Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Right , i rang eircom and asked them to remove caller ID blocking , the girl didn't have a clue as to what i was talking about and in the end said that she'd remove caller ID restriction (same thing?) , UTVip still doesn't work :(.

Should i enable Caller ID as mentioned in an above post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Mr.M
    i got my e-mail confirming my activation yesterday.i dialled up the new number and i tought that everything was fine.i just now checked my mail and i have received another e-mail from utv informing me that i was able to use the service but this time i had to dial the new number but with a prefix of 13513.does this mean that i had not been properly activated yesterday.because i dialled the new number yesterday without a problem.

I'm in the same situation, I dialed up yesturday with the number provided.. 1890***** . Everything seemed ok, Was I being billed by the minute?

I've changed the number tonight to 135131890***** and I'm connecting now with same username and password. Is there some way to see if you are infact connected on flat rate UtvIP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jeffmccrory

Please do not worry about this, we simply altered the latest activation email sent to customers to include the 13513 prefix in the dial-up number which ensures calls are routed to our telecoms network.

Its safer for you because it means that the call will definately be routed to us and away Eircom, so there is no chance it will be billed by Eircom.

We do not activate a UTVip account until we are sure that at least one of the lines belonging to the account has been sucessfully provisioned for Carrier Pre-Select (CPS). But there may be an instance where an account has several telephone numbers for registration and one of the numbers fails as the CLI is invalid or it has an incorrect Eircom Account Number. In that case the "account" will be activated but that particular "line" will have failed to be provisioned for CPS. We chase up any line provisioning failures with the customer, but in that time period any calls made via that line will still be billed by Eircom.

We are currently implementing a automated system to alert customers of any problems when provisioning their line(s) for CPS so we can rectify these errors as quickly as possible.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    UTV Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Nice work UTV guys, i just signed up for the service so far, i had one ickle problem but a quick call to UTV support line sorted me out.

I'll be very interested to see what kind of broad band package you'll be offering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Quick suggestion for UTV re the "how do I know I'm not going to be charged etc" queries:

When using Esat NoLimits with the supplied installer (as opposed to putting the details in manually, which I do these days), it always opened on a page on Esat's server letting the user know that they were connected to NoLimits and so on. Nice simple page, just a few lines of text. Opened every time. Annoyed me (as I like a nice google page as homepage) but most people I knew on the service liked it as assurance. it wasn't simply a matter of the start page being changed - clicking the Home icon put the user to their regular desired start page.

I assume (though I'll check when I find an old CD) that this was built into the .ins file

Hopefully the above seems semi-clear - reading my description it seems as clear as mud to me:(

Could be a simple added feature for people who want to be sure they're using the service?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jeffmccrory

Originally posted by sceptre
    Quick suggestion for UTV re the "how do I know I'm not going to be charged etc" queries:

When using Esat NoLimits with the supplied installer (as opposed to putting the details in manually, which I do these days), it always opened on a page on Esat's server letting the user know that they were connected to NoLimits and so on. Nice simple page, just a few lines of text. Opened every time. Annoyed me (as I like a nice google page as homepage) but most people I knew on the service liked it as assurance. it wasn't simply a matter of the start page being changed - clicking the Home icon put the user to their regular desired start page.

Could be a simple added feature for people who want to be sure they're using the service?

I am not sure we could implement a system like that, we could check to ensure you are dialing the correct number, but not check to see what telecoms service the call is being carried on.

That would involve querying data on the actual telecoms switch level in real time. Unfortunately this is not a system we have direct access to, whereas ESat BT would have direct access to their own telco switches. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Isn't the log on process like Esats SNL? Like you can't connect unless your lines been activated at UTV's end? So if you were dialing from the wrong number, instead of you being charged, you just wouldnt be able to connect, right?

Dialing the wrong number is a different story altogether though ;]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

Just on line now with utv done everthing that was on the email that was sent to me, For a piece of mind how do i know everything is setup ok and i am not going to be billled by eircon
    and the speed is good on single isdn thanks utv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Just got my email saying that they've got my dd letter. 10 days now. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr.M

@Jeff and the team
    thanks for that.i wouldn't like any nasty surprises in a few weeks.btw, i have connected every time, first time.all in all a good job done.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by sceptre

Are there any numbers that you can only dial if your phone line has been requisitioned by UTV?
    Like...ehh.. I dunno, something that's mapped by UTV that eircom doesn't have?

Like you said non-geographic numbers weren't covered by the CPS thing..
    If there was a number that you could only get through to if your phone was on an eircom line, or vice versa?

That way you could dial the number, and if it says "UTV support, what do you want, it's lunchtime", you know you're on UTV...
    Whereas if it says "Welcome to eircom. The opening hours of this office are 9am till 11am monday till tuesday. It is now 10am on monday.", or "beep beep beeeep", you know it's eircom?

Well, it was just an idea :P
    That way you'd know if your calls were going to be billed through eircom or not.

zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by zynaps

Are there any numbers that you can only dial if your phone line has been requisitioned by UTV?
    Like...ehh.. I dunno, something that's mapped by UTV that eircom doesn't have?

Like you said non-geographic numbers weren't covered by the CPS thing..
    If there was a number that you could only get through to if your phone was on an eircom line, or vice versa?
    zynaps

If you ring 0111 222 333 from a properly activated line you will get a message stating that you have successfully connected to our telecoms provider. That means that all calls from that line will be billed by UTV and you will not be charged by eircom for internet access. If you are not connected, do not hear the salutation get engaged or dead tone then the line is probably not activated for CPS and you should check the CLI with our technical suport team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr.M

i just gave they number a quick call and i heard the message.at last i am finally free of eircon's grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gHoTi

A little fairy story for you.
    I dreamt last night that :

Last week, I tenderly put the Direct debit from in the post on monday.
    Two days later, I got a reply saying my form had been received, and that the process had started.
    Last night (Tuesday) I got the reply saying I wsa now connected and could surf away for 150 hours a month with UTVip.

this morning I woke up and IT WAS ALL TRUE.
    Thanks for the quick and painless sighnup guys, and the login is fast, the connection good.
    Keep up the good works!
    -gHoTi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Quick question:

I've got UTVip running as my ISP (Yipee!!). Only thing is, I get disconnected after 2 hours. According to the FAQ's on the site, disconnection is after 12 hours.

What's the story???

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I dont really know the technical details involved, but the pings need a little work:

ping.jpg

Being on indigo, 40 would be average I'd say, now average is 90 :( (barrysworld & Jolt.co.uk)

The bloke with the 157 ping is on 56k, I'm on 64k isdn.

Don't get me wrong, the service and surfing/download speeds have been great, but pings/latency is one area that needs a big of work

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muirthile

If I put 142 before this number I still get through to the message. Shouldn't that be impossible if 142 is supposed to route you through eircon?
    142 doesn't route you through eircon, it enables CLID. In other words, if you dial 142 and call a mobile, you'll see your phone number on the display, even if you normally block it.

To select a particular carrier, you dial 13 and the carrier's CPS code.

Would it come as a huge surprise to anyone to learn that eircon's CPS code is 666? I kid you not....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

what other interesting numbers are there to dial before yu call a num???

hmmmmm:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Malcolm

The 25% cheaper than eircom is based on the standard eircom per minute rate for local, national and international calls.

Currently we match eircom rates for mobile and other call types and will be looking to discount these in the future if possible due to high volume.

At present we are unable to offer specific discount packages but again may in the future.

If we were to match like for like we would charge you a lot more for your internet access.:D

Does UTV offer a table comparing their prices to Eircoms prices using Eircoms 3 discount plans as comparisons?
    Currently we match eircom rates for mobile
    But when you add in UTVs call set up cost - Is UTV more expensive than Eircom for mobile calls?

I welcome UTVs internwet offering but I fear that the 25% claim does not take account of either Eircoms discount plans or UTVs set up costs.

Hence - would you be better on Netsmart?

Originally posted by Delphi91
    Quick question:

I've got UTVip running as my ISP (Yipee!!). Only thing is, I get disconnected after 2 hours. According to the FAQ's on the site, disconnection is after 12 hours.

What's the story???

Mike

The session disconnect is definitely set to 12 hours. You may have been disconnected by the idle timeout or for some other reason uncontrolled by UTV.

• Advertisement

B
    Currently we match eircom rates for mobile and other call types and will be looking to discount these in the future if possible due to high volume

But UTV charge set up costs on their voice calls.

Does this make UTV more expensive with regards mobile calls?

I make a lot of mobile calls. Everybody has mobiles and i like to make contact with people.

& while I welcome UTVs internet service - I am very caucious about their phone service.

Eircom have discount plans. They do not charge set up costs. It would be interesting to povide us with a table with their prices compared to Eircoms under Eircoms 3 discount plans.

Why is UTVs internet service tied in with taking their phone service?
    Do they do the same in the North?

I am sold on the internet element but I am very weary of the phone service. The 25% cheaper claim does not take UTVs set up charges or Eircoms Discount plans.

If the UTV people read this - provide us with a table showing your call costs and Eircoms range of call costs.

If I see that your phone service is of similar cost to Eircom - I will join up. If you do not provide us with comparrisions - I am off to NetSmart

If I put 142 before this number I still get through to the message. Shouldn't that be impossible if 142 is supposed to route you through eircon?

The test number checks that you are activated for CPS, using 142 as a prefix and then connecting to the test number will give you the message only if your have been activated for CPS on our telecoms providers network. Therefore it is still a good guide to whether you are using the correct line or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by Cork
    Eircom have discount plans. They do not charge set up costs.

Hiya Cork.
    Looking at Eircom's prices you'd see that they charge a minimum fee of 5.244 cents per call. This is a 1 minutes and 15 seconds long local phone call peak (5 minutes off peak). If you're done in 2 seconds (e.g. a disconnected internet call) it'll still cost you 5.244 cents.

Although it's not called a call set up charge, it's hard not to call it such - you still have to pay it to make a connected call no matter how long the call lasts.
    It would be interesting to povide us with a table with their prices compared to Eircoms under Eircoms 3 discount plans.

I think it's your job to compare offers from different suppliers. UTV have made their prices available, so have Eircom and Esat BT. So it's your job as a consumer to compare their prices and find which one of the suppliers suit you, with or without discount plans. A little research never harmed anyone (well ok. Some, maybe - but that was probably not related to telephony cost).
    Why is UTVs internet service tied in with taking their phone service?

To make money? :p

/Thomas

I think it's your job to compare offers from different suppliers. UTV have made their prices available, so have Eircom and Esat BT. So it's your job as a consumer to compare their prices and find which one of the suppliers suit you, with or without discount plans.

But UTV have made comparisons with Eircom. There comparisons compare the UTV call charges wirh Eircom. They fail to factor iin their call set up charges or Eircoms discount schemes. Yet they claim - that they are 25% cheaper?

There should be a fixed line equivalant to

www.b4ucall.com

It is UTV that are comparing and making claims. As a consumer - I think if UTV were making comparrissons - they needed to do a more elaborate set of tables.

I will be interesting - if they will. Otherwise - I'm with Netsmart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

But UTV have made comparisons with Eircom. There comparisons compare the UTV call charges wirh Eircom. They fail to factor iin their call set up charges or Eircoms discount schemes. Yet they claim - that they are 25% cheaper?

There should be a fixed line equivalant to

www.b4ucall.com

It is UTV that are comparing and making claims. As a consumer - I think if UTV were making comparrissons - they needed to do a more elaborate set of tables.

I will be interesting - if they will. Otherwise - I'm with Netsmart.
    I think you should just go with netsmart

soon.

please.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

argh , I've called eircom , asked them to disable caller ID blocking (woman on the phone didn't seem to know what i was on about) , tryed to connect to UTVip , didn't work. Send my uncle into them telling them to ENABLE Caller ID and to disble caller ID blocking (still doesn't work) . I've tryed the 142 and the 13513 prefixes but it doesn't work and i'm despairing.

btw i'm on 64K ISDN

any idea what to do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I was wondering, because someone said earlier in the thread that the reason you have to add 13513 after 142 when you're dialling the access number (i.e. 142,13513,1890******) was because the 142 routed you through eircon and the 13513 was needed to route you back through UTVip.

Looks to me like...
    142 - send callerid (in case it's by default turned off presumably)
    13 - carrier select
    513 - utv's carrier code?
    1890 **... - the access number :P

I guess... although I thought 141 sent your caller id.

If 142 routed you to eircom and 13513 was needed to route you back to UTV, wouldn't they both cancel each other out? :)
    zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I would have thought that the call setup charge was the same as eircoms minimum charge...so that would make utvip cheaper,but reading these last few forums this doesent seem to be the case.

maybe someone from utv should try and clear this up.

at this stage its all the same to me now..posted off my DD forms on monday night....and don't really use the landline that much anyway.

btw..i thought that I would be reading about UTVip on all the national papers...but guess what ..hadn't seen it in any untill today and that was just an article quoting s.taunton about the difficulty in offering b/b with things the way they are...strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Muirthile explained it well in the previous post and a comparison with your last eircom bill will reveal whether you benefit or not depending on the overall call pattern from your own line Jonski. If you make loads of 5 minute peak calls now, you will probably continue to do so and will save with UTV, vice versa for loads of 1 minute calls.

Minimum Call = a floor rate for a call (included in the per minute rate) An eircom weekend call at 1.1c a minute will always cost at least 5c so you may as well keep talking for the full five minute because you have alreayd paid for it.

Call setup charge is a charge incurred IN addition to the per minute rate. The call setup charge from UTV is less than the minimum call charge from Eircom and does NOT always apply, some calls do not incur a call setup charge so the per minute (ie per second rounded to their minimum fraction) rate applies only...even if the call only lasts a second.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by zynaps
    I guess... although I thought 141 sent your caller id.

142 sends it; 141 blocks it

(adding one of the numbers will ignore your defaults - like changing the settings on a mobile)

Advertisement