Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Sh!t, does that happen with every ISP? Dial in at 5.59 and stay connected till 8.59 and you're charged 3hrs at peak rates?

What the hell, I never knew that either! I been doing that for months and doing it with my utvip connection, so I'm gonna get charged peak calls for that?

<edit> Just looked at my net timer and thankfully I havent dialed in before 6pm phew. Btw what if you dial in at 7.59am and stay online til 10, I wonder if it works the same way and you get charged off peak for that? I doubt it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Heh, yea for some reason I doubt it too ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

My confirmation came thru today, right now I'm on flat rate UTVip :)

I connected without problems :)

I had a quick game of CS and the pings seemd grand, I disco'd due to an on going connection problem I hoped changing to UTV might solve :( put a question into UTV support that might help but I guess its another long phone call to Eircom trying to explain my problem to a small radish named kevin whos other jobs include doorstop & papertweight.

Now I'm living in fear of my Eircom phone bill, doing some quick maths on my last two months access I owe them about 500 Euros (no exageration) may they rot in hell.

Anyone want to donate to the give MUERkO food fund?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    I guess its another long phone call to Eircom trying to explain my problem to a small radish named kevin whos other jobs include doorstop & papertweight.

:D very imaginative & descriptive.

BTW, when did you apply?

10 working days have now expired (2 weeks in total).

Communications from UTV = nil.

Will be on the blower 2morrow (more money for e ircom:mad:

Anyone else's connection/activation take this long?

Assume when I ring I'll be told there's some "problem". Wouldn't expect any different Not from UTV - just my luck).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Back form the hols & have applied for the UTV service.

I'm looking forward to being able to actually use the web from home without timing myself (my bills never exceeded €50 a month).

Needless to say Errorcon will never have my custom again. This weekend I'm back down home to Limerick & my parents will be migrating to UTVip, the following weekend it will be the girlfriends parents turn.

And on, & on..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've currently been online on my new UTVi connection for about 5 minutes! Got my confirmation email on the 30th and got my "account active" email a few minutes ago! 9 days if my maths is correct. I checked my lines with the test number and got that lovely recorded message telling me my calls were being routed correctly. I entered my registration details, downloaded the settings and bingo! Connected to UTVi. May you rot in hell you thieving Eircon B******'s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

if you ring a mobile from your pc and your lines number comes up on the mobile, then utv can authenticate you, right? Thats cli?

Once your calls are going through nevada (0111222333), you have a username and cli is working, then there's no chance of a mess up (big phone bill) ?

440 Euros, the nice man in credit control gave me an extra week to pay it off so I should be OK, UTVip should cut my phonebill by 70% which is something to think about while I live on beans for the next 3 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

thats what the email told me any way.. and if its wrong, god help me when the eircon bill arrives...god bloody help me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

Well I am still waiting. They sent me an email confirmation on September the 18th, followed by an email saying I submitted the wrong account number etc. on September the 26th. Replied with the correct details and now nothing.

Not very efficient really.

• Advertisement

I applied on september 30th and got sorted yesterday thw 7th of October. The delay is probably on Nevada and Eircom's end than UTV's

Thanx for the replies guys.

Well I must say it's "hats off" to UTV.

Phoned today but was told to call back later in the week - still nothing from errorcon.

Then checked my e-mail & low & behold - a PM from Malcolm who read my post (sent at 8.59am!) asking me to send him my details by e-mail.

This I did at 1 pm.

Phone rings at 2.15pm - guess who? Malcolm.

Could you phone me on this number - yes. I did. It worked. 20 mins later confirmation e-mail & activation.

Result.

So I then phoned the 0111 222 333 number for the hell of it (Malcolm said I wouldn't have the CPS until errorcon actually activated it - but internet would be fine) & guess what?

Nice message from Nevada.

So I called Malcolm & told him.

He said errorcon had obviously activated the CPS. UTV weren't informed - they'd probably be told next week!

So again errorcon acting the ba***rds.

Have to say Malcolm was very helpfull. Enjoyed our chat & learned a few things about errorcon (won't repeat them here for fear their reading - but all I'll say is

"devious shower of money grabbing pri*cks" ).

Been on line now for 4 hrs, no probs whatsoever. Connected first time at 52kbs, access any site, good download speed etc....
    & it's cheap!

So thumbs up for Malcolm & all at UTV. Excellent.

Look forward to chatting with Malc. soon again, hopefully discussing the activation of my broadband connection.

p.s. always knew it was errorcon delaying things - will they ever stop?

So far I've gotten fairly decent connections but I'm still having an odd disconnection problem that is either my machine, line or the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    So far I've gotten fairly decent connections but I'm still having an odd disconnection problem that is either my machine, line or the exchange.

its probabl du to capacity issues, rather than your equipment. AFAIK they are looking into adding more capacity this week and last week.

Wan UTV :)

HTH,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Malcolm et al,

Just for your information, I needed to ring an international freephone number this morning (008000 xxxxxxxxxx) and only got a busy signal. UTV support gave me a prefix to force routing through Eircom (!!!!!) and it worked. You might want to check into this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    We are continuing to work on a number of issues that have been raised, including ping times for gamers and mobile call charges. We may not be able to address every issue every time, but are working to that goal.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

well on the ping time for gamers issue , I had to disconnect from my utvip service and connect to errorcom last night during an online war..i was pinging at 500+..on errorcom my ping was arround the 180 mark..not great either but playable..

For your adverage online gaming you can try for the best pinging server..but for clanwars the server is already picked..

There probably isnt anything utv can do about this ,but i do notice that between about 7 & 11 o clock at night there is very few servers that you can get a decent ping from with utvip.

I got connected yesterday and the only slight problem I'm having is the odd random disconnection. I'm sure they'll sort it out when they add more capacity. As expected my pings are a little higher but no biggie. I am glad I'm using ISDN though cause before midnight it usually takes 6 or 7 connection attempts. On ISDN that isn't too much of a hardship cause the modem handshaking only takes 2 or 3 seconds each time whereas on 56k dialup you're taking about 30-40 secs for each connection attempt (well thats how long it used to take when I was on 56k IMS)

Its just disconnected on me again while I typed this post. :confused: Does it disconnect when there is no data traffic for a few minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Is it just utv you disconnect with? Check your settings in IE for utv and make sure disconnect if connection idle ISNT selected.

Originally posted by Calibos
    I got connected yesterday and the only slight problem I'm having is the odd random disconnection.

Hasn't happened me.

UTV have said (in the conditions) that you may/will be disconnected after 5 mins idle time, but again, I've not had 1 disconnect.

Also, UTV connects 1st time every time for me, & always at a good speed.

Lowest I've had is 48kbs, average 50.6 & best 52kbs.

Downloads excellent aswell, 22mb file in about an hour (granted a good fast server, but from the same server with errorcon 35mb took on average 3.5 hours.

As you can tell, I'm more than happy :D

Only slight problem so far is with an e-mail account at Hotmail, but it's not a major problem.

Calibos,

As said above, look into your connection settings. The .exe from UTV "auto configures" your connection, so probably changed something.

C u @ avf ;)

That hadn't occured to me rags, "DOH!" I said to myself when I read your post, but when I had a look in the settings the checkbox for 'disconnect when idle' was un-checked. Maybe I just have to type my posts faster:D

RmayB@thxEx's Place;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

have to say, but overall since monday, the pings have been overall better than before ... the pings are generally 20 lower and a little more stable (less spikes) ?

has utv done something with their routing to bw and jolt? whatever it is, keep it up ;) still averaging 30/40 higher than eircom, but at least its playable !, although, on tuesday night for about 25minutes I was getting 400/500 pings contstanly ? but another bloke in scotland on 56k was spiking the same as me so I doubt it to be utv problem, prolly bw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

/dev/null el muerkos sig

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by morgana
    Malcolm et al,

Just for your information, I needed to ring an international freephone number this morning (008000 xxxxxxxxxx) and only got a busy signal. UTV support gave me a prefix to force routing through Eircom (!!!!!) and it worked. You might want to check into this ...
    Some numbers are not carried by our telecom provider as the wholesale rates are particularly poor. The international freephone number is one of them and therfore to access this number you need to dial the eircom prefix.
    I am trying to get a full list of numbers not routed by our telco provider such as premium number ranges and when I get it I will post on the boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Dave Letterman

Look forward to chatting with Malc. soon again, hopefully discussing the activation of my broadband connection.

p.s. always knew it was errorcon delaying things - will they ever stop?

Broadband - where in the ROI?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Dunno if someone has already asked this but do UTVip support V92?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Eircom just lost another customer. They tried to flim-flam me by not sending out my account number but hooo-hah I got em good. No more staring into the face of the beast while it rapes me for call charges. MMmm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Dunno if someone has already asked this but do UTVip support V92?
    We are expecting a software upgrade for our terminal servers that will add a few extras, one of which is V92. Obviously we'll let you have some more info when we receive said update.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

When you say you are expecting, is that an €ircon Expecting, ie. 1 - 2 years, or is it the proper interpretation of the word, ie. a few weeks?

Thanks for replying by the way. Much respect to you and your company for giving a toss about your customers. I've signed up and am very satisfied so far. Feels good not to have to pay €ircon any more than I have to.

This ones for Martin or Scott,

I've been using the service for 2 days and so far I've no complaints except the amount of connection attempts I had to make yesterday(see previous post), Today no problems on that front, I've connected first time every time:) My one tiny quibble is that of the 5 minute disconnect when idle. I can't seem to finish typing a post on this or any forum or finish reading a web page before I get disconnected. Now either I'm a slow typist and reader or the idle timeout is a little low. I'm surprised no-one has brought up this issue before now. Could you not maybe increase the idle timeout to 15 or 20 minutes so I can get out an epic ranting about eircom post without having to reconnect when I'm finished?

Is there a call setup fee for each time I connect cause if it is I'm having to pay call setup for every post I make!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gHoTi

I've been using the service for 2 days and so far I've no complaints except the amount of connection attempts I had to make yesterday(see previous post),

I am having this problem as well. I am using Linux and I had contacted user support about this on Sep 11 2002, and the only reply I got was to inquire if I was using ISDN (I am not) I replied, and included part of my connect log to illustrate, but have heard nothing since.
    It seems to hang just before the IP address is assigned by DHCP.

Advertisement