Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've had a few re-dails in the last day or two, not to bad though and worth waiting for!
    I too got that delightful letter from Eircom this morning.

I got that letter today as well... :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by mike65
    ...I got that letter today as well... :)...

Me too. It's currently helping to fill my waste paper bin!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Tizlox
    and then they said that the average user's eircom monthly bill is something like €7 where a british mans is €22

I would have (though I probably wouldn't think up anything witty at the time... bloody real time conversations!) said "Well, that's probably because the average eircom user knows how much they'll be ripped off for using your 'services', and your Brit comparison man most likely is paying his €22 for an unmetered, proper connection. So no thanks, eircom boy."

... Then he would have said "I know you were outside! What were you doing!"
    To which I would reply "man, you come RIGHT OUT OF a COMIC BOOK."

....yeah.

zynaps
    boards don't hit back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mdf

Maybe more people can clarify this legal requirement for a telco to send out these letters ?

When a customer changes telephone supplier, there used be a period for winback of that customer. That has now been stopped, and the losing operator sends out a standard letter to ensure that the customer has not been moved against his will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Moved against his will? You have to give credit card details to move to UTVip.... The only thing I did againt my will is pay thousands and thousands of pounds and euros to a monopoly knowing that if I lived not very far away I would have had a better service cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Has anyone had problems with FTP access using utvip....sites such as www.tucows.com use ftp protocols for downloading software and with utvip i get an unauthorised error..where as with other isps its fine.

All in all Im happy with the service though... I know it takes a while to get things up and running properly

I have had no troubles whatsoever getting set up. Probably because I use the excellent Mac OS X. No troubles connecting so far, either. No troubles with FTP. No troubles with e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Ffs, tonight, I came home from work to find my isdn box out of order.. no network light on, so I rang eircom tech support.. (1901) and they said my line has been ‘ceased’. They told me to get onto sales... Sales told me that my telephone supplier is a company called ‘Stenthor’ ???????????????????????????????????? and that I should get onto them. I told her that I had changed to Utv around 2 weeks ago, but she could not explain the issue with stenthor? .... Remember the number Steve Tauton gave to see what telephone supplier your on.. the 0111222333 number. I rang that number last week and got ... ‘you have been successfully changed over to the nevadatele network’... where the hell has stenthor come from?

So I called utv, and told them the situation, and they said it was prolly some administrative error on eircom’s part.... and as I’m stil paying for the isdn line (line rental), I should get back onto them.... so I did get back onto eircom sales..

‘I’m sorry mr ando, our systems are completely down at the moment, we cant do jack $hit’.... ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WTF is going on????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

signed up September 9
    still waiting to be moved over.

I notice none of the utv people replied to my message.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

i posted my d/d form on thursday last...got my confirmation e-mail on monday and got my activation e-mail tonight...couldn't ask for faster than that.

unfortunately when i finished the sign up and d/l the file i got the message "error can not something the file"

gotta phone the helpline now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

/me jumps up and down in unconcealed rage. i spent an utter age trying to connect to UTV, i am most displeased , also pings are still utter tripe. (i still haven't connected to UTV , since trying on and off since 7.00, using Oceanfree for this)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mdf
    When a customer changes telephone supplier, there used be a period for winback of that customer. That has now been stopped, and the losing operator sends out a standard letter to ensure that the customer has not been moved against his will.

Step forward, imho.

I'd rather a quick letter from Eircom that I can laugh at than to have to tell some CS drone to go to hell. Oddly enough when I switched to Esat two years ago Eircom never called. Might have been something to do with the phone line only having been installed ten minutes before I called Esat though:)

Tha alternative to a silly letter like that is the meeting I overheard in Eircom in Henry Street about eighteen months ago. The marketing guy was telling a group of CS people to say "whatever it takes" to get customers to come back to Eircom (silly idiots shouldn't hold their training meetings where eavesdroppers like me can overhear it for a good twenty minutes). I'd rather the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Got the letter aswell but I'd actually prefer the phonecall. Although I know my mini-rant would go-in-one-ear-out-the-other, it'd make me feel better :]

I've had a few "Line is Busy" messages when trying to dial UTV, but I find if you cancel that, dial a diff ISP (but disconnect before it dials in so you dont have to pay the min. charge of course) and then dial UTV again, it works. I can live with that tiny inconvenience.

That has now been stopped, and the losing operator sends out a standard letter to ensure that the customer has not been moved against his will

I HAVE BEEN MOVED AGAINST MY WILL... I've been put onto a carrier called 'Stentor' ??????? WTF... Eircom dont have any information on stentor at all in their competition records??? I have no choise but to cancel my UTVip connection and reapply for eircom to be my carrier.. and then goto esat for netsmart... FUKC that, I'm not going back to utv if they put me onto a carrier I've never heard of before ?????

Now I'm stuck with a fuccked up line that doesnt even give me a dial tone and a carrier nobody has ever heard off before :mad:

seriously pi$$ed off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

AFAIK... Eircom are responsible for the working of your line, whether it is PSTN or ISDN, not your carrier!

You pay your line rental to Eircom, not UTV or any other Carrier select company.. therefore it is Eircom's problem...
    Give them another bell on 1901and insist that it is their (Eircom's) problem!

This is probably one of their tactics to get you to switch back to Eircom.

I was onto sales in eircom and they say that if my telephone calls are going through another carrier, then it is not upto them to fix it

and to make things worse, the only thing I can find about 'stentor' is:

http://www.tfltelecom.ca/consent.htm

a canadian carrier ?????? oh holy good god, if my calls have been going through canada I swear to god I'll .... :mad: !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Nevada Telecom were Stentor until 2 or 3 years ago.

Eircom should change the description on their database, that is a matter of concern that they wilfully misdescribe Nevada Telecom in their letters. Sneaky stuff indeed.

Now ring UTV support and find out what it may be, caller id not available to Stentor maybe?

check by ringing ur mobile.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Tha alternative to a silly letter like that is the meeting I overheard in Eircom in Henry Street about eighteen months ago. The marketing guy was telling a group of CS people to say "whatever it takes" to get customers to come back to Eircom

Slamming. Anyone with a gTLD (com/net/org) domain name will be painfully aware of it (or at least a variant) of late, as "renewal notices" come from every angle like shrapnel the closer they get to renewal. Slamming came to fame in the States when the long-distance comms market was opened up, and the salespeople really would do just about anything to sign up a customer, most of it highly unethical. It still goes on, but people are a bit more clued in to it (we won't get into nitpicking that statement). The fact that Eircom have been discussing slamming indicates that they believe there is an opportunity to do so, which doesn't say a whole lot for our Regulator. Slamming is something she should have been preparing for since the day she started.

adam

ah, thx muck.. thats calmed me down a bit :eek:

so who should I ring now.. the network light is out on the isdn plug&play box.. is it eircom or utv I should get onto?

I got onto utv earlier, but the bloke I was onto never heard of stentor either?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ando
    I was onto sales in eircom and they say that if my telephone calls are going through another carrier, then it is not upto them to fix it

Then they shouldn't be charging you for line rental. It *is* their problem. Escalate to the supervisor and the supervisor's supervisor....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

You said there is no network light on your ISDN box? That means you've got no line. Only one company in Ireland provide telephone lines.. Eircom. Therfore it should be up to them to fix it.
    It is them you still pay a monthly line rental to.

UTV/Esat etc. only provide calls over the existing Eircom line... They do not provide lines... They can't do much if you don't even have a dial tone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

thats eircom, dont mention the war and try ringing 1800 numbers with ur modem coz thats all eircom responsibility still

M

right, bout time.... I must of got the eircom staff in a sleepy tired mood ringing them at this time !!! they admited that there was a fault in my line and they will check it out for me

serenity now, serenity now

apologies to utv ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

Hi Ando

It happened to me about a six months ago when i was working long hours and was not useing my pc , Anyway when i went back to normal hours started back useing my pc one night
    started everything up never looked at the box never seen that the network light was not on, So i rang eircon the guy he was ok in about one hour he was back onto me and said that my exghange must have done something to my line explaining that i would be back running next morning gave me a number to ring it ended up being my local exghange they had put me off for some reason but my phone kept working hows that i thought my line was one, split into two b1& b2 heres a pic showing the box now running its taken by a web cam bad quality sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Has anyone had problems with FTP access using utvip....sites such as www.tucows.com use ftp protocols for downloading software and with utvip i get an unauthorised error..where as with other isps its fine.

Same problem, any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Anyone having line problems since changing to UTVip?. I have ISDN and while connected to UTVip last night I had difficulty making phone calls on the second channel. It seems fine this morning, so I was wondering if it was just a temporary glitch or has anyone else experienced this

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Has anyone had problems with FTP access using utvip
    Look like this could be a reverse DNS issue - am checking with Nevada on this and should have it resolved shortly.
    me jumps up and down in unconcealed rage. i spent an utter age trying to connect to UTV, i am most displeased
    Weird one this....I ran a lot of dialup tests to the UTVip service last night and got through every time. And it seems a lot of other people are not experiencing any dialup issues at present. We're working on the assumption this is a carrier issue and could only be affecting a small group of people/ exchange area. Chasing with Nevada, hope to have some feedback soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andreio

I was one of the first to jumpt on the UTV service, but after 2 weeks I'm seriously thinking moving back to eircom and then esat netsmart.

Since I installed UTVip I cannot make international phone calls without calling at least 5 times before I can have a decent conversation with the person at the other end.

Regularly I get a busy tone to ALL phone numbers I call, including my own mobile and the UTVip dial-up number.

Calling UTV customer support is just a waste of time as they always blame Eircom and Nevada for all the problems - one guy even asked me to call Nevada directly.

I think they should really re-think the strategy, it's becoming quite clear that UTV can't cope with the demand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Regularly I get a busy tone to ALL phone numbers I call, including my own mobile and the UTVip dial-up number.

[/B]

Due to the extremely high uptake and sharp increase in the traffic for both voice and internet our telecoms provider has experienced some capacity problems. An increase in capacity was brought into service today and further scheduled increases have been brought forward to early next week.
    This should eleviate the current problems and will prevent them occurring in the future.

Advertisement