Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

Originally posted by Muirthile

That shouldn't be a problem as your phone number won't be changed by changing over to UTVi.

Thanks for that. Your view concurs with mine. However my concern is that the No Limits phone number is a special 13 digit number which Esat has some agreement with Eircom about call charges.

Presumably UTV would not charge for calls made on this number off peak but I'm beginning to wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I didn't pay them for it until 2 years later...

I didn't pay them at all. I never will. What many people seem to forget is that you had to pay the first month in advance, much like a security deposit for a flat. Companies take it for granted that you'll forget about it. I don't. Esat can bite me.

adam

My problem was that my mum was hounding me to pay them. Because of this... long incident, I've lost a lot of faith in Esat. Then there was the fact I got cut off for changing numbers, even though my mum decided to let me keep the # it was on (according to them, they got an email from my mum to change the #, even though it was through the phone and she said don't change the # :mad: ). Took me about 4 weeks before I found out what happened. Then about 2 years later, they said I wasn't taking advantage of the service :( Well Esat, I've had enough. As soon as I move, I'm signing up to UTV and never looking back. Btw, congrats guys for bringing some form of Flat-Rate back to Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Um, if this new service kicks us off after two hours, how will it be possible to download large files that take a good deal longer than that? Large files like OS X updates or system software, for instance.

This seems a bit problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by gurramok

According to esat's website here

Daytime call rates i think are same, 3.8c a min on both esat + utv
    However off-peak are cheaper on utv @ 0.95 c/min in comparison to esat 1.27c/min. Mobile rates are same i think.
    Internet calls on esat are 1c/min off-peak, however utv offer 150hrs worth for €30.

However i believe IOL gold is a sub service paying your 20 odd euro a month extra for 4c/min peak, 1c/min off-peak. Same applies to any eircom subs service(open to correction here).

Utv package is per line, so whats stopping you dialling nolimits on a utv line?...having a nolimits and utv internet package on 1 line is ok as nolimits afaik does not need to to be on esat's home phone service.

Hope this helps :)
    Anyway, one way or another you would have lots of off-peak hours !! :)

As i said already - IOL gold accounts and eircom Paid accounts use a 1891 number and it costs 1.9c/m peak times. not 4c/m, where you got that idea from was mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

True Yoda :), good point, the only thing u can do is use download accelerator or something and hope that the server ur downloading from supports resume, so u can jus reconnect and resume where u left off, i dont know but i think most servers support resume hope it helps :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i havent come across many servers that dont support resume so u should be ok
    imo if your downloading a large file on dial up and not using a program that lets u resume your a bit thick

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

For downloading I use Getright, it can automaticlly reconnect itself if you get disconnected. Nearly all major download servers support resuming now even fileplanet (satans on download servers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Just a quick question for Martin-UTVi ( Super Cool Newbie :) )
    Would it be possible for you to give us some sort of indication as to how many of us have signed up for your service so far? + Thank you for all the work you have done so far.

OHP

P.S. Watch out for the Eircon RAT! / Mouse I bet he deserts the Sinking Ship too. Eircon GLUG GLUG GLUG! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Bank holidays are considered as off peak by eircom, therefore i suspect UTVi will also consider it off peak. so the answer is Yes. :)
    from the faq: Off-peak times are 6pm to 8am Monday to Thursday, and from 6pm on Fridays to 8am Monday mornings. Public holidays that occur on weekdays are classified as normal working days (St. Patrick’s Day, May Day, New Years Day etc).

so the answer is no :(

I was just on to tech support asking questions -- because the web hosting service UTVi offers seemed to me to be half what Esat Business is charging me (and it was). These people know how to do business.

Anyway, the nice chap I was talking to said that there was rather a lot of interest in jumping from Eircom to UTVi net.

Frankly even if Eircom were to offer a comparable service tomorrow I would STILL change.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Acous

from the faq: Off-peak times are 6pm to 8am Monday to Thursday, and from 6pm on Fridays to 8am Monday mornings. Public holidays that occur on weekdays are classified as normal working days (St. Patrick’s Day, May Day, New Years Day etc).

so the answer is no :(

Public Holidays are different to Bank Holidays - so the answer is yes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Public Holidays are different to Bank Holidays - so the answer is yes
    oh... cool :)

Originally posted by Muirthile

AFAIK the 1332 part of the number switches you to esat's network for that call, so you shouldn't get charged by UTVi for it.

That certainly makes sense. So who bills Esat for the my no limits internet calls - will it still be Eircom even though I've signed up to UTV?

Originally posted by Ruu
    True Yoda :), good point, the only thing u can do is use download accelerator or something and hope that the server ur downloading from supports resume, so u can jus reconnect and resume where u left off, i dont know but i think most servers support resume hope it helps :D

Well I can ask the Appleseed crowd if their servers support resuming (yup lads I test for 'em). Know any download accelerators for OS X?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Yoda
    Well I can ask the Appleseed crowd if their servers support resuming (yup lads I test for 'em). Know any download accelerators for OS X?
    If you're not afraid of the command line, GNU wget supports resuming downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Bank holidays are considered as off peak by eircom, therefore i suspect UTVi will also consider it off peak. so the answer is Yes. :)

Actually if you read the small prints, if a bank/public holiday falls during the week, UTVip will consider it a normal week day i.e. peak until 6pm...I find this very unfair, Martin, can you comment on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Is there anything specific I have to do to avail of the ISDN service. I currently run on just a 56k modem through the Eircom free service. I know a new modem is needed, but what about the phone line, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Actually if you read the small prints, if a bank/public holiday falls during the week, UTVip will consider it a normal week day i.e. peak until 6pm...I find this very unfair, Martin, can you comment on this?

Oh? That's a shame... I get free access on Bank Holiday Mondays, New Year, Christmas etc on Surf No Limits which is very handy since they're days when i'd be at home before 6pm.
    Think i'll stick for the moment with Esat...

If Bank Holidays are not classed as off peak then this is a serious drawback. Most Bank Holidays fall on a Monday - are these classed as normal working days by UTV?

We need definite clarification on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Count666
    Is there anything specific I have to do to avail of the ISDN service. I currently run on just a 56k modem through the Eircom free service. I know a new modem is needed, but what about the phone line, etc.

u need to have your line upgraded to isdn cant remember how much it costs its about €100 then its €35 euro a month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

I'll follow up on this tomorrow. It will depend on how we are charged to buy the calls wholesale. We would operate the same as Esat and Eircom in that regard. The wholesale calls will simply be bundled to us as peak or off-peak and we pass that on to users.

Clear as mud? I'll get someone to confirm tomorrow.

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

if the wholesale deal is uk based only your bank holidays will be uk ones, england and ireland substantially overlap.

norn iron has some very unusual bank holidays , i think that giving us down here the 12th of july may not go down well........
    many holidays are the same, xmas, new year, may , easter monday?

do clarify whether bank and public holidays are treated the same, eircon discounts on bank and public holidays, others on bank only. good friday is not a bank holiday for example but is a public holiday.

M

I'll get it all cleared up ASAP. We have a wholesale arrangement in RoI, based on the ODTR and Eircom interconnect agreements with OLOs.

We will be applying the same rates as the other operators, but let me get back to the board with exactly what that means.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

Another couple of questions for Scott or Martin.

1. Does the set up fee call of 3.87c also apply to peak internet usage.

2. Does the UTV call charge of eircom rate less 25% take into account the call set up. If I make a local evening call of five minutes with Eircom it costs me 6.35c. I calculate that the same call with UTV would be .95 x5 = 4.75 plus call set 3.87 = 8.62. This is 35% more. Am I making a mistake somewhere?.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I havea question, I'm so sorry if you have answerd already :(

Urm, I'm using eircom as my telephone company right now, it says if I want UTVip I have to change to them, how do I go about doing this?

Call seup charges do apply.

Most calls on the PSTN system are either very short in duration (answering machines, quick voice calls etc) or very long. On our flat rate services we see call averages of 30 minutes.

In either of these cases, a call setup charge is significantly better than a min call charge. A one min call off-peak would be 32% dearer with Eircom, equally a 30 peak time call would be 29% dearer with Eircom.

Your example of a five min off-peak call holds true. We're confident users will save on their call costs, but our flag ship is UTVip - delivering choice and savings to Irish internet users.

Eircom charge a min call charge of 6.35c and, as I understand, Esat a call setup fee of 3.87c. We use a call setup fee of 3.87c. Wholesale interconnection in the Republic of Ireland is structured in such a way that we incur a call setup fee from Eircom.

We're as up front about these issues and costs as we can be to enable you to exercise that choice effectively.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Will it be possible to dial the UTVip number for 64k access and then a local call number for another 64k channel? I use UTVinternet already and can start a call at 64k and then activate the second channel which dials the same number to get 128k. It would be good if I could change my first number dialled to UUTVip and then set the second channel to dial UTVinternet.

We're working on it now. We hope to be able to allow two subscriptions to combine the 64k channels of an ISDN circuit.
    Once in place, those with a single subscription should be able to connect both channels by making one local call and one free call (up to 150 hours) and those with two subscriptions will not incur off-peak charges for net access up to their 150 hours per subscription.

Hope that helps.

Scott Taunton

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Excellent feedback, refreshing to see a telco not taking their customers (or would be customers) for granted :) I really hope this takes off for ye guys, I'll be making moves to sign up myself tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

We're working on it now. We hope to be able to allow two subscriptions to combine the 64k channels of an ISDN circuit.

Awesome this will be great for gamers like myself. Any idea roughly when you will have this in place? I already signed up so I presume it will be easy to add it to my package :cool:

Advertisement