Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a PC

Options
  • 04-09-2002 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Where in Cork is a good place to buy a pc. On the grounds of value for money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Advantage in Douglas? I bought a PC there a few years ago, still using it, a bit noisy but at least if anything goes wrong (it did once) I just dropped it in early on a Saturday morning and picked it up at lunchtime. They have a site at http://www.advantage.ie

I have no financial or other interest in them. PJ is a bit taciturn but "ok".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Where exactly is the shop. I can't place it

Just down the road, by a few buildings, from the Credit Union. Or, before you come to Daily's shop, on the right.

So is it between Daily's and that M&M video gaf? Have you ever been into the Cork Computer Clinic across from the Ford Garage near the college of com?

No, I've passed it but I'm not in the market for a new PC. I've a laptop from work and I watch DVD's on it (apart from doing work on it), lying in bed with the headphones on, lol. My home desktop is a 300mhz/64MB RAM machne and does all I want it to do. I'd love a new DELL PC but can't justify buying one. When my Credit Union loan for my home PC expired I renewed my car with another loan. When that expires, in 2 years, maybe I'll upgrade the PC!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

buyandsell.ie :)

or your nearest LIDL store. AMD Athlon, 256 mb RAM, GeForce 4 etc etc....id buy if i hadnt already got a dell 3 months back..

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

plZZ dont buy anything from that ignorant guy in douglas.

for reasons i wont go I had problems with the owner, and anything in there i personally guarantee u could get cheaper somewhere else.
    my friend bought a puter off them and he could have got same spec off dell bout €150cheaper.
    well its up to urselves. but id have a good look around before buying something from there. :)

[EDIT]Sorry but I think some of what you said was a bit over the line so I just toned it down [/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I took a quick look at the site, it does seem expensive and crap. Another crap place to get a computer is Flor Griffin. Crap build quality, cheap parts, rubbish service etc. I'd keep away from LIDL too, they sell cans of frickin' baked beans and not computers. That doesn't leave you with much choice, if you aren't a computer buff then you'd be best going for Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Ive just put in an order with MCI, they used to have the shop by the bus station yunno the one thats now an "adult store" its all seperates there so bsically you have to build it yourself but im getting a 2.4ghz P4, Gf4Ti4600, Soundblaster Audigy Platinum, 80 gig HD, 512 RAM, monitor Motherboard, tower case, keyboard, processor and system coolers, DVD Rom drive etc and its gonna cost me about 1,800 minus whatever cut they give me and i will get one cause the mate whos sorting it all out for me is a good customer. Thats seems like a fairly good price to me waht do you think?

sry bout dat daveirl.
    but if u went in there u'd understand.
    :)

• Advertisement

Has anyone been to the Cork COmputer Clinic near the Fiat garage net to multichannel. Is it any good it seems pretty ok. I want to try and stay away from Soundstore, Flor Griffin etc. cause i know i could get what i get their cheaper from some place else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The only way you'll beat internet prices is to find a 'Thursday special' at ALDI or LIDL, etc. I don't know how important getting a PC exactly the way you want it is to you. Anybody try PC Superstore? They seem to attract a lot of clueless idiots and might do enough trade to give a good price.

Avoid Flor and Soundstore like the plauge. Compaq and Pakard Bell too ;)

pc superstore complete rip off.
    i got my GeForce 4 Ti4200 128DDR for $170
    in there it's €300.
    sad thing is ppl dont know wat they're doin and go in and end up takin the advise of the guys in there. i say a guy but a gf4 ti4600 in there for €580!!!!!
    i've never been in that cork computer clinic. i think thay do mostly repairs. but id say u might good deal on something refurbished there.

Yah thanks for the replys i'll try that computer clinic ad get back to you

Ok this is what they gave me. I just asked him for something to do all the normal stuff and run games. Is this good bad? i'm not exactly a techy kind of guy.

AMD Duron 1.2Ghz Processor
    40GB Hard Drive
    256MB PC133 SDRAM
    52X CD-ROM Drive
    3.5” Floppy Drive
    Midi ATX Case
    On Board Sound
    G-Force Excalibur 32MB AGP Graphics
    56K Internal Modem
    Keyboard & Mouse

Total €699

Options

Windows© 98 Second Edition €169
    Windows© XP Home OEM €199
    32X12X40 CDRW €139
    16X DVD (instead of CD) € 89
    17” SVGA AOC Monitor €229
    17” TFT AOC LCD €799

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by DamienH
    Ok this is what they gave me. I just asked him for something to do all the normal stuff and run games. Is this good bad? i'm not exactly a techy kind of guy.

AMD Duron 1.2Ghz Processor
    40GB Hard Drive
    256MB PC133 SDRAM
    52X CD-ROM Drive
    3.5” Floppy Drive
    Midi ATX Case
    On Board Sound
    G-Force Excalibur 32MB AGP Graphics
    56K Internal Modem
    Keyboard & Mouse

Total €699

well if i was building a system like that it would cost me about €500 maybe someone from boards would build u one?
    i dont think u will find a better price then that in a shop in cork
    if u are going to get that system and will be playing alot of 3d games id go for a slightly better 3d card

what would be a good card for this system. A resonable price that i could afford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

something like this would go well with a duron 1.2 ghz
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=17482&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl
    worth the money if your fairly big into games

What o/s will i get Xp or 2000?

• Advertisement

Personally I'd go for 2000 but for a gaming machine, rather than a "workhorse" it would have to be XP. 2000 is a bit lacking in drivers still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭kmb

damian hi,i sent you a pm re your system computer,let me know if you are interested as a better system can be built cheaper with better specs..ie dvd lg@60 euros etc etc256mbddr @85 euro

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement