Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite CD-R's ?

• 03-09-2002 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

well ?

i need to stock up on some soon, going to get about 100ish so anyone that has any good/bad experiences with any partitulat brands
    im really looking for some good ones this time - sick of coasters tbh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Philips 40x/700mb are good. Don't know where to get them in this country though. I got a spindle of 100 in new york a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I spotted some in the Viking Direct catalog a few days ago.. very cheap but they might be crap.. they were viking brand.... err... I'll go now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

probly some rebadged Riteks or CMC's
    pretty crappy tbh

im leaning towards verbantum - the metal azo bl00 ones not the shít green/gold cmc ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    verbantum - the metal azo bl00 ones

Very nice discs.

I mainly use Memorex ones.

Verbatim crystal and Dataright are good ones aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

stay well away from maxell ones, got 20 of them a year ago & 10 of them fcucked up whilst burning, the other 10 deteriorated over time (music ones that have only been played once before are now totally unplayable:()
    vivastar ones (cheapo's from the argos catalouge) are alright, i've only used 10 or so of them, but they all turned out ok.
    creation ones seem a bit iffy, i got 2 singles ages ago & they both burned ok, but only certain cd drives can read them. i think that was just a dodgy batch of them, cos i got a spindle of them afterwards & they all turned out ok...

verbatim metal azo's are pretty decent alright, as are dataright & memorex, i think i've had 0 bad copies out of roughly 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I actually like using to maxell ones (nice and handy, accross the way in argos), and i've never had a disk fail(x20 speed). Memorex on the other hand :mad:, Bought a box of ten, argos were out of maxell, EIGHT of them failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Tman - those vivastar ones from argos seem to deteriorate over time in my experience.

BTW i think argos' new catalog has the philips 40x ones I mentioned now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Verbatim..are very very very VERY reliable. I've been using them fer ages and they dont deteriorate, and the CDS read perfectly afterwards.

I've only been able to pick them up in 20 packs at about €22. Its not bad, you get those thin plastic cases too.

Je, those Vivastar ones are grand at first..but after a few months they 'flake' .

Maxell are good too...oh and stay the hell away from Imation. They're really bad..especially for big, single files like Divx Movies :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I've always been using those *Good* Verbatim's also. I can't remember the last time I've gotten a coaster from them (along with nero).

Also a mate of my gets them for me for €7.50 a box of 10. They come with the proper plasic cases, in a box. I hate those spindel CDR packs you can get. Makes me think the discs are scratched before you buy them. I know they're not, but I think it's a very poor way to package something so easily scratched. I don't even trust the plastic sleve cases TBH.

But if there was something such as posh CDRs, this would be them. They are a far cry from the shíte that you'll find in most shops.

I'm not saying they are the best, they just haven't let me down like the many others that I've tried have. Once you find a reliable brand that's readily available at a decent price. Stick with it!, or buy in bulk. That's what I do with the Verbatims. I buy shít loads maybe once a year, and they always last. Right now I've tonnes of the buggers :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭eire_insane

I got a few of aldi cos they were cheap they are called Tevion and can get 10 for 8 euros and this with proper box with them as well find them decent enough but I burn at 8x speed so maybe different at on a faster drive .Got a one or two coasters but thats to be expected.

Also got 40 discs of a memeber of boards and not one coaster yet and they burn at 40x 15 left so that cant be bad also get them cheap if you buy in bulk.

I am also tihnking bout buying the 100 discs off argos or Currys are they worth it or shall I stick with I have?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I hate those spindel CDR packs you can get

Err, that depends if you are regularly buying cd's.
    Buying 100cd's with those cases are a pain since where are you going to put all those cases !....plus the weight factor of cd's :)
    Case take up too much room !!

Also those philips cd's in argos are quite good, used 200 of them so far, not one fail....50 for about €40 i think the price was.
    Recently got 100 Smartbuy cd's on 2 spindle's from Komplett, not one fail yet but remains to be seen if they deteriorate over time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Verbatim crystal and Dataright

Heartily agree with the above. I buy a lot of CDR'S. The worst I ever got were the Vivistar's in Argos, they only last a few months if left anywhere but in a box. Even on the spindle in a room with natural light they all faded and went orange !

Currently I use Verbatim, dataright and am experimenting with BenQ (Which seem to be good so far).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Vivastar are awful. End of story.

I got some ProStore CDRs from Komplett about a month ago, and they are only above average (they don't work properly in my car stereo!)

Where is the best place to get a Verbatim spindle online?

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Vivistar suck. Traxdata are rock solid. Verbatim are the best.

Go to www.121cdr.co.uk , best place to buy all cdr / dvdr imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Tman - those vivastar ones from argos seem to deteriorate over time in my experience.
    never actually bought any or used them in my own burner, but the ones i copied before christmas still seem alright. most of them have an unreadable part, but i put that down to my mates burner seeing as 3 cdrw's i used in it turned out the same.
    i might copy all my vivastars onto decent discs after reading a couple of these comments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Bought a spindle of Maplin own brand a few months ago, 50 for about €30.

Haven't had any trouble with them myself, though a mate did have one go bad during a burn (he's not the brightest tho :)).

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ive had perfect results EVERY time from hundreds of Viastar CD's. Really really good quality. Bought them in Peats (100 per spindle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Burned 150 Vivistars at least. No problems. Until now. Now, most of them which are more than 9 months old and still on the spindle are orange around the outer fringe and unreadable. The ones kept it boxes are fine. No I didn't leave the spindle in direct sunlight, but in a room with natural light.

AVOID !

thanks for all the feedback, looks like il have to keep my vivistars in some leather cases, or in the back of a press under a bed etc

anyone got any decent places where one can buy cdr's

mainly uk places charge flat rate delivery which is usually around €30 on top of the bill ;/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

www.121cdr.co.uk is a brillent site wish i saw it earlyer,just buying a few 100 cdrs but what is the difference between the Verbatim CD-R80 DataLifePlus and the Verbatim CD-R80 DataLife cus there is about €12 difference per 100,i will be using them for backing up mp3s/files and making audio cds.

• Advertisement

id definitely get the DataLifePlus - much better quality cd's imo

btw that site is charging me €20 euro DELIVERY for 100 cd's with NO jewel cases :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

DataLifePlus are the superAZO disks and well worth the extra money. Have used 100+ of these over the past few months and have had no failures (other than Windows hanging). Have had a few problems reading the disks on DVD's, but this seems to be a general CDR/DVD problem rather than a Verbatim one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

www.marx-computers.com on the North Circular Road will ship at cost, and depending on how many you buy may give you a discount to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I got some cool sony 1.4gb blank cd-rs in town a few weeks ago
    They are 33 euros for 10

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

1.4Gb- I take it that you mean blank DVD's- not CDRs......

No.. they are cd-r
    I got some cool sony 1.4gb blank cd-rs
    Can't you read?

Actually they're DD-CDs (double density cds)
    You might have noticed this new feature in Nero.

Yeah.. You'll more than likely require a firmware upgrade to use them

Originally posted by Repli
    Yeah.. You'll more than likely require a firmware upgrade to use them

iirc you need a whole new cd burner to use them.

Sony developed it a while ago, so i'm not sure about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

www.121cdr.co.uk is a brillent site wish i saw it earlyer

Have many people here ever heard of these crowd or bought off them. I'm nearly ouyt of media and I'm due a big bulk buy soon. I'm tired of trawling throught the Compustores and Argos' of the world looking for reasonably priced media and I'd like to order off these crowd. I havn't seen prices this good for branded 40x media anywhere else.

I'd just like to find out a bit more before I commit credit card details.

Advertisement