Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Calibos & gHoTi,

I haven't had one disconnect ever with UTV (granted only got connected 2 days ago).

I've left it on-line for far longer than 5 minutes. Only thing I've had is IE asking if I want to disconnect as 20mins idle now.....

This is my PC setup (good ole days of errorcon) & not UTV.

As this hasn't been brought up by others (well I've not noticed anyhow, & look at all the posts on this thread), it must only be common to a few.

I don't think the 5 mins is implemented TBH, just in the T&C to protect themselves against abusers.

I'd say PC's settings are causing this, or maybe some new trick from errorcon (well I did say in an earlier post that they are devious!).

Hope ye get it sorted, I'd go mad having to reconnect like that.

BTW, Calibos, there's no setup fee for reconnecting during off peak - so connect away. Idea, tick "redial if line is dropped" in the modem options, might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Originally posted by Muck
    /dev/null el muerkos sig

M

stay away from my sig you fiend, i read the rules and it complies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Strange you having disconnect problems, I've had no disconnects so far that I can think of. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i guess leaving irc or some IM program open would stop the disconnect problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

If you're sure it's not something on your pc's side hanging you up when idle (check ie...), why not get a keepalive program, or set up a program you already have to do it?

Plenty of little freeware progs around to do it :)

zynaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Originally posted by Dave Letterman

As this hasn't been brought up by others (well I've not noticed anyhow, & look at all the posts on this thread), it must only be common to a few.

I don't think the 5 mins is implemented TBH, just in the T&C to protect themselves against abusers.

It's happening to me, regularly. I compose a reply to an e-mail and just about the time I'm ready to click "send"... disconnected.

I'm only an intermediate level computer near-geek, so I don't mess with intricate settings, but my visible, easily accessible settings (which were all fiddled with when I downloaded UTV's setup), aren't set to disconnect on idle, etc.

I do what tuxx suggests ("leaving irc or some IM program open"). Surely that hogs bandwidth though?? Letting us be idle for 10-15 mins doesn't seem unreasonable, does it??

Link for "connection keeper":
    http://www.gammadyne.com/conkeep.htm
    I must give it a try, if it's free.

None of the above is intended to imply any dissatisfaction with UTV! No ISP will be perfect. They have created a great momentum with UTV-ip, and I am a loyal and grateful customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Is anyone subscribing to this using a mac? Since my next targets for disabusing eircon of a customer are my mac-using parents I'm wondering if UTV has support for macs or whether like a lot of ISP's in this country they go "huh" at the mention of another OS. (don't get me started on the topic)

As far as I'm aware you get sent out an exe in email to set up the account - natch, this is no use to mac users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by Calibos
    This ones for Martin or Scott,

I've been using the service for 2 days and so far I've no complaints except the amount of connection attempts I had to make yesterday(see previous post), Today no problems on that front, I've connected first time every time:) My one tiny quibble is that of the 5 minute disconnect when idle. I can't seem to finish typing a post on this or any forum or finish reading a web page before I get disconnected. Now either I'm a slow typist and reader or the idle timeout is a little low. I'm surprised no-one has brought up this issue before now. Could you not maybe increase the idle timeout to 15 or 20 minutes so I can get out an epic ranting about eircom post without having to reconnect when I'm finished?

Is there a call setup fee for each time I connect cause if it is I'm having to pay call setup for every post I make!! :D

We will have a look at extending the idle time-out and get back on it. Within off-peak hours you will not be charged for each call set-up, however, we are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

As far as I'm aware you get sent out an exe in email to set up the account - natch, this is no use to mac users.
    It's a text file, it contains all the info you would need to configure dialup manually.

regards
    kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

when can we expect the first bills for utvIp to be delivered? I wana make sure I'm not getting billed by the second, so that i can start using the service properly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Malcolm
    We will have a look at extending the idle time-out and get back on it. Within off-peak hours you will not be charged for each call set-up, however, we are!

In that case it'd be in your best interests to extend it considerably! Don't want you guys to pay any more than you have to either :]

IM programs like ICQ & MSN don't take up much bandwidth at all, won't even notice it. If none of your friends use it it'd be pretty pointless though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I had a online timer on my computer. Which I have now lost.
    It was mentioned on this thread! but I am not sure in which posting.

The online timer is a free basic version small and the inventor accepts donations instead of charging for it. It is as far as I remember also Ireland based.

Any suggestions, please?

Yours,

paddy20:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

No Frills timer here http://users.bigpond.net.au/nmaher

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

try here for a few more. Thread full of suggested types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Also there is a keep alive programme for those that need it,, re above posts about disconnects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Malcolm

I've plainly not been paying attention! Was that in the small print?.

I was wondering if I just had a flakey connection...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Got it,

**NoFrills Timer, phew - thats a relief?

Very many thanks, Mark_irl & Dustaz.

Much appreciated:)

Yours,

paddy20:D

I'm getting 'invalid username or password' when i dial upto utvIP now??? I've reset my username and pass to what I definatly know what it was before.. but still saying invalid username and password? 64k isdn

(17:19 sunday 13th)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Anyone having problems connecting to UTV this evening? I keep getting an invalid user/pass response from the server. :(

Me too, now i'm psying per minute for my connection again, lets hope they get this sorted and its a one off.

• Advertisement

rebooted my pc and its fine again?? back on utvIP

(17:28)

weird one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

My UTV connection won't work at the moment either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

had the same problem this morning..phoned the support line and they said that they were having some problems and would have them sorted out within the hour.......45 mins l8r and my connection worked perfect again...so its probably the same problem now..although i'm using utvip to post this now..

While I'm here anymore news on ping times for gamers...I have to connect to errorcon for all our clanwars just to get a half decent ping.

Back on UTV now but that was 18 minutes I was connected to Errorcom which makes me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Mine works now too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I just re-entered the user & pass and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

not working for me either!
    on eircom 'free' atm now...ugh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

mines gone again....

and had a clanwar tonight :( all the one i suppose cause i couldn't ping the server with utvip

although I'm grateful to utv for the option of flatrate..its just not for gamers i rekon.( and now I'm tied into a 3 month contract ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Aye, mines gone too.

Just logged on to see if anyone else was having probs, now I know its not just me I'm loggin off again 'cos I'd rather not use the net at all than pay eircom for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

Back on line second time to have this kind of trouble getting online
    whats wrong?

Advertisement