ...

I would imagine "The Letter" would not have gone out in that format if at all had Esat been under Bill Murphy's control. He actually does seem to understand the concept of paid for a service want to be provided with one and also that customers are actually assets not nuisances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ISTR it was the commercial director who may have instigated the cutoff, Dennis somebody I think. ConlanTrent was forced to take the flak (plenty) for it....not surprisingly he is no longer there.

It is still a textbook example of how to evaporate years of goodwill in one illconsidered mailshot, considering that ESAT /IOL had some of the longest continous customers of the Irish Internet sector going back to EUNET/IOL in 1993/4

M

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

ESAT continued to bill me for No Limits for 5 months after I was cut off. This was after repeated calls explaining I was dropped, no longer on the service, and would appreciate an accurate final bill, which I would gladly pay.

It took 2 registered letters, months later, to get their attention.

I am sorry, but trying to gouge me for service which had been terminated after The Letter, and then threatening me via a collection company after I tried a number of times to get an accurate bill??!? No mercy. No. Nay. Never.

Call it a grudge if you like, but I call it utterly foolish to return to a business relationship that was handled in such a manner.

They messed up with more than just The Letter.

Originally posted by Banished-She
    Call it a grudge if you like, but I call it utterly foolish to return to a business relationship that was handled in such a manner.
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that you do this. My point, and I think MDR's, was that grudges, in themselves, won't help bring about FRIACO (the wholesale flat-rate product from Eircom) which is important if we want to see a flat-rate market develop.

Obviously, at the end of the day, one has to weight up the pros and cons of any retail offering and among the cons will be one's experience with the company, but without FRIACO, the choices will be limited and expensive.

The fact that Esat is negotiating for FRIACO does very little to sway my dislike of the company. What, they're doing it solely for us? Get real guys. But at least UTV are making an effort. I don't see an Esat rep coming here to talk to us. I don't see an Esat rep coming here to say: "Yes, we screwed up with NoLimits, but we'll make sure it won't happen again." Why? Because they're chicken, because they can't stand up for themselves in an argument. Not a company I want to deal with, thank you.

Oh, and my dislike for Conlan-Trant has very little to do with The Letter. It's been explained to me several times that he wasn't ultimately responsible (although I don't neccessarily believe it, because we've proved several times over that the management of Esat Clear/Fusion were bare-faced liars). What annoys me is that he never had the guts or the courtesy to respond to my queries when I was PRO of IrelandOffline. That's just sheer ignorance.

Like I said, Esat can bite me.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Banished-She
    ESAT continued to bill me for No Limits for 5 months after I was cut off. This was after repeated calls explaining I was dropped, no longer on the service, and would appreciate an accurate final bill, which I would gladly pay.
    I think Esat's billing department just generally sucks. I'm having problems with them everywhere:
    • In work, we have a 512K Esat leased line. They're still trying to bill us several thousand euros for the leased line in our old offices which was disconnected back in May.
    • At home, my flatmate is having problems with the NoLimits billing. He's been paying the bills, but for some reason the payments aren't registering on their system and they're sending him final demand letters. He's spent a long time on the phone trying to sort it out, to no avail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ihatemushrooms

Jaysus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sick of reading all this sh*te and continuous attacks on companies that are not to blame for the state of the market.

I think its priceless!!!!

This Show your complete lack of understanding about wahts going on & you guys are Ireland Off Line!!

What you should be saying on these boards is that users should only get Internet Access through UTV or Esat as Eircom are solely responsible for the size of everyones phone bills each month. Thats FACT!!!!!

FRIACO has been available across Europe since 1999. Eircom haven`t budged one inch in that time. They wouldn`t budge either unless competitors acted, they have been using their position to hold up FRIACO for years and you people pay them money every single month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a grip No Limits broke down because of Eircom refusing to offer a wholesale access rate, the product was launched because the market was supposed to change!! that was in 1999 Eircom have been taking money from users ever since and would be happy to do so unless Esat and UTV made an effort to drive the market forward.

By using Eircom as an ISP your doing exactly what is keeping them in a holding position. Eircom are to blame and our still (year is 2002) regulated market.

So stop whinging about waht Esat did if they could have had a wholesale rate from the incumbent you would still have surf no limits!!!!!!!!!!!! FACT!!!!! It wasn`t anyones fault so don`t blame anyone individual You are showing your ignorance.

Eircom and the Goverment are to blame

Originally posted by dahamsta
    The fact that Esat is negotiating for FRIACO does very little to sway my dislike of the company.
    My bringing in ESAT into this thread was not so that people would like them. What would be the point of that? How might it help IOFFL's goals.

What I said was:
    I agree that ESAT's handling of the nolimits terminations was appalling, but what what is our message to them now that they are one of two companies negotiation with Eircom for FRIACO? I think we can all agree that FRIACO is hugely important for the development of the Irish internet market. Once this deal is in place, it will apply to all ISPs.
    What, they're doing it solely for us? Get real guys. But at least UTV are making an effort.
    I think this is a little patronising, if you don't mind me saying so. Where do I suggest here that ESAT, or indeed any company, are acting in anything other than their own interest? It just so happens that FRIACO is also hugely in our interests.

Fair play to UTV for bringing out a retail service in advance of FRIACO and dangger has welcomed the move in the press. It is great that UTV can offer this sort of thing even without a fair deal from the incumbent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ihatemushrooms

B]i don`t see an Esat Rep coming here to talk to us[/B]

UTV are having a field "selling" their products to us for free of course they are going to come on.

Damhasta - Who are you using as you ISP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Full NetSmart details are now up in
    this thread

Damhasta - Who are you using as you ISP?

If you read the threads, you'd know. Go away little man.

SkepticOne, I wasn't responding to your post exclusively.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Closing this cos:

1. The details of esats offer have changed radically

2. It seems to have run its course

If theres any reason to keep it open, moan at me and i might re-open it*

* or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement