Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by Yoda

Right. So here's another question: How much does it cost per minute during peak hours? How does that compare with Eircom local calls or with the Esat 1891 number? UTVip says: "As an incentive to UTVIP customers, we are offering peak internet access charged at only 1.8c per minute* for an additional €10 per month." (1.8¢) What if I don't pay the additional €10 a month? Is it far costlier, or is it impossible to connect during peak hours?

Without UTVipPeak for €10 the cost per minute for peak access is 3.8¢ and access is unlimited.
    Taking the €10 per month option your per minute charge is 1.8¢ campared to 1.95¢ for eircom 1891.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Malcolm was being polite there. UTV have launched a number of products, mainly in response to what is being said in this thread.

This thread started when UTP launched what they call UTVip the 150Hr a month off-peak bundle.

Since then UTV have launced a Lite package for 30hrs a month off-peak.

One signs up for UTVip or Lite Off-Peak .

Finally they launched a Peak package as well (name escapes me) . I am not sure if it can be combined with one or other of the off-peaks .

The peak package is directly comparable to 1891 access Except that you call a geographic number not an 1891 and you also pay less per month including VAT before you do so.

Full terms and condition for this service were promised for yesterday on the UTVIP site but are not up as yet...least I can't find them.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Originally posted by jeffmccrory
    Hi,

If users have their callerid permanently withheld they must use the 142,13513 prefix before dialing our 1890 dial up number. By adding the 142 prefix alone routes the call to Eircom and will be charged by Eircom at standard 1890 LoCall rates.

Try dialing the number from your handset and see if you can hear the modem tones.

If this does not work you will have to get Eircom to lift the hold on your outgoing CallerID to use the UTVip 1890 dial-up number successfully.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    UTV Internet

Anyone having trouble with CLID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

We've made a few changes to our terminal equipment in the ROI and all seems fine as far as we can see. We're pinging idle ISDN customers between 50-75ms. Could someone email me at martin@u.tv with a few dialup tests pinging 195.218.116.1 ?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    We've made a few changes to our terminal equipment in the ROI and all seems fine as far as we can see. We're pinging idle ISDN customers between 50-75ms. Could someone email me at martin@u.tv with a few dialup tests pinging 195.218.116.1 ?

TIA

:eek: OMG!! A telco that interacts and asks for honest technical feeback from it's users without feeding us bullsh1t!! What is the world coming to? I saw the eircom mouse on tv last night and started laughing - his days are numbered :D

As soon as I get a line back into our house, you'll see me on UTVip, that's for damn sure.......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by Muck

The peak package is directly comparable to 1891 access Except that all the money goes on calls with no €15 a month to the ISP before you can dial the 1891 number.
    M [/B]

Don't you have to pay UTVi €10 a month? Isn't this a subscription fee like IOL Gold and Eircom Subscription? Thus €10 doesn't go on calls. You pay €10, you get no free or extra time online, subsequent peak calls are 1.8c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its Here not on the UTV website yet.

To compare the peak charges

All Incl VAT

UTV €10

Iol Gold €15.24

Eircom €18.28

Then do the charges per min, there is no restriction on num of peak mins per month with any of them

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

now on 8th business day since ordered.. still waiting for that email ;) oh time goes so slow when you are excited. I feel like a kid on christmas eve :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

scott said in the other tread that they had plenty of bandwidth and their wouldnt be problems like this

I would not be a bit surprised if eircom thought it was worth their while to sabotage them.

It would be a dream come true if they were caught doing that and got crucified in court.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

**** mistake ****

• Advertisement

Finally they launched a Peak package as well (name escapes me) . I am not sure if it can be combined with one or other of the off-peaks .

The peak package is directly comparable to 1891 access Except that you call a geographic number not an 1891 and you also pay less per month including VAT before you do so.

Full terms and condition for this service were promised for yesterday on the UTVIP site but are not up as yet...least I can't find them.

M

The peak package can only be taken as an additional option to either the UTVip or UTVipLite packages. Therefore each package with the peak option would be:

UTVip (+peak) - 150 off-peak hours and additional unlimited off-peak access at 0.95¢ per minute plus unlimited peak access at 1.8¢ per minute for €39.99 per month.

UTVipLite (+peak) - 30 off-peak hours and additional unlimited off-peak access at 0.95¢ per minute plus unlimited peak access at 1.8¢ per minute for €20.99 per month.

The terms and conditions are really a combination of the existing ones but we will update these as required in relation to specific items.
    Also you continue to dial the same 1890 number for internet access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

Malcolm,

"ROI Bank Holidays: Peak, or Off-Peak":- Any updates from UTVip?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Also, is there any staff at UTVi who haven't got a boards.ie nick yet? :) Keep up the good work

Originally posted by G
    and it's chronically slow on ISDN :(
    pings are more than double what they used to be

ARGHHH, the fact that they dont see anything wrong with their network doesn't give me much hope

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I tried out UTV pay as you go last year and it was truly dire and after reading above posts i tried it again and it is still dire,
    I use Oceanfree for my isdn and EsatBT for my 56k, heres what counter-strike pings are like for me today thru ISDN using an Eircon DIVA TA:

Oceanfree Irish Servers: 35-55
    UTV Irish Servers: 95-250

Oceanfree UK Servers: 40-85
    UTV Uk Servers: 135-600 (lagged out several times)

IMO if your getting UTV purely for ISDN gaming avoid it like the plague. Give your ISDN what it deserves, low pings, thats what you got it for and Oceanfree is your only answer really despite having to pay for it.

UTV is fine however is you want to stay logged onto irc/icq/msn for hours on end chatting.

Originally posted by Gonzo
    Oceanfree UK Servers: 40-85
    UTV Uk Servers: 135-600 (lagged out several times)

jesus

For info we have been pro-active in looking at this.

TIA

Originally posted by Nobody
    Malcolm,

"ROI Bank Holidays: Peak, or Off-Peak":- Any updates from UTVip?

TIA

We will be charging public holidays at off-peak rates. Once we have clarification of the exact dates they will appear on our FAQ's.
    Sorry for the delay but we are rather busy at present.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I got an email note saying my UTVip account was activated and I should go to the site <http://www.utvip.com/join> to fill-in my user name and password. I went there but only get a blank page. Eventually I got hooked up by calling UTVip's support line, but still don't see anything on the above-mentioned page. Am I doing something wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

Tom, I am guessing but as http://www.utvip.com/join generates a blank page and a neat little java pop up I'd say maybe you don't have Java enabled?

UTVip Speeds are a bit weird from here too (045 area)...as other posters have said constantly fluctuating...

Until after 12 midnite when it is GREAT ;o)

Gaye

(Quote of the day from Eircom Billing while TRYING to cancel subscription account:

"What is an ISP?"

...unfortunately the technical expertise of the two members of staff involved did NOT extend to being able to figure whether they had cancelled my account or not *sighs*)

• Advertisement

still awaiting for the email :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mechanima
    (Quote of the day from Eircom Billing while TRYING to cancel subscription account:

"What is an ISP?"

...unfortunately the technical expertise of the two members of staff involved did NOT extend to being able to figure whether they had cancelled my account or not *sighs*)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Malcolm
    For info we have been pro-active in looking at this.

TIA

i pinged that ip from utvi and got a 70 ping but the thing is using oceanfee and pinging a esat ip gives me a 30 ping so latency on utv is more the twice what it is on oceanfree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Griff667

It seems to be a good bit better for me today, still pausing a little bit but I'm getting 3-4k on my downloads, a considerable improvement over yesterday. Still not as good as it was post-12 o'clock last night (4-5k, pretty much perfect for a 56k), but better. Teething troubles with the new service perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭edove

all the flat rate internet packages I come across, for off-peak usage only? Are there any out there that cover peak hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

The eircom.net <-> UTV connection is going through the UK again:

3 fa4-0-0.core1.cra.dublin.eircom.net (159.134.192.33) 3.409 ms 3.182 ms 3.265 ms
    4 pos0-0-0.core1.thn.london.eircom.net (159.134.191.98) 13.513 ms 13.793 ms 18.508 ms
    5 pomegranate.as5388.net (195.66.224.26) 15.829 ms 13.650 ms 13.318 ms
    6 marrow.as5388.net (195.92.201.2) 13.814 ms 13.429 ms 13.330 ms
    7 ac-4.msl.as5388.net (195.92.196.9) 20.236 ms 25.953 ms 20.635 ms
    8 195.92.211.202 (195.92.211.202) 30.073 ms 29.970 ms 29.934 ms
    9 irdub-core1-s0-1.nevadatele.com (195.218.126.225) 100.166 ms 99.928 ms 99.635 ms
    10 195.218.126.173 (195.218.126.173) 108.732 ms * 106.243 ms

Though it looks like there's some congestion on the nevada link to the uk.

The UTV <-> Esat link goes through the INEX so that's why you'd get a lower ping.

They still have a bit to go yet and it'll only be fully fixed when Nevada get an ATM link into the INEX and get their peering sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vronique

Isn't their support line fantastic, especially Stewart, he solved my problem so quickly, and sounds dishy...hmmm wonder if he is spoken for ;)

vronique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Stewart and Darrell and Charles all rate high in my book.

I for one have just signed up. Bye bye Eircom and your little mouse too.

Me mate sez to me...that..

Apparently it will be branded as Eircom Low-Cost or some such marketing crap. It will be an off peak only product

its nearly 2 weeks later, any updates to this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Maby its me but I connected to UTVip last night and it was really terrible. http://www.u.tv/ took over 4 mins to load (using ISDN) and surfing the net was like being on a (can anyone remember them?) 9,600 Modem. Gameplay :(. Normal ping on Oceanfree = 70 to 100 on UTVip it = 300 - 470, Mail would just not send or receive. Speed tests from here http://homepage.eircom.net/~leslie/testpage.htm said I was using a 14,400 Modem. Naturally I thought it was my fault and I had done something wrong. But then I found this utv.support and discovered that I was not the only one with these problems. So I said ok teeding problems and try it tonight it might be a lot better but :(

C:\>ping utvinternet.ie
    Unknown host utvinternet.ie.

C:\>tracert utvinternet.ie
    Unable to resolve target system name utvinternet.ie.

I have to admit I have never seen anything like this before? Has
    anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening or am I alone in this?

OHP

Advertisement