Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Hi Scott,

Just to be sure: Does the call setup fee of 3.87c apply to flat rate internet calls ( ie. off-peak internet calls using UTVip ).

Cheers,
    Zab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by Lionheart
    If Bank Holidays are not classed as off peak then this is a serious drawback. Most Bank Holidays fall on a Monday - are these classed as normal working days by UTV?

Ah, come on... it's what, 8 days a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

Originally posted by Zab
    Just to be sure: Does the call setup fee of 3.87c apply to flat rate internet calls ( ie. off-peak internet calls using UTVip ).

Calls within the 150 hour limit are free. There's no per minute or connection charges.

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

well played utv. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'm signing up to UTVip now, I've printed out my direct debit stuff and will be posting it on Thursday (i r too poor for a stamp :( ).

I was wondering if you release new and better services such as 24/7 flat rate or ADSL in the republic will UTVip customers have the ability to upgrade rather than cancel one service to join another?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    I was wondering if you release new and better services such as 24/7 flat rate or ADSL in the republic will UTVip customers have the ability to upgrade rather than cancel one service to join another?

Of course.

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

Originally posted by Scott Taunton

I'll follow up on this tomorrow. It will depend on how we are charged to buy the calls wholesale. We would operate the same as Esat and Eircom in that regard. The wholesale calls will simply be bundled to us as peak or off-peak and we pass that on to users.

Clear as mud? I'll get someone to confirm tomorrow.

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

Any update on this, Scott?

Originally posted by Nobody

Any update on this, Scott?

I passed to our carrier team and have not yet had a reply. I will continue to investigate.

Apologies for the delay.

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Hi Scott,

Can you confirm/deny that UTVi does not have any usenet servers?

Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Can you confirm/deny that UTVi does not have any usenet servers?
    Currently we've nobody upstream passing us back a feed.....so whilst we have usenet servers, there's no external traffic on them. We're working to get this reimplemented, but because of the fraction of a percent of our customers that used our own news servers, this has been a bit of a low priority (not to mention our recent product launches.....). And also because there are now so many public (ports 119 and 80) news servers out there, we're just not seeing the demand :(

I'd welcome some feedback on this issue, but please understand that for every 1000 users we have, 5 of them would be regular usenet users. I'll not even get minto the maths for bandwidth needed for taking a permanent full feed! (although we've always only carried the groups our users actually read) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

It looks like the lads in Nevada have been doing a bit of work, traceroutes from Eircom are now going through the UK rather than the US. Pings from Eircom are now ~ 33ms :) That might lower a bit as it looks like the network hasn't fully converged - u.tv is transiting through Worldcom and Nevada through as5388.net (if you do a traceroute from eircom to www.u.tv and 213.185.196.13 you'll see what I mean)

Boards.ie should be loading a bit faster from Eircom.net now too since it uses the same links.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi, great work UTV!
    I'm trying really hard to remove my
    monthly organ donations to Eircorn.

I work from home and use about 80-100 hours per month peak usage with a 1891 number.

If I change to UTVip telephony, will I still get
    1891 prices during the day, or will I be charged as a local call?

The 1891 Internet tariff is not mentioned
    on UTVs list of call charges, just a mention
    of non-geographic numbers.

UTVs telephone support said that it could
    be tricky depending on how Eircorn calculate the discount.

Can we get a definite answer on this?
    A change to local rate would cost me
    an extra €150+ per month.

That said, I'd happily pay UTV the €150
    for 100 hours peak if it was the difference
    between having UTVip and not!
    (From the cost calculator, 100 hours at 1891
    works out at about €142 with Eircorn inc VAT)

Any other home workers been doing these sums?

Looking forward to the now familiar speedy reply!
    Niall B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by niallb
    Hi, great work UTV!

If I change to UTVip telephony, will I still get
    1891 prices during the day, or will I be charged as a local call?

The 1891 Internet tariff is not mentioned
    on UTVs list of call charges, just a mention
    of non-geographic numbers.

Can we get a definite answer on this?
    A change to local rate would cost me
    an extra €150+ per month.

Niall B.

1891 calls are excluded from traffic carried by the CPS operator. Therefore calls to these numbers will be routed via eircom as before and billed at the normal price by eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Thanks a million,
    count me in!

Niall B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I've read that UTV lite only get's d/c'd every 12hrs in the other thread, can we avail of this too?

Im not too fond of r/c'ing every 2hrs as I play mmorpgs/rts and 2hr d/c seeps up too fast... rts games usually last 3hrs with 3 people, and that save online game... you know how hard it is to explain to a newbie how to get that working, and what an ip is? *bites on lip*

seeing as your ISDN package is great for gamers, it'd make it perfect if we werent cut off every 2hrs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

That was answered in the other thread too. it applies to all packages from UTVi. it has to do with the setup call charges that eircom apply. UTV would have to pay this everytime they cut us off, so i think this will save them money aswell as save us the trouble of reconnecting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Originally posted by Tizlox
    I've read that UTV lite only get's d/c'd every 12hrs in the other thread, can we avail of this too?

Im not too fond of r/c'ing every 2hrs as I play mmorpgs/rts and 2hr d/c seeps up too fast... rts games usually last 3hrs with 3 people, and that save online game... you know how hard it is to explain to a newbie how to get that working, and what an ip is? *bites on lip*

seeing as your ISDN package is great for gamers, it'd make it perfect if we werent cut off every 2hrs..

On the UTV site under F.A.Q

Q: Is there a session timeout?

A: This is currently set at 12 hours. In order to keep the cost of service lower for everyone, we may implement a session timeout. This is in order to deal with customers who stay connected for very long periods, often inadvertently. You will be able to reconnect immediately again.

The T's and C's have been updated to show 12 hours cut-off for both UTVip and UTVip Lite.
    Sorry for the delay but we have been involved in other customers and products:D .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

w00t! :D:D
    one last prob though. Lack of printer & credit card makes it hard for me to sign up. any other way?

w00t! :D:D
    one last prob though. Lack of printer & credit card makes it hard for me to sign up. any other way?

If you phone tech support on 1890 926111 we will send you out a direct debit form to fill in and return. Alternatively we do also take laser cards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dustaz, sceptre, there's an awful lot of double jobbing going on here, could you put a sticky up top pointing to the faq's for the UTV and Esat products, aswell as the relevant threads and a request that people browse them before asking questions? You also might want to mention in the post that IrelandOffline isn't recommending or endorsing the products.

If you don't have time, let me know and I'll do it this evening.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

*edit*, sorry just ignore me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Dustaz, sceptre, there's an awful lot of double jobbing going on here, could you put a sticky up top pointing to the faq's for the UTV and Esat products, aswell as the relevant threads and a request that people browse them before asking questions? You also might want to mention in the post that IrelandOffline isn't recommending or endorsing the products.

If you don't have time, let me know and I'll do it this evening.

adam

Done (or at least started) - feel free to PM me (anyone!) with suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Scott/Martin/Malcolm,

Is the sudden surge in demand to dial into UTV causing connection problems?
    I have been using UTV internet for a long time now and since I upgraded to ISDN over a year ago, I don't recall ever having a problem getting a connection to UTV first time. However in the last couple of days, I have had to try to connect several times (getting unable to establish connection after trying to verify username and password).
    Tonight I gave up trying and used Unison instead. I am about to sign up to UTVip but concerned that I may start getting connection problems that I never had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Beat me to it sceptre :)

I have bits to add, later date :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Um, PM's are very useful as are mails. I dont think this thread should be used for support posts :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by vicadd

i had some trouble connecting earlier, not that worried though

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

Originally posted by vicadd
    Scott/Martin/Malcolm,

Ditto...

:(

I take the point that this is not a support forum, but having replies via pm, I thought I'd just state that we have absolutely no capacity problems.

Three members of the forum having a problem though suggests that all is not 100%. If individuals could email support@u.tv or call us on 1890 926111 so any fault can be resolved.

I've checked usage for tonight which seems OK, perhaps there is an intermittant issue which will only be resolved when we can determine the issues you are having.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by OHP
    Just a quick question for Martin-UTVi ( Super Cool Newbie :) )
    Would it be possible for you to give us some sort of indication as to how many of us have signed up for your service so far? + Thank you for all the work you have done so far.

OHP

P.S. Watch out for the Eircon RAT! / Mouse I bet he deserts the Sinking Ship too. Eircon GLUG GLUG GLUG! ;)

You might have missed this so sorry for the re-posting.

The only reason im asking this is to try find out if your offer has been taken up by as many people as possible and if not, why? In other words if there is anything that can be done that might help make people see sence and realise what a good offer it is. And what can be done to inform more people about your outstanding service that has not been done already. I have already informed several of my staff whom I know signed up the next day with UTV. But good suggestions have already been made like doing a printable copy of what you have offered etc. maby like a Flyer seem to have been ignored. A lot of people do not actually use BOARDS.IE and therefore do not see exactly whats on offer. So an approx idea of how many people have already signed up with UTV will give us an idea of how many people we are missing and a printable 'Flyer' would help a lot.

Keep up the great work,

OHP

Advertisement