Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise on Buying 1L Cars...

Options
  • 03-09-2002 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I did a hunt last week for insurance. I'm 20 and on provesional wit zippo on the road "insured" experience. Anyhewwwww, the best quote i could get was for a 1-1.3L car. Oh and the only people that would quote me were Quinn Direct (5,000 third party...), everyone else told me just to ask them as they were the only ones doing under 25s. So gonna be payin off the insurance for ages, lowly part time worker , part time student Gotta start before i'm really old.

So if anyone has any recomendations or advice please shout up. Be it on what or what not to buy, what to look out for. It looks like i might be getting a Toyota Starlet, and goin to check it out in a local garage tomo, i know some people workin there so at least the car should be okay if not the price.

*sniffles*

[off topic] got a quote for an NSR125 of 4000, couldn't believe that one, the guy said that a CBR250 would be cheaper, which i already knew but 4k, for a bike ffs, its not as if i live in a city, small town, Kildare [/ off topic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Get a Fiesta - very cheap to run and surprisingly fun to drive.

Did you check out the Hibernian ignition scheme?

I think the link is : www.hibernian.ie/ignition

More info in a recent thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59507

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I suggest a Mini Studio2 or Mini Mayfair (Coopers/se7ens being 1.3i and expensive insurance). 997cc cars. Lovely to drive, like you REALLY drive them. And by fu(k sir, have they got a little class.

I had one of each before getting my now cooper engined mini 7.

actually here's apiccy of my mini studio2

http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm/mini

sold it like 2 years ago now so its actually 6 years since i bought it.... miss it too i must say.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

So if anyone has any recomendations or advice please shout up.

buy a motorbike, you'll get from A to B faster, they're cheaper, much more environmentally friendly and last but not least...fun to drive

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Depends on how much you really want to spend!
    Give us some idea on your budget and we`ll try and help.

€500-€1000---Fiesta 89-94 (1.1) reliable,and cheap to run
    Daihatsu charade 1.0 diesel--Most economical 1.0l car you can buy-Ive gotten about 200 mile to £5.00(old money)

€1000-€2000--Opel corsa,Fiesta(low mileage),Micra etc
    €2000-€5000--newer models of all the above
    €5000+Toyota Yaris,Opel Corsa.

Personally if I had 5000+ to spend Id go for the Yaris for toyotas reliability(BTW I dont work for Toyota)

In the €500-1000 bracket Id go for the charade-Cant get more economical than this but make sure you get the 1.0 non turbo one or else they load your policy.
    1000-2000 go for the Fiesta-reliable and fairly economical and parts are cheap.
    Hope this helps
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

:) thanks,

1. i got a bike but its an nsr125 and the insurance is only 1000 cheaper (4000) than a 1L car. Ah i love it to bits, tis depressin not been able to insure it but will nxt yr if i can save a bit. Other than that i'll be using the transport to go to college which is 30miles. And although i'd get a bike if this were a hot county in a heart beat i think a car is gonna do me better for getting to college in the horrid winter.

2. mmmmmmm i'm only looking to spend around 1000 on the car cos its gonna be driven fairly hard and the insurance is 5000 on it so can't really afford much more than that. I can't afford 5000 as it stands so will probally be paying for it over the year so add around 800-1000 interest. Thats the way its got to be :(

3. Hibernian ignition scheme? I didn't check for this cos Hibernian said they were not takin on any drivers under25 on provisonal. I think ya need a full licence for it.The only people that would quote me were Quinn Direct. Tis a pain, i just need to get insured for 6months to get my drivin up to scratch and take my test for the full liecnce early nxt year. I'm confident of my driving ability, its something that came easy to me since i was small but i still need lots of day to day practice which i haven't been able to get cos of the insurance so this kind of a leap just to get started, and feck the price there nothing much ya can do when only one group will quote you.

Ya see buying the car or bike was never a problem for me ya can always find a good deal somewhere but its just the insurance thats a pisser. But basically i can get any 1L car, i like the fiestas and they clean up nicely. I'm waiting on a guy who's getting a new car to get his regestration and stuff sorted so he can try sell me his old Starlet, should find out be the begging of next week. It were meant to be today but ah well. Oh and mini's are cool but just too small for me :) the da used to have one and he stuck a bigger engine in it and double exgausts and nice other bits. T'were brillant and it feckin roared when ya drove it, your ass nearly touchin the ground :) scarey but fun but i'm 6'0 and legs would get a bit cramped under the stearing wheel.

Thx for the advise i'll let ya's know how i get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm 6'4" and drive Opel Corsas I was in an 84 model then an
    89, both were high-milage and compared to my current 96 model
    pretty damn basic/raw but they're dirt cheap and parts even cheaper plus DIY is'nt bad on them. That said Starlets almost never break down. For a grand you could get something around
    91-92 I'd imagine. Provided you look after it you should get many happy years motoring out of it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Before you get car, check with quinn direct if they insure it or not.

Reason is that they told me before that they do not insure cars pre-1992, maybe because i was on provisional :confused:
    Also it makes no difference to your premium if you got 1L or a 1.3L, as long as its below 1.4 L

I drive a 1996 Suzuki Alto(pre 1996 models are crap), very efficient on petrol...well worth the buy, 993 CC engine :)
    It cost €2800 and had 20,000 miles when i got it recently.

Else get any japanese car, they are the best !!
    You should be able to get a 1992 model micra for little more than €1000, but watch out for that NCT also :)
    Dont tell insurer about mods done on that starlet or they will screw you for more dosh.

After that said, it would be probably cheaper for you to get bus/taxi in for that 30 mile journey than pay that extortionate €5000..work out the sums !

Originally posted by mike65
    I'm 6'4" and drive Opel Corsas I was in an 84 model then an

I used to drive an '89 Corsa. What a horrible machine that was - I'm never going to buy an Opel/Vauxhall again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

Don`t buy a jap!!!!!!!!!Stay with the Europeans.Any volkswagen group car is good.They hold the world record on the most fuel efficent production car.The lupo.My family have owned five Seats and are very happy with them and their performance handling and fuel economy.If you are going to drive hard your best bet is to buy a bike otherwise its a car all the way.Get a full licence. I have one and three years driving under my mothers name and the insurance is only a grand on a 1.3 car.My cousin is 20 (so am I) and drives a Renault 19 Supervan.He has a provisional and is under his mothers name.The van is a 1995 1.9 non-turbo diesel and his insurance is 250 euros cheaper than a 1.0 ltr starlet. PRICE= 1750 EUROS.The price is so cheap cause its a van.Hope I helped

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

1. i got a bike but its an nsr125 and the insurance is only 1000 cheaper (4000) than a 1L car

ah ha! at last I have found an advantage to being an old bat! my insurance on me yamaha sr 125 was 500 euros, which annoyed me greatly as it had gone up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

if i was young and looking for a starter car .. i'd buy this :)

0.660 engine, and only 3500e, you don't need to buy a bland generic lump of ****e that looks like every other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I drive a Peugeot 106 and prefer it to both the clio and corsa , (only other small cars i have driven) , its a comfortable ride and has a nice bit of leg room for a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Posted the above post under the Bullman by mistake it is me who drives the 106

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    Daihatsu charade 1.0 diesel--Most economical 1.0l car you can buy-Ive gotten about 200 mile to £5.00(old money)

haha what were you rolling downhill?
    theres not a chance in hell you managed that..

IR£5 ~ 7litres of fuel (at about 70p/l) which is what about a gallon and a half.. so you managed a whopping 130mpg?
    come on.. give us some credit when even the smoothest vvti engines would be lucky to average 45 :)
    0.660 engine, and only 3500e, you don't need to buy a bland generic lump of ****e that looks like every other car.

thats a honda isn't it? the similar suzuki cappucinos are woeful (i've been in one before.. not a nice experience) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by gurramok
    Also it makes no difference to your premium if you got 1L or a 1.3L, as long as its below 1.4 L

You sure you are not thinking of road tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Originally posted by Kali

thats a honda isn't it? the similar suzuki cappucinos are woeful (i've been in one before.. not a nice experience) :)

yeah, a honda beat, i'd presume it would be better than a suzuki, but like hav u ever driven a 1.0l or under car that wasn't woeful? :)

Originally posted by Bo Duke
    Don`t buy a jap!!!!!!!!!

If you're on a budget, do buy a jap. All Japanese firms manufacture cars in Europe now anyway. Combine that with mostl use European styling and designers and what's the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by jd
    You sure you are not thinking of road tax...

nope, 2 months ago when i was ringing up for insurance, i was given quotes very similar(friggin exact in some cases) for cars under 1.4 L.
    Ended up getting a 1 L....it was a low mileage car plus tax on it is 129 E.
    If i got a 1.3 L, same insurance but tax is nearly double to 231 E.

I wouldn't notice much difference between a 1 L and 1.3 L(other than power thing for climbing hills :) ) as i only drive about 2 miles to work every day.

Beruthiel:
    1. i got a bike but its an nsr125 and the insurance is only 1000 cheaper (4000) than a 1L car

ah ha! at last I have found an advantage to being an old bat! my insurance on me yamaha sr 125 was 500 euros, which annoyed me greatly as it had gone up!

a Yamaha sr 125 is in a much lower group than the nsr125 i say you'd probally pay 1000+ for it. the sr125 for me is 2500 but i don't have one :)
    gurramok:

1. Before you get car, check with quinn direct if they insure it or not.

Reason is that they told me before that they do not insure cars pre-1992, maybe because i was on provisional
    2.Also it makes no difference to your premium if you got 1L or a 1.3L, as long as its below 1.4 L

3. After that said, it would be probably cheaper for you to get bus/taxi in for that 30 mile journey than pay that extortionate €5000..work out the sums !

1. yup i did, they were the only ones to quote me and i have the quote number which is a good for a month as far as i remember.

2. Ya they said i could go as far as a 1.3L but that it would be about 100 extra not much but, i will get the 1.3 if i can. Still gonna be a farty car :)

3. Well i gotta scab a lift as far as the bus, a 65, and the times for it suck and the lift to it is only good at 7 in the morning and someimtes not in college till 12, so loads of times wasted doing that and waiting for it on the way home and then getting a lift is a real pain, between that and credit to phone/txt for lifts its probally a bit chearper but not a huge amount and ya don't got the benfits of a heater and a radio :) but most of all the freedom to go when ya gotta. Besides i gotta start somewhere and start earnin my no claims and gettin my experience up. Then take the test in a few months. I can't get insured under my parents names cos of the company they with and they got maxium 70% no claims and loads of extra insurance stuff so that not gonna happen. Besides its first named driver experiece that bring it down.
    Bo Duke:
    Any volkswagen group car is good.

Yup i like the golfs, not the beetles they meant to be guzzlers.

Cheers again, still waitin to see this Starlet, the owner getting a new car so gotta wait for that to be sorted. Will be looking around at others. What do people think of Fiestas? There is a **** load of them in the buy and sell.

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    if i was young and looking for a starter car .. i'd buy this :)

heh heh only looked at this, thats pretty cool. But i don't have 3500 to spend on it. But cheers something to think about for next year. Tiny engine in it! Never seen one of those before.

• Advertisement

ah got a nice 91 Toyota Starley it is in grand order. Goin for the nct in the nxt week or two. The garage already did a pretest type thing and said it would defo pass. Gotta get new tires tho 140 yo-yo's. grrr.

oh got my insurance down too with Axia with there satillite driver program thingy, 70% after 3years but gotta watch those speed limits. Pretty good.

Advertisement