Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Been connected with utvip for last few days and its great for me just pings are higher then oceanfree. I normally playing Black Hawk Down (ISDN) get 60 to 70 ping to colt but with utv I get around 90 to 100 but still very playable. I emailed them and they said they are trying to sort the problem out. So give em a chance EH? Everything else is fine , no disconnects and browsing speeds same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Hi guys,

I know you guys are working on the ping issue, but I just want to show you how different it is. I'll also post up two tracert results to show you if you need to have a look:

UTV

C:\>ping 213.221.176.41

Pinging 213.221.176.41 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 213.221.176.41: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=119
    Reply from 213.221.176.41: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=119
    Reply from 213.221.176.41: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=119
    Reply from 213.221.176.41: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=119

Ping statistics for 213.221.176.41:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 110ms, Maximum = 121ms, Average = 117ms

Indigo (1891)

C:\>ping 213.221.176.41

Pinging 213.221.176.41 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 213.221.176.41: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=122

Ping statistics for 213.221.176.41:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 30ms

UTV

C:\>tracert 213.221.176.41

Tracing route to bbsvr09.barrysworld.com [213.221.176.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 60 ms 60 ms 60 ms 195.218.116.9
    2 100 ms 110 ms 110 ms UTV-DUB-fastethernet0-0.116.218.195.in-addr.arpa
    [195.218.116.1]

3 210 ms 110 ms 100 ms 195.218.126.174
    4 120 ms 110 ms 111 ms bel-bgp1-s4-16.nevadatele.com [195.218.126.226]

5 120 ms 120 ms 130 ms 195.92.211.201
    6 110 ms 140 ms * pbr-1.msl.as5388.net [195.92.196.5]
    7 120 ms 90 ms 91 ms pomegranate.as5388.net [195.92.201.13]
    8 130 ms 130 ms 130 ms ge0-0.th1.uk.as21099.net [195.66.224.162]
    9 130 ms 130 ms 130 ms ge1-1.he2.uk.as21099.net [213.221.179.115]
    10 130 ms 140 ms 120 ms bbsvr09.barrysworld.com [213.221.176.41]

Trace complete.

Indigo (1891)

C:\>tracert 213.221.176.41

Tracing route to bbsvr09.barrysworld.com [213.221.176.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 30 ms 30 ms 31 ms ts13.dublin.indigo.ie [194.125.145.173]
    2 20 ms 30 ms 30 ms fa2-0.tr2.cra.dublin.eircom.net [194.125.145.126
    ]
    3 20 ms 30 ms 30 ms fa4-0-0.core1.cra.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.192
    .33]
    4 30 ms 40 ms 40 ms pos0-0-0.core1.thn.london.eircom.net [159.134.19
    1.98]
    5 40 ms 40 ms 30 ms ge0-0.th1.uk.as21099.net [195.66.224.162]
    6 30 ms 30 ms 40 ms ge1-1.he2.uk.as21099.net [213.221.179.115]
    7 40 ms 50 ms 40 ms bbsvr09.barrysworld.com [213.221.176.41]

Trace complete.

C:\>

By looking at the tracert's, it takes 30ms for the packets to get out of the eircom network, while it takes aprox 100ms for internet packets to get out of the Utv network. Once its out of the Utv network, it seems to get to its destination (barrysworld) pretty fast, 20ms. Sorry if I'm reading it wrong, its just I'd like to get this sorted as soon as ;)

PS, I'm not having a go at utv, their a great bunch of ppl and the browsing and downloading has been nothing less than excellent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats the story with e-mail addresses and web space?
    I went here-
    http://u.tv/support/ans.asp?id=343&category=utvipsouth
    but cant find any further info.

Also I tried to access the account area but could'nt as it did'nt recognise any e-mail/password combo. In fact it doesnt recognise the e-mail address they contacted me with!

I've mailed utvsupport.

Anyone else having trouble?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ProofWizard

Originally posted by mike65
    Whats the story with e-mail addresses and web space?
    The e-mail server info is found here http://u.tv/support/ans.asp?id=35&category=email your e-mail address should be username@utvinternet.com
    web space info is all here http://u.tv/support/ans.asp?id=44&category=Other
    I set all mine up this morning, no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

hmm, directory browsing doesnt seem to be active on the webspace.

Can either of the fellas at UTV tell me if its possible to use directory browsing? Gotten a bit lazy and dont feel like writing html anymore... This probably sounds a bit of an odd request but hey, I'm an odd person :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thanks for the links Proofwizard, this'll sound daft but I already had an e-mail account with utv going back ages but had never used it as I by that stage I had 4 so just put it into cold storage so to speak, and as I'm now using a diff e-mail programme (Opera) I clean forgot about it!.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

got my e-mail today......the countdown begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Muirthile
    Could someone post the URL of the UTVip status page?

http://u.tv/support/status/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Just got the activation email from utv! It only took one week too, I must be one of the last few on the boards who doesn't have it yet. I'm online now and getting good speeds 53.2k!

Thank you utv you are a godsend!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Just got connected this evening and it only took 3 working days. Connected at 53.2Kb/s too.

Take that €ircon you greedy bastard!

• Advertisement

I saw the UTVip ad on tele last night and their headline was, 'Virtually Unlimited Flat Rate Internet Access'. I don't want to give out about them as so far I'm happy with their Customer Service and service but I can't see how they can call it 'Virtually Unlimited' as it is very limited flat rate access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

if you read through this thread from the start you'll find that they initially were calling the service "Unlimited Offpeak Internet". They changed it because we pointed out that it was pretty unfair to call it that when it blatantly wasn't (like the "Surf NO LIMITS" fiasco).

I commend them for their honest marketing so far. Keep it up UTVi.

Fair play to them. At least they listen to their potential customers unlike €ircon who know we have no choice so couldn't give a rats arse about their 'potential' customers.

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I can't see how they can call it 'Virtually Unlimited' as it is very limited flat rate access.

very limited???? you have 5 hours a day???? i dunno bout you, but i certainly dont spend more than 5hrs a day online, even if i tried.. for me and I'd say a lot more ppl, its flat rate off peak

Originally posted by ando

very limited???? you have 5 hours a day???? i dunno bout you, but i certainly dont spend more than 5hrs a day online, even if i tried.. for me and I'd say a lot more ppl, its flat rate off peak

in terms of proper proper 24/7 Flat Rate Access, yes it is Very Limited. With the crap download speeds on 56K modems you may need to leave stuff downloading over night and at that rate you would be using a lot more than 5 hours a day. Not all internet access is sitting in front of your computer browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

The point you've missed here LFCFan, is this is NOT 24/7 flat rate access, its not even unlimited offpeak access.

BUT - and this is part of where UTVi have shone - they have not been claiming it is. They are upfront about the limitations (150hrs) of the service, and better yet have come and talked to possible users about what we want (eg: a 2hr autodisconnect was changed to 12hr).

This is SO VERY DIFFERENT from the likes of Esat Clear
    *rummage, rummage*
    Look here:
    Originally posted by LoBo
    While searching through boards.ie for the scanned letter I remember someone posting back then I came across a few interesting threads:

UTV working with ODTR to start new flat rate (12/5/01)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4840
    obviously the ODTR were quite efficient about it...

ODTR to investigate Esat over SNL Debacle(02/05/01)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4785
    not sure anything came of that...

IOL NoLimits Restrictions(25/01/01) -- BEFORE infamous letter
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24938
    Note the last sentence in that quote...
    :mad:

In particular look at the third one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

i'm using netsystem via satellite in conjunction with utv so i get alot better speeds for downloading.
    Downloading constantly over 56k is woeful to say the least.

All in all 5 hrs a day is enough for just browsing :)

hmm, maybe you can use esat's offering and utv's offering together and get 270 hrs off-peak for €60 if your desperate enough, dunno if it will work though :confused:

....with just the 30 hours a month for now. We have a 2Mbit line in work and I do all my downloading in here and burn stuff I need to bring home. This can't go on forever though and what I really want(and everyone else) is 24/7 Broadband.

So far I am very happy with UTVip and €ircon could learn a thing or 2,000 from them about Customer Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

To Eircoms delight - I have not jumped the Eircom ship yet. I am happy that UTV are offering a pretty good deal - But I still am a little concerned about their call costs.

I rang ESAT yesterday and they said that - they do not charge set up charges on either mobile or international calls.

Maybe - somebody from UTV might clarify UTVs policy.

(I know - I am going on & on about this - but I am not sold on the telephone element..................yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

Originally posted by Cork
    I rang ESAT yesterday and they said that - they do not charge set up charges on either mobile or international calls.

Maybe - somebody from UTV might clarify UTVs policy.

We are working on something and hope to be in a position to assist with this request soon.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

A bit off-topic, but hey ...

Eircom is certainly unhappy about ppl jumping ship. I got a letter today moaning about me changing telephone supplier - coasting hard on the edge of insulting my or any other consumers intelligence

"
    You are satisfied that this other supplier has complied to fair selling pratices and in particular you have not been given misleading information about another supplier or another supplier's service.

If you are not satisfied that any of the above points have been met, or foyou would like more information regarding your change of telephone supplier, please contact us on .."

They are the one to talk about misleading information ....

And follow it up with a veiled thread that my usage of their ever so super service may fall below levels qualifying for their option scheme ... see me cry ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Those first 2 paragraphs i think are legal for every telco to send out in a change of telephone supplier letter.
    I got a letter with exact same wording from cinergi telecom when i jumped to utv.
    Maybe more people can clarify this legal requirement for a telco to send out these letters ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I got the same letter today but what really pissed me off was finding out that BOTH my lines had been requistioned by UTVip.

I specifically instructed UTVip to take ONE of my lines for the Internet service. Granted, when I initially filled in the form on their site I made the mistake of submitting both lines but during a subsequent email chat with Jeff I thought I made it clear that ONLY ONE of the lines was to be used for the UTVip service.

I contacted Jeff early today to 'reassure me that I wouldn't have to pay any charges for this mistake' either to them or Eircom but have not heard back from him yet.

All in all, I'm thrilled to be using the new flat rate service, even though it does appear rather slow at times. But as a whole I applaud UTVip and just hope this little episode doesn't sour the relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Terrible trouble getting on to UTV tonight it just kept dialing and dialing for about 20 mins but it seems to be working now. Anyone else have trouble dialing into it tonight so far?

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by morgana
    A bit off-topic, but hey ...

Eircom is certainly unhappy about ppl jumping ship. I got a letter today moaning about me changing telephone supplier - coasting hard on the edge of insulting my or any other consumers intelligence

"... You are satisfied that this other supplier has complied to fair selling pratices and in particular you have not been given misleading information about another supplier or another supplier's service.

If you are not satisfied that any of the above points have been met, or if you would like more information regarding your change of telephone supplier, please contact us on .."

I am sooooooo looking forward to getting that letter from Eircom.

I have now switched my domain and web hosting to UTV (from Esat) and I have also switched to UTV for my telephony and nearly-flatrate dialup. Well done UTV for having the foresight to do what others could not.

i got the letter from eircom today iswell.... ah life is so sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dromoland

OHP, I had trouble trying to connect last night. It kept failing to connect for me between 8.30 pm and 11.30 pm. I had to use Eircom, my standby ISP, to retrieve my mail.

I tried restarting my computer, it had been on standby for most of the day. I was then able to connect first time.

Tonight I was having similar problems when I tried to go online at about 7.30 pm After 15 failed attempt I restarted and again was able to connect immediately.

I don't know whether this getting online after restarting was a pure fluke, prehaps UTV had fixed the problem.

Anyway, you might try my suggestion to restart next time you're having difficulty connecting, it would be interesting to know if it would also work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

Your modem (or other device) reported an error.
    If this is a dial-up connection and you are using a supported external modem, turn off and then restart the modem. Close and restart Network Connections, and then redial. If your modem is not supported by Network Connections, switch to a supported modem. Make sure you correctly configured your modem for remote access. To check your configuration, see To configure a connection.

If this is a virtual private network (VPN) connection, you may have specified an incorrect TCP/IP address in the connection configuration, or the server that you are trying to reach may not be available. To determine if the server is available, contact your system administrator.

I got this tonight useing a hayes external isdn adapter, I just took the power cable out and redailed on line first time then
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

on the subject of eircon trying to get us all to come back..

seeing as I was with eircom for a small while before UTV, They gave me a ring and asked why I switched over from eircom to utv so fast...

"They give me the best flat rate access they can WITHOUT a monopoly over irish users"

and then they said that the average user's eircom monthly bill is something like €7 where a british mans is €22. Where I should have said "No sorry, you're talking to somebody who knows what he's on about", but I was in such a good mood after getting UTV's package I just said "no thanks, I'm happy with flat rate, maybe I'll get i-stream when its down here, at a reduced price, and if UTV dont have a competing service."

Then, of all the things to do, they offered me hi-speed! To which I replied "if I want 128k, I'll get UTV's offer, thanks"

then they once again compared their rates! I was getting sick of this, I have a right to switch to a better ISP if its availible, offering me a cheaper service. So I shouted "ffs, SHOVE IT UP YOUR HOLE, I DONT WANT IT!!" down the phone, and hung up on them.what they're doing is practicly harrasment! They dont give up

Christ, I wouldnt mind them just asking me to switch back, but eh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by OHP
    Terrible trouble getting on to UTV tonight it just kept dialing and dialing for about 20 mins but it seems to be working now. Anyone else have trouble dialing into it tonight so far?

Yeah it took me about 30 mins of "busy lines" before I actually got connected this evening. It connected a couple of times but then disconnected before it was fully connected but that was more than likely my fault. Anyway its working grand now but I wouldnt like to think I'll have a 30 minute wait every night to try and get in.

And on another note, I too got that delightful letter from Eircom this morning. I think I'll frame it and put it up next to my "Esat - Youve been disconnected" and "Legal & Debt Management" letter. I now officially have a collection :D

Advertisement