Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting sixth year; starting to study??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Yeah, I'm starting what you all call 6th year. We don't do Transition Year in our school, being small, understaffed and poor.

I'm trying to do work from 6pm to 9pm each weeknight, homework and study included in that. But most of the homework the teachers set us is study work as well, God bless them.

The hardest subjects to study, in my opinion, are Irish and English, because they're both illegitimate children of an exam.

Maths and Applied Maths are fairly simple, if you know how. Except for part c in Maths, which refuses to budge. But it's only 20/50 marks, so you can miss one or two of them, as long as you start them at least.

Accountancy is easy enough too, it's all practice.

Biology, Chemistry and French are more learning than practice, but they're not too tough if you pay attention.

OK, to work. Woohoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

In all honesty i dont know how someone could do 6 hours a night, imagine doing all that study and still not getting the points you desire:(.

At the moment i am doing supervised study for 3 hours on mon,tue,thur(considering upping it to 4) and 2 hours on friday and none whatsoever come the weekend or wednesday. This i feel is a minor achievement for me, given that i did nothing throughout the whole of fifth.

My bastard subjects would have to be german and geography due to my incessant hatred toward these teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

Planning to do 4 hours, 3hours, 6 hours whatever is easier said than done. The last thing you want to do after coming home from a hard day at school is study and do homework. i start school about 9:00 and dont get home until 4:45 i usually slack for a while and dont get homework started untill 7:00 that leaves very little time for study. i hope to be going to after school study soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

I'm repeating the leaving cert this year.. I'm back less than a week ( santa ponsa holiday forced me to miss 2 weeks) and my attitude is totally changed..
    When you hear those people telling you stories of how they did nothing.... well they got nothing on me.. I was Top student in first year.. getting all A's then i just went downhill.. got a mediocor junior cert.. did Fu<K all in fifth yr.. i mean FUC<K all.. the teachers kinda gave up on me after being kicked outta English, Irish & Maths class... ( well english i went into a new class eventually) but for Irish and maths i missed half the year sitting in with first years... Never did homework in fifth year ( why i got kicked out) engineering wasn't so bad, had cool treacher, Biology.. fell asleep in 2 outta 3 classes (really) i remeber drinking half cough bottle one time.. was dead for the whole double.. And Art i was fine.. cool teacher.. and i like it.. I failed most of my tests in fifth year..

Then in sixth year i thought i could change my attitude totally... Didnt work AT ALL... i got worse... failed every test bar Art ( i think) at the xmas tests.. didnt write more than a page for any of them.. i had the worst "I don't give a fu<K" attitude... For the mocks i was told by several teachers it was the worst set of results a student had ever gotten in the skool... i didnt show up for half the tests.. never studied... got 10 points..:) everyone got a good laugh out of it.. for the LC i think i studied the nite before... i didnt hand up engineering project or write up... i failed that.. stayed in bed for physics.. failed maths... missed one paper of Irish.. ( but i got D3 cuz of my irish primary skool) passed the rest.. but having failed 3 out of the 7 including maths i had failed the leaving... I ended up with 160 points...
    Had i done no study at all for 5th and 6th but done my homework.. i could have got 300+ easy...i am now repeating.. ( barely got back in) and i need 400 points... if i get it the teachers will all sh!t their pants... i know i can if i study.. but whether or not i can i have yet to find out...

I believe for those who have the same attitude as i had.. and find they cant study.. well then u can't! I had a lotta **** goin on outside of skool...ur better off to take a year out and come back ( i wanted to but i was made stay) they told me the experience would be an advantage for next year.. Thats BS i failed... altho it helped me in that i now know the layout of the papers... :) yep i was that bad...

I'm doing
    ENGLISH
    IRISH
    MATHS
    BIOLOGY
    ENGINEERING
    ART

all higher bar maths... i gotta teach myself biology though..:( the class was to full to get into..

I'm gonna do 4 hours study a night.. starting tomorrow..;)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Christ flynn, thats tough going.

I am in LC yr. difficult enuff to get started, and to keep going.

rED, one of my mates is currently school champion of foozball, undefeated, care to challange?

Time spent studying is relatively pointless once you start going past the 3 hour mark, after 2 its tough going aswell, unless u are some kind of machine.

The school provided us with a seminar on study skills from the "Student Enrichment Services", which i found to be very useful.

This is centred on methods of study, as opposed to time spent. However, timing is critical.

This: http://www.studentenrichment.ie/studytips.html is some of the most astoundingly useful ways of studying i have seen. I got it on a booklet given to us after the seminar, but this appears to be the same stuff.

If you are having a lot of trouble studying, motivating yourself, try to get in on one of these seminars, they're a big motivational and confidence booster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

the leaving cert is piss easy to pass, but to do really well it involves alot of work.

Advertisement