Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

I've been logging on with UTV for over a year and have never had a problem re..extra slow, stop/start connection. Until this past week that is. While I managed to log on tonight, the connection is dead, so it's with much regret I'm posting this having had to revert to my eircom number...arrrggg. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I signed up for flat rate on the 5th of Sept and have heard nothing yet. I don't want to complain as you guys ( UTV ) seem to be trying to do your best, I just hope that your best is good enough and that all this good will between us punters and UTV isn't shortlived. Fingers crossed things will improve ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Griff667

The connection's dead here too, I'm writing this using my elivefree connection. At the moment, UTVip's not slow, just completely dead, I can connect but can't receive any data or even ping an IP. It seems to have kicked in just after 11pm. Just wtf is happening here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

Dead here too (coming in on "The Remains of Eircom Subscriber" *sighs*) mail problems earlier too, the SMTP server did not seem to be distributing for ages...

I am wondering to myself if, somewhere, they are bringing new servers onstream as the demand picks up?

Burning in hardware and de-glitching software?

Gaye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

connection dead here as well ,co tipperary (thurles) connect ok , thats all no send/receive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

yeh, exact same here...it has gone 'dead' since 11 pm. Hopefully it won't last too long, going to bed anyway's :)
    I remember the exact same thing happened last year a few times when i was on nolimits.

However browsing speeds have improved alot since last night's dreadful first time using it. Web pages are loading more normally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it looks like i was better off not signing up yet. what's going on with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Tonight UTVip is very slow to not connecting to URLs or email at all in Cork. I am posting this via my IOLGold/Eircom connection. Hope things improve or I'm going to Esat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep same here, UTV D-E-A-D or very nearly. Now on Indigo...

...and still waiting for that e-mail.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Also dead in Mayo. I can log into the UTV free service, but can't download mail or surf the net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

this be looking a bit "arse"
    I expect my "e-mail" very soon and I hope this sorted very soon.
    once again ....."arse"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I've spent all night trying to get some sorth of service from UTVip, but ended up using Oceanfree to even post here. I have signed up for UTVip and made all the changes. So why do I now feel like I have been SUCKERED!! once again? What UTV offered was great! but after takeing up the offer I now find its (for want of a better word) '****E' so far. UTV promised the Sun / Moon and the Stars, but as far as im concerned all I have ended up with is a Black Hole once again.

OHP

You might fool some of the people some of the time but NOT all of the people All of the time. (yes im pissed off at UTVip)

Still utterly dead... However, gurramok was right about the connection speeds this evening (until 11, natch) being a hell of a lot better than last evening's which were godawful until "graveyard" hours. Maybe it's just down for an upgrade or something, it's hardly unusual that early adopters of new services run into a few days of headf--ks and hassles. I just hope that now I've signed up for a minimum 3 month contract my trusty sig doesn't turn out to be prophetic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

utvi back online at 1 am, been using eircom for the last few hours, eircom is faster to load pages grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Anyone here using UTVip and not showing caller line I D.?

How's that going for ye?

I don't show me C.L.I.D cos Ant n Dec won't allow me to use the intern..et.....F@ck.........~R:GGGGGzapadodzapadodGGGGG@..................... f@ck off Tony Blackheart, ye bollix.
    I swear, if only the good people knew what went on here>

Strange that it blacked out and kicked back in pretty much on the hour both times. Seems like a maintenance blackout more than anything, hope the UTV bods can enlighten us tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I think it was a dns problem, cause i forced the connection to use another providers nameserver and it worked Grand. speeds have increased too and its no longer stalling from what use i got out of it :)

Still waiting on that email :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Hope things improve or I'm going to Esat

I'd leave it a few weeks at least before I'd start jumping ship :). UTV have been very open and informative on these boards, and although they're clearly having problems, I'm sure they'll get it sorted!

In my opinion they've started a flourish of interest in flat-rate access from a number of competitors, even NTL are posting here now. So have a little faith folks :)

Anyone considering Esat as a "superior" offer to UTVip should remember that Esat aren't without their share of problems either. Before the mass culling of nolimits users from the service, it took an act of god to connect between about 6:30-10pm, in my area at least. Now that they're accepting users again (on a slightly different service), I wouldn't be surprised to see history repeat itself. At least UTV connects first time, every time, without countless ----king redials, and the service seems to be gradually improving (admittedly not without its share of troubles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

I will have a full update on last night's problems, as well as details of where we are with ping times etc by close of play today.

Apologies for the inconvenience. I know that the team have this as a priority and are working away on in.

Regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tazmo

Originally posted by Dannygirl
    I've been logging on with UTV for over a year and have never had a problem re..extra slow, stop/start connection. Until this past week that is. While I managed to log on tonight, the connection is dead, so it's with much regret I'm posting this having had to revert to my eircom number...arrrggg. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I signed up for flat rate on the 5th of Sept and have heard nothing yet. I don't want to complain as you guys ( UTV ) seem to be trying to do your best, I just hope that your best is good enough and that all this good will between us punters and UTV isn't shortlived. Fingers crossed things will improve ;)
    Ditto
    I normally have trouble getting into eircom and end up using utv for improvement. Now I am finding I have to do the opposite. looks like what was a good utv free service is now suffering.
    Oh dear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

I normally have a selection of DNS addresses that are 'close' in internet terms to where I dial in.

If I dial into eircom I normally have

and as fallback

for ESAT I reverse these two.

Now for UTV, given that their peering in Ireland is gimpy I would recommend

and

as alternatives.

Its easier with w2k or xp because the

nslookup

command followed (for example) by the line

server 158.43.128.8

will flick the active DNS for the rest of that dialup session.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Scott and the rest of the team arrived on this Board with an exceptional offer for a limited "no-limits" package. They have joined in the discussions and changed their offer on numeroous occasions, to suit the needs of the members requests. They are the first people to listen to the Net Users here.

Now because they are exceedingly busy and have a few teething problems, there are people who are complaining, understandable but, I would say give them a chance to get things sorted, and remember EsatBT/Eircom conned people for years so I wouldn't trust them at all.

We all know it took UTVIP to waken the others up and unless they come forward with a vastly superior package they should never again be supported by the users.

Again well done to Scott and the team.

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

DNS probs can really slooooooow things alright.

Hi muck.

I have Xp Pro, How you do that, if you dont't mind to tell in details

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Ok, late last night (between 11:30pm and 1am according to our graphs) we had a bandwidth outage within our ROI POP. Whilst this is bad, we're quite upset that our redundant circuit that is in place for such circumstances did not kick in :-( Currently chasing this issue.

On the pings issue, we're seeing relatively low pings whilst ISDN connected to our terminal server of between 50-60ms. We're currently investigating whether or not any additional latency is due to our terminal servers, Nevada's delivery of the call, or an issue with Eircom handing over the non-geographic numbers. Quite a lot here to look into so please bear with us as we whittle through all the options.

There's also been a lot of people asking for numbers of signups. As you are aware that UTV is a plc, we can't release that sort of information as freely as we might want to.

As to the question of capacity on our dialups, we still have quite a way to go before we hit capacity, equally on our bandwidth!

All the feedback we're receiving here in boards.ie is mucho appreciated.

Martin

strikes me that you should maybe move a nameserver to the RoI pop to reduce query times

make sure that it is the default for that pop only.....secondary in Belfast maybe.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

strikes me that you should maybe move a nameserver to the RoI pop to reduce query times
    Ehhh....there's 2 and they're the default on the IE terminal equipment. Last night's issue was a complete loss of bandwidth :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by obewan
    Now because they are exceedingly busy and have a few teething problems, there are people who are complaining, understandable but, I would say give them a chance to get things sorted, and remember EsatBT/Eircom conned people for years so I wouldn't trust them at all.

We all know it took UTVIP to waken the others up and unless they come forward with a vastly superior package they should never again be supported by the users.

Again well done to Scott and the team.

Mick.

Exactly. I know we're all used to complaining about internet access and it's hard to break a life-times habit, but give them a little slack.

Martin

thats good, total bandwidth loss is evidently a tad more serious.

/me heards sound of nevada techies bearing gifts

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

Hi Martin and the rest of the crew at UTVIP

I been trying to get to the internet using 1890927171 from Dromod Co.Leitrim since around 3 in the afternoon and right now it is 5.48 and still it is imposible to surf, you can connect but nothing happens, It is imposible to see any web pages.

If there is a problem we will wait for that to be resolved but we need clarification and comunication.

We do not want to go back to the hands and pockets of HORRORCOM and company.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dailing in from Waterford no change on last evening with amighty
    333 kbs recived and a 1000 sent in two mins. On Indigo now and getting a little worried...It would be a disaster if the service collapsed under the weight of expectation.

Mike.

Advertisement