Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on adsl modem

Options
  • 04-09-2002 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I am going to get eircoms adsl 1Mb connection, but do not want to get the adsl router modem from them.
    I have a lan setup with win 2k pc's & a linux box. I am using the linux box as the firewall with shorewall ( www.shorewall.net ) running on it. It has 2 ethernet cards in it, where one will be going to the adsl modem and the other to the hub.
    The linux box will be the router.
    Will an adsl modem do instead of the adsl router modem.
    Will the transfer rate be interfered with if an adsl router modem is not used.
    And what is a good model to get.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Shadow-Lord
    Will an adsl modem do instead of the adsl router modem.
    Yes. The Linux firewall will do everything a "DSL Router" will do, given an ADSL modem.
    Will the transfer rate be interfered with if an adsl router modem is not used.
    Not in any meaningful way, no. Unless you want it to be - you can use Linux to set your own limits on certain types of traffic so you can get decent pings in RTCW while downloading ISOs.
    And what is a good model to get.
    Good question. Any modem that supports G.dmt and PPPoE should suffice. Both modems Eircom would like to sell you work with Linux, and using one of Eircom's modems reduces their scope to blame the modem for line faults. The USB model is a little more effort, but you won't be on your own - check this account of Eircom's USB modem working with i-stream and Linux.

Personally, I'm trying a risky approach. A PCI modem that cost me about 70 euro inc. VAT. If Eircom stick to their schedule I should be able to report on the success or otherwise of this strategy later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rolo2912

I got it working with a D-Link 504 Router within 10 Minutes.

There next model the D-Link 804 Router
    is just under 100 Euro incl. VAT and shipping on microaid.ie .

Advantage is that it is external and you can configure it via a webbrowser, so no problems on the Linux front there.

Advertisement