Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually I've no problem with users being helped get online just preferrably in a different thread, or better still in a different board.

I'll talk to you (UTV) in mail about this and see if we can help you help us.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by DeVore
    Actually I've no problem with users being helped get online just preferrably in a different thread, or better still in a different board.

I'll talk to you (UTV) in mail about this and see if we can help you help us.

DeV.

If that was ment towards me then I apologise. I was just trying to help. Sorry Dev.

OHP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Done (or at least started) - feel free to PM me (anyone!) with suggestions

Thanks sceptre.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hi Martin/Scott - This is a repeat of my request in an earlier post (I also emailed this to your support team last week, but no response yet).

Can you provide a more detailed analysis of your telephony charges for local, national, mobile & international calls in each of the three main time-bands (daytime, evenings & weekends). I'm particularly interested in a comparision against Esat Fusion.

The details provided on your website are a bit superficial (i.e. comparision against Eircom only for international, no details of mobile charges, no difference of evenings/weekends).

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

Our telephony rates are detailed on the site it gives a breakdown for peak, eveing and weekend. Mobile charges are the same as Eircom's per minute rates which can be checked via the Eircom site. We don't have a full comparision to Esat's charges because we have not been provided with that information ourselves. Their website only uses comparisions with Eircom also.

There are a number of providers of voice telephony and we can't list them all. Most people are familiar with Eircom's pricing, so we list that in as much detail as we can.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Scott (or Martin),

I don't know where I've suddenly got the nerve to be telling an ISP MD what *I* want in terms of ISP services but seeing as you've helped make it the norm here goes ;)

I too would like to see a package tailored to reasonably heavy peak time users. As a teleworking website manager I must login at least 4 times per day (during peak times) for anything up to 1 hour per session. I currently use a 1891 number for this.

Before I got kicked off Surf (no)Limits I had changed my daily routine to do more work at night time but now that I've returned to a day shift it won't be easy for me to change my work pattern again.

By the way, a hearty congratulations from me too on making a 'holy show' of Eircon and ESAT. I don't care what ESAT do to compete with you now, I will never return to them after being treated in the shoddiest manner it was every my displeasure to be treated in. The difference in attitude towards customer service between ESAT and UTVip couldn't be greater going on what I'm seeing here.

Also, even though I was am an Eircom shareholder I hope they eventually go way of the dinosaur as they deserve to do. I wonder how much they spend on the half-page adverts they run in the Sunday newspapers which I'd imagine are like money down the drain. If they could only see how FREE publicity and huge amounts of goodwill can be generated by good old fashioned customer service which takes advantage of new fangled technologies. My mum would tell me this is just how it was in the good old days when your local butcher or baker (or candlestick maker) would know you by name and get your exact order ready while they were sharing the latest gossip ;)

I hope you guys are putting together a press release to get some leverage out of this on the national newspapers. I'm amazed that I haven't seen any coverage yet of how there has been a phenomenally warm welcome to the new UTVip service offerings in tandem with a great outpouring of pent up resentment towards the incumbants........ etc, etc.....

Well done guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Here are most of the rates for Ireland

From my humble opinion - Eircom seems most expensive and ntl overall seem ot offer very good value for money but you need to decide for yourself and the VERY IMPORTANT FACTOR that not all these companies have a fantastic offering like UTVip.....Keep in mind that UTVip are entitled to make money somewhere , if they dont , they wont be able to offer the service in the longer term...that is just business!

Eircom
    http://mmm.eircom.ie/AtHome/WhatProduct/calc.asp

ntl
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/teletarifs%20euro.html

UTV
    http://www.utvip.com/ietariff.asp

EsatBT
    http://www.esatbt.com/esatcom/homepage/residential/bt_residential_homephone/bt_residential_homephone-pricing.htm

Chorus ( bugger all info here!)
    http://www.chorus.ie/telephone_services.html

Hope this helps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by trap4
    Scott (or Martin),

I hope you guys are putting together a press release to get some leverage out of this on the national newspapers. I'm amazed that I haven't seen any coverage yet of how there has been a phenomenally warm welcome to the new UTVip service offerings in tandem with a great outpouring of pent up resentment towards the incumbants........ etc, etc.....

I scoured the papers last sunday and listened to the Sunday Business Show on Today FM expecting some coverage but nothing except a passing mention in an article on WAP. I dispair of the Irish media at times...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

the bill payers, or "house gods" as I like to call em were on the phone today to utv-i, making sure I got all my fact straight. after explaining the snl situation to them, they asked them "what are the flat rate hours?" and the girl on the phone replied "oh,its the same as the old surf nolimits product, 6pm - 8am and all weekend" without any mention of the 0.95c charge after that... have utv-i got rid of the after charge or did the girl on the phone "forget" to tell me? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Originally posted by Tizlox
    have utv-i got rid of the after charge or did the girl on the phone "forget" to tell me? :rolleyes:
    Just a miscommunication Tizlock. Her answer sounds reasonable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

If you change to UTV - will you get 1 bill from Eircom 4 the line & another bill from UTV for the phone?

If you have 2 lines already going into the house - Can you Choose 2 companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

2 x line rentals to eircom

1 x all calls to Swtftcall
    1 x all calls to UTV

for example.

That is not a problem

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I was wondering what the 'My Account' does on this page:

http://www.utvip.com/index.asp?f=0.6225855

Would you be able to see your online time on a per month status (how much of the 150hrs you have left) ?

Originally posted by ando
    Would you be able to see your online time on a per month status (how much of the 150hrs you have left) ?

Not yet, it will be historic data. We're working on a real time system to track usage which will be accurate to about 98%. It will measure time logged on to our radius server, rather than call time itself, but hopefully will be of value nonetheless.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

There was a small article in the Evening Herald yesterday, in the Tech section together with a photo of Mr. Taunton and a model dressed up as a tiger... classy ;)

But the column gave most of the space to an article on bloody Video Editing software, sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jet_Fuel

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for offering this fantastic flat-rate service. I have one question. At the moment, from what I understand, the billing service is done via email (correct me if I'm wrong). Is it possible to have a bill sent out to a customer in his/her name if that name is different than what the Eircom billpayer's is? In other words, can I be charged in my name, rather than charged in the billpayer's name? ESAT's Nolimits billing did this, and you could also pay seperately from your main Eircom bill. Is this possible for UTVip now or in the future?

Many thanks

Eoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

I've been lurking here over the last few days and I have to say that Scott and his team are absolutely brilliant.

I still have the "no-limits" package but at least UTVIP have successfully removed the fear losing it, as I now have an alternative.

I hope they get the rewards and clients that they deserve.

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by Jet_Fuel
    Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for offering this fantastic flat-rate service. I have one question. At the moment, from what I understand, the billing service is done via email (correct me if I'm wrong). Is it possible to have a bill sent out to a customer in his/her name if that name is different than what the Eircom billpayer's is? In other words, can I be charged in my name, rather than charged in the billpayer's name? ESAT's Nolimits billing did this, and you could also pay seperately from your main Eircom bill. Is this possible for UTVip now or in the future?

Many thanks

Eoin.

The bill will be addressed to the name of the customer who signed up for the service and has provided payment details. As long as the customer has the permission of the lineholder to activate the service and is over 18 then they will receive the bill. The bill will show a charge for the internet service and a seperate charge for the calls. Any internet call charges over the set hours (150 for UTVip and 30 for UTVipLite) will be included in the call charge details. It is not possible at present to address the internet bill to one name and the call charges to another.

Well, I said I'd get back to you with some sort of solution for calls during peak times. We understand the concern of business users, as well as those currently using 1891 services.

We haven't yet been able to effectively model a flat-rate peak service, but are pleased to announce some changes to UTVip to reduce the cost of peak calls.

From Monday, users of UTVip or UTVip Lite will have the option of reducing their peak call charges to 1.8 cent per minute (including VAT). This will be available for an additional monthly charge of €10 including VAT. Our website will reflect the changes from Monday as will the signup details.

If you have already subscribed to one of these services, you can elect to take the additional service by emailing admin@u.tv giving your details and a request for the peak call discount option at €10 per month. We will also be passing these developments on to customers at the time of activation of their account.

We're quite excited that we're able to do this. The team are working on the implementation now. We see this as adding further choice to Irish internet users.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Good work UTVi

I'll take a pint of 1Mbps broadband while your at it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Not three bad at all, just did a few quick sums and 2 hours per day (peak access) with IOL Gold is €47.83 (1.93 cent a minute)and paying €15.24 a month for the honour as against 2 hours per day with UTV is €43.2 (1.8 cent a minute) and only €10 per month. Bye Bye IOL :D (Calculations at 2 hours per day, 20 working days a month)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Good product, good price, well tought out ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

I seem to be having some kind of record breaking Friday 13th here...

The Serendipities just keep on coming....

Hope everybody at UTV is having it even HALF as good...

(And everybody else, even Dustaz)

Gaye

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Sorry to post here, but I cant see an answer in the other thread where I originally posted... but does Bank Holidays use your 150 hours during the day, or are you billed as you would be on any normal day?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    From Monday, users of UTVip or UTVip Lite will have the option of reducing their peak call charges to 1.8 cent per minute (including VAT). This will be available for an additional monthly charge of €10 including VAT. Our website will reflect the changes from Monday as will the signup details.

Words (mostly) fail me. I'm just amazed.

(edit)
    Wouldn't put it past people to sign up for the lowest UTVLite package with this tacked on to use the Net all day though - hope you can stay alive with this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by crawler
    Here are most of the rates for Ireland

From my humble opinion - Eircom seems most expensive and ntl overall seem ot offer very good value for money but you need to decide for yourself and the VERY IMPORTANT FACTOR that not all these companies have a fantastic offering like UTVip.....Keep in mind that UTVip are entitled to make money somewhere , if they dont , they wont be able to offer the service in the longer term...that is just business!

Eircom
    http://mmm.eircom.ie/AtHome/WhatProduct/calc.asp

ntl
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/teletarifs%20euro.html

UTV
    http://www.utvip.com/ietariff.asp

EsatBT
    http://www.esatbt.com/esatcom/homepage/residential/bt_residential_homephone/bt_residential_homephone-pricing.htm

Chorus ( bugger all info here!)
    http://www.chorus.ie/telephone_services.html

Hope this helps....

Yes! But what phone company is the cheapest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by Mixie
    Sorry to post here, but I cant see an answer in the other thread where I originally posted... but does Bank Holidays use your 150 hours during the day, or are you billed as you would be on any normal day?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the delay in posting a response but we have not had clarification from our telecoms partner. We will try and have an answer posted on Monday.

hope you can stay alive with this happening.

We've stated our aim of giving choice to Irish internet users, but we've also stated that we're not doing this purely for market share. All of our products are configured to be profitable and represent value to consumers at the same time.

Nothing's changed in regulatory terms to allow us to do this. We've noticed, however, that value has not been passed on to consumers by our competitors in the past. Maybe we'll shake things up enough to ensure effective competition for future products, like broadband.

Our biggest disappointment is that our understanding of the framework has taken us this long. We could have had these products out months ago. We now understand the framework much better and will ensure that, where we can, we continue development of competitive products.

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by Scott Taunton

We've stated our aim of giving choice to Irish internet users, but we've also stated that we're not doing this purely for market share. All of our products are configured to be profitable and represent value to consumers at the same time.

Nothing's changed in regulatory terms to allow us to do this. We've noticed, however, that value has not been passed on to consumers by our competitors in the past. Maybe we'll shake things up enough to ensure effective competition for future products, like broadband.

<snip>
    Scott Taunton
    UTVi

*cough*
    Let me translate that:

For years now you have been fncked in the ass. So long in fact that you have forgotten what an a good deal which is win-win looks like. From your POV we look like messiahs but actually we've just decided that its good business to make a small margin and have happy loyal customers.

Eircom and Esat could have done this at any time but they are greedy sons of bitchs who couldnt bear the thought of not milking you for everything you were worth because lets face it, you didnt have any choice except to pucker up and take it.
    Now that we're around the others will find Jesus and bring you some decent products like they COULD have years ago.

That about sum it up? ;)

I think the other ISPs will find that techies are a patient bunch with long memories and held grudges.... how many people here have the ESAT letter on their walls again? :)

Anyway, Scott its 10pm on Friday, GO HOME!!!
    (actually, answer my mail first, then go home :) )

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement