Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows reg errors

• 03-09-2002 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

ive just installed windows onto my pc and when it rebooted a msg came up saying windows registery error pls restart your computer . this wont allow me to do anything else it just keeps the message ive reinstalled the os just to make sure that it installed fully and its doing it again ive switched the ram just to make sure

dose anyone have any ida what could cause this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Cause its never worked .. it could be next to anything!

Just reinstall Windows.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 danari

yep done that twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...you're not using an old AMD processor (K6 family) by any chance, with a Windows 9x OS? It sounds suspiciously like a problem that used to plague those systems that needed an MS patch to fix...

Care to fill in the details on the hardware and software?

Gadget

its a p3 700 128mb pc 100 via chipset .. erm trying to find what mobo it is think its a msi .

as for software trying to install wi98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

cant blame os for not recognising chipset that postdates all versions of w98 and probably winme as well (ya have a chance with ME but w2k pre sp2 is too old too)

try xp or a w2k with sp2 or sp3 slipstreamed. They should recognise chipset so they can talk to peripherals n stuff n configure the plugnplay properly.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Hmm... I'm not all that certain that Win98 predates PIII/700-based systems...

There are a few of reasons why Windows 9x may spitout that error... here are a couple off the top of my head:

1) Timing loop problems (AMD K6 only)
    2) Too much RAM (if memory serves, Win98 can whinge if more than 512MB is installed

See if it starts in safe mode (press F8 when the "Starting Windows 98" message appears - more realistically, this means stabbing F8 repeatedly when the BIOS gets close to finishing) and select "Safe Mode" from the menu. If that works, you most likely need updated drivers. Have you checked whether that chipset neets one of Via's infamous 4-in-1 drivers?

Gadget
    (Going out of the loop for a couple of days)

thx for the help lads .. ill give it a try now in a few mins ive got win me hear also ill see if that will work .

Advertisement