Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest place to buy a Lucent Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card

Options
  • 04-09-2002 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

You could try ebay or fab-corp.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You probably wont get a new Lucent Silver, only a gold... Buffalo are exactly the same card as the Lucent we got ours from www.vbnets.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

'Agere / Lucent ORiNOCO Wireless PC Silver Card'
    for 77 dollars on the fab-corp page. I don't see any reason why you'd have trouble getting the silvers, no-one I know has had,
    quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

thx everyone.

i got it off e-bay in the end, like you suggested Brendan.

$67 including posting, from some guy in Singapore. I was actually kinda suprised when it actually came in the post.

I tested it out in DCU the other day, and it was pretty sweet. It was a sunny day, and I was sitting outside on the grass outside the library with full signal strength, downloading programs about 10 times faster than at home and checking my mail. (i've always wanted to sit on the grass with the sun shining and use the web, ever since i read that first article on wireless so so long ago.).

anyway thx for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Dam!
    Now everybody is goana be using the grass on DCU campus with their laptops buzzing. Thats my corner by the bike rack!! stay away!!

• Advertisement

haha.

ok. you can keep your corner :P

just wondering. were you able to get your laptop set up so you could use it for printing, or accessing the college shared hard drives?

seems to be just a basic internet connection via simple proxy that they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

There is some really cheap rebranded silvers on ebay at teh moment, im tempted!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2055736102

also it seems you can upgrade the silvers to wep128 (gold)

http://www.paris-sansfil.net/index.php/UpgradeSilverToGoldEn

$40 each. and 200 available. very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I am prepared to be corrected on this by someone who knows more about it than I do (most ppl probably) but I don't think having the same basic hardware makes the whole package the same as an Orinoco.
    Allow me to explain...
    I got two Nortel cards off ebay, one pci and one pcmcia just to link my laptop and my desktop and share the internet connection, delivered to my door for €100 all in. Now I knew that Nortel were not a big name in wi-fi and there were plenty of more popular cards but the price was very right and hey, 802.11b is the standard so they can't be all that different right?
    The pci card was fitted to my desktop and installed under win98 with no problems. The pcmcia on the other hand only came with software for win98/2000 and I was using xp pro. The Nortel software could not find the card and it took weeks of messing about to finally get it to work, but not with the proper software. Even now the built-in wireless networking part of xp does not see the card but I can get a connection.
    These Nortel cards are rebranded Symbol cards. Symbol have proper drivers for winxp but the os will not use them as the symbol name is obviously written into the code and it seems to recognise that this is not the correct driver for the Nortel card.
    This is where my knowledge is paper thin. Some of the driver files are simple .txt files, so can I just edit these to replace references to the symbol card with the name and numbers of my nortel card or is there more to it?
    I'm just making the point that there may be headaches ahead if you don't know exactly what you are getting/ what you need.
    If anyone can answer my questions or make any suggestions I would also be grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

I did a similar thing with a Lucent/Agere card OEM'd by Buffalo. I used a binary file editor to go through all of the install files to see if any referred to the cards by their "IDs" and modified any entry I found.
    Hope you get the idea from this:
    Link to NetStumbler Forums

/MK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Yup, sometimes you might need to "hack" the drivers a bit or flash the firmware. But there is enough information available on the net to do so.
    For anyone still looking for cheapish silver cards, I have some going for €55 (cue shameless plug)......

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

got two of those cards from ebay, they are the biz, 84 for the two to my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

whats the deal with updating to 128bit WEP? Is it just a case of downloading a firmware update and flashing the cards or is there extra moolah involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by sirlinux
    got two of those cards from ebay, they are the biz, 84 for the two to my door.

Can you get PCI adapters for these cards? If so, where can you buy them?

Advertisement