Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a site....

Options
  • 04-09-2002 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

righty oh, im just setting up a site,
    a small part is just a personal site.

i was wondering what would be involved in putting a chat room or 2 on my site?

i know you can get somewhere else to host one for you and i might just do that and save me the hassle.
    but has anyone ever set up their own? with all the code etc. behind the chatroom, on the site?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I wonder why you'd want one in the first place. You'd be far better off setting up a bulletin board and just using MSN or ICQ or AIM or mIRC or something to chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

One way to put a chatroom on your site is to visit www.quickchat.org Once there click make code and it gives you code, you just put that code in your html file and you have a chatroom!

I forgot to add that you also make a room for yourself. Its all done under the make code page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

All hosting365 hosting packages come with Forums for free :)

You can also download one of many forums from www.hotscripts.com and many other websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If your host supports PHP and MySQL setting up a bulletin board is not complicated.

Chatrooms are a different matter.
    You might consider an interface to an existing IRC network and let your users open a channel, as most hosts won't allow you to run IRC bots directly on their servers due to security issues.

The best for a chat IS quickchat, it is soooooo easy to setup and you will be up & running in 2 mins. It is just java code that you put in your html!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Also use www.brinkster.com

asp support
    no ads
    great service

Then use cjb.net to mask the name. But this adds an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

thanks mofu, the quickchat one sounds good, ill prolly try that.
    have you used it yourself? like on your own site?

the main reason i want one on my site, is that i want to be able to use it in college with friends etc.
    i probably should have mentioned that in the first post.
    because itll be mostly used on the college network, itll have to be able to work thru the firewall. thats prolly something else i should have mentioned earlier aswell.... :rolleyes:
    the easier it is to login, register etc the better.

the bulletin board idea sounds good, but instant chat would be way better if you were trying to organise somethin etc. ill have a look next week when im back in college.

i was planning to use cjb alright, seanpuddin and ill definatly look in to brinkster. thanks.

blacknight, is it difficult to interface to an existing IRC network?
    is that what is done in the boards chatroom? because i remember trying to enter the chatroom in college last year, but the applet wouldnt even appear so i assumed that there was a firewall and left it.

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It shouldn't be too hard to setup some kind of interface using Perl or PHP. There are quite a few around, though you might need to change them to your own specifics.
    If you're on a college network you might be able to do something else - depends on what they allow you to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Whats dis got to do with hosting? Moved to webmaster

You can use quickchat through a firewall. I use it on my webpage and it is an exellent service. Our school is also protected by a firewall and I always use quickchat at school and it works. Another good free host is: http://www.coolfreepage.com they give you php, mysql suppot! Also check www.freewebs.com no ads and a good host.
    hope this helps,
    Mofu

oh yeah,
    with cjb.net you can also pay a small free and there are no ads. My coding group and I use it for our website. We paid and no ads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I put up a chatroom a few months ago for a larf. Its nice and fast (PHP frontend and saves some data to a mySQL database).

Anyway its at http://chat.rymus.net if you want to have a gawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

quickchat.org is cool, because all you do is type in a username and your in, saving annoying forms and email confirmation. And also there's tonnes of people there always, so you don't look like a retard!

Yea, but he wants to use it for a personal chat room, so he can create his ownroom with it, then put he code on his page and he has his won personl chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Hmmm, set up an irc room man, I really dislike those java applet chat clients, and you rarely find many people on them for personal forums.
    You should look into doing a forum instead, if you havn't any experience in setting up perl or php scripts, you can always register a premade one at ezboard or something, at the expense of banners at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

back in college now in one of the labs,
    and quickchat wont work. :( :mad:

it just wont load the applet for some reason, the progress bar comes up and never gets anywhere.

ive tried others aswell,
    the boards chatroom wont load up.
    a decent chat room called chat-forum.com i found @ www.static105.org gives me and error and wont load up.

so the easy option is out the window... :p

rymus, i went to that link that you posted and im looking at phpheaven.net site now.

how did you go about setting up your site?
    what requirements do you need host wise?

its looking very proimising....

Thats wierd. At our school we chat and it works, it is also protected by a firewall, how long did u wait? we wait quite long, with a grey applet.

Advertisement