Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How this is going to work.

Options
  • 03-09-2002 2:19pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well our first order of business is to think through a few problems of organisation.

1. Licensing VBB etc... how do we structure the development
    2. Security of access to the code library
    3. Maintainability of code snippets over version changes (ie the work that has to be done every time a new release of VBB is made)
    4. What projects people want to work on.
    5. Who's on the team.
    6. Copywright on code.

ok, not everyone can just be given access to the code library. We need to have security of code as I've no intention on opening up our database to people I dont trust so first thing is decide the team involved and stick to those people as trusted individuals.

That means some people are going to be turned down for direct access until we grow to trust them.
    Thats a pity cos I like the idea of community driven coding but its just frankly too risky with all the little arseholes running about.

On copywright, we need to protect ourselves from someone later on accusing us of breach of copywright so everyone will be asked to give Boards LTD a lifetime license to use their code as an asset of the company.
    This is a good solution I think because we are then covered for the use of your code and if someone writes something really cool and wants to resell it then they can do that too.

What do people get from this? Probably not very much if I were being honest. Possibly a pint or two if we ever make any profit and indeed one of the projects we'll have to look at will be helping boards.ie become more sustainable!
    We'll credit everyone with their code and there will be some fringe benefits but if you are looking to make a big wodge of dosh from coding then this probably isnt for you :)

In the end people dont have to do anything really... if a project interests you on the list then knock yerself out. If nothing interests you on the list but you have a good idea yourself, then put it on the list!

If you dont feel like coding this week.... *shrug* next week will do (unless there is some major panic about something). This is going to be run as a fun, interesting experiment rather then something that eats our free time....

So, there you have it... thoughts? should we break these points out into threads of their own?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

On copywright, we need to protect ourselves from someone later on accusing us of breach of copywright so everyone will be asked to give Boards LTD a lifetime license to use their code as an asset of the company.

Definitely... as air tight as possible and everyone should have it made 100% clear to them that it is Boards property. Speaking from recent experience, I've been involved in a situation where an individual had a difference of opinion who's property a large portion of code was.

Mmmmm, ... Intellectual Property!!!
    What do people get from this?

On the flip side, taking the "Regi says Oop's" analogy, if something gets fscked up the volume of people affected and the number of mail's you'll get is huge.

Gotta go ... I'm in the middle of one a massive load of SQL and PHP ;)

ttyl

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

On the "what if it goes wrong" front, well we'll be peer reviewing code and testing too but if it goes wrong we'll just put the previous version back and twat someone :)
    Sure we break Boards all the time :)

UPDATE:

I've talked to the VBB guys and they are very tight on code copyright. They will allow us distribute the structure of the database but not working copies of VBB. They WILL let us run a test version.

Thats actually not as important as I had previously thought because we dont really want to interface with their code we just want to talk pretty much directly to their database (if at all as some of the things we'll be doing may have their own databases...)

Anyway, the new machine is coming together and we've fixed some of the problems we were having with the system so we've taken another step towards getting ourselves setup.

I'm gonna try and get you guys out for a pint somenight in Dublin (if you can make it, no biggie if you cant) just so we can have a chat person to person.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by DeVore
    ....and twat someone :)

Let me guess...that will be Regi :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Generally Regi does the fixing and he's far to nice to twat the responsible person....

I, on the other hand, arent.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Incorrect MySQL call ..... That's a twatting.
    PHP arse over tit ..... That's a twatting.
    Poor commmenting .... That's a twatting.
    Infinite loop ..... That's a twatting.

Yip, this is gonna be [glow=2] fun [/glow]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Its nice to see that vBB are willing to allow the DB structure to be circulated. The question is, how much of the structure is Boards willing to give away ;)

TBQH, if someone wanted to plagiarise the vBB source code they'd be able to dig up a copy anyway, so theres no real reason for them to be overly protective.

Its nice to see that things are getting underway.

As for pints/meeting in Dublin, it sounds like a nice idea but getting all the way up would be awkward.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

In terms of security, I can implement and support restricted access to cvs repositories via ssh.

I'll post up exactly how that would work at some stage ...

I'll try to spend time reviewing code for security problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

char*somestring;

sprintf(somestring,"%s",What'd mean ... 'security problems'?\n);

Originally posted by Typedef
    char*somestring;

sprintf(somestring,"%s",What'd mean ... 'security problems'?\n);

I didn't know that two lines of code could have so many bugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

char*somestring;

sprintf(somestring,"%s","What'd mean ... 'bugs'?\n");

Allocate a buffer before I smack you.

And change your nick until you learn some C.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeVore
    This is a good solution I think because we are then covered for the use of your code and if someone writes something really cool and wants to resell it then they can do that too.

That'd do it.

Making it a "work for hire" (usually applies to employees but could be framed for this too) would give boards.ie copyright of 95 years on the thing but could potentially cause problems if the person wanted to use their own code elsewhere.

Lifetime (or perpetual) license to use the code would be a better move.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement