Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Got invalid user name also, after rebooting pc all is fine.
    However I am having serious problem with land line: hangs
    after dialing, engaged when can not be engaged.
    hanging line is for about 10 - 15 seconds.
    this is to mobile and land line!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by jonski
    although I'm grateful to utv for the option of flatrate..its just not for gamers i rekon

yeah, true.. I usually disconnect from utvIP if i have an important match.. I use 1891 indigo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

got it back up now...ah well, every good thing comes with a flaw or two.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

so far I've had absolutly not problems with the UTVip service. Connects first time(nearly everytime) 9/10 I get 53.2 Kbs and I've never been disconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Anybody heard anymore about the ping times being lowered,this would be the icing on the cake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Originally posted by Rags
    What the hell, I never knew that either! I been doing that for months and doing it with my utvip connection, so I'm gonna get charged peak calls for that?

<edit> Just looked at my net timer and thankfully I havent dialed in before 6pm phew. Btw what if you dial in at 7.59am and stay online til 10, I wonder if it works the same way and you get charged off peak for that? I doubt it :rolleyes:

Malcom/Martin

I would like confirmation: if you dial in at 7.59am and stay online until 10am, do you get charged off-peak? (i.e. is the time taken off the utvip package until disconnection?)
    That would make sense as it follows the same rule as dialing in at 5.59pm...but then again sense and eircon don't go together...do they?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by fabien
    Malcom/Martin

I would like confirmation: if you dial in at 7.59am and stay online until 10am, do you get charged off-peak? (i.e. is the time taken off the utvip package until disconnection?)
    That would make sense as it follows the same rule as dialing in at 5.59pm...but then again sense and eircon don't go together...do they?

Thanks

No. The UTVip package is an off-peak service and our billing software will bill from 8am at the peak rate for all calls including those that cross from the off-peak to the peak bands.

To pre-empt the next question we set the cut-off at 6pm for cross band calls to safeguard users from getting higher than expected bills during the off-peak period and to avoid bad feeling on unknown costs. We will not be cutting users off automatically at 8am,at present as the costs will follow simple off-peak to peak call charges.

C:\>tracert www.jolt.co.uk

Tracing route to clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 70 ms 60 ms 60 ms 195.218.116.9
    2 50 ms 70 ms 60 ms UTV-DUB-fastethernet0-0.116.218.195.in-addr.arpa
    [195.218.116.1]
    3 50 ms 60 ms 60 ms 195.218.126.174
    4 60 ms 60 ms 80 ms bel-bgp1-s4-16.nevadatele.com [195.218.126.226]

5 60 ms 71 ms 60 ms BEL-BGP-7200-01-FE10.nevadatele.com [213.185.196
    .129]
    6 60 ms 60 ms 70 ms nevatele01-pp.pipex.net [158.43.116.17]
    7 60 ms 60 ms 70 ms fddi0-0.cr2.bfs1.pipex.net [158.43.229.2]
    8 60 ms 70 ms 81 ms pos2-1.cr1.bhx2.gbb.uk.uu.net [158.43.254.133]
    9 80 ms 70 ms 80 ms pos1-0.cr1.lnd6.uk.gbb.uu.net [158.43.253.129]
    10 80 ms 70 ms 80 ms srp5-0.br1.lnd6.uk.gbb.uu.net [158.43.194.229]
    11 70 ms 70 ms 70 ms lon1-9.nildram.net [195.66.224.59]
    12 70 ms 80 ms 70 ms jolt-gw.nildram.net [195.149.20.126]
    13 81 ms 80 ms 70 ms clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11]

Trace complete.

The high ping is caused by the time just getting out of the UTV network ? Am I reading it right when I say it takes only 10ms to get to its destination once its left the utv network? If I'm right, its not a nevade problem, its utv's internal routing that needs sorting ? same with pinging bw, its takes 60ms (huge amount of time when your a gamer) just to leave the internal utv network ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

/me waits eagerly for an ETA on UTV broadband in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

It's a shame that an otherwise excellent service is ruined by latency. As posted by others I'll be giving my 3 months notice of termination if there is no improvement in ping times. It's a decent product but it doesn't cut it for online play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I received an email from UTV this evening.
    The nerve of these people ! They have the audacity to *clarify* my upcoming bill ! They think it's ok to email their customers !
    Don't they know that communication with customers is not how we're used to business in Ireland ? I'm used to receiving several (yes several) printed form letters from Eírcón suggesting I upgrade to "HeighSpeed"...............considering I've had their Nighspeed product for 2 years now I really should get my act together. I'm used to be ripped off.

sheeeesh.

:p

Originally posted by ando
    its takes 60ms (huge amount of time when your a gamer) just to leave the internal utv network ...

am I right, or am I talking through my ass ?, seriously :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

70-80ms looks bloody small to me.
    *shrugs*

I get an average 101 ms ping from esat to clarity.jolt.co.uk.
    That's at 20:48 though... maybe it's different at times when there's less traffic.

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I cant access my website thru FTP, anyone else having this problem? Did UTV change their FTP address?

[edit]

Just pinged the server and its there. When I try to connect with Windows Commander it says it cant connect.

[edit]

It started working again a half hour later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by zynaps
    70-80ms looks bloody small to me.
    *shrugs*

zynaps

its not small when your used to 40ms using oceanfree
    i still think the problem is with any isp that isnt a local number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Might be an idea if we knew how the Nevada POP linked to UTVip ( if at all ) - also where the peering is done from - I'm guessing it's passed from Irleand to the UK over someones sub-sea system and then on to LINX , or is there local peering thorugh INEX?

Could be wrong here and maybe you connect directly to a Nevada DAM on dial up?

Either that or Nevada provide the IP transit pipe from the UTV Dial up Modems and access modules so traffic could be slowed ddown entirely on the routing kit....

It should be easy to solve though for those gamers out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

My analysis of the situation brings me the conclusion that the inital delay is due to the lack of PTR records for the ips. When u tracert to www.boards.ie say, the longest part of the journey is always the first.
    Tracing route to [url]www.boards.ie[/url] [195.218.115.65]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   161 ms   130 ms   120 ms  195.218.116.9
      2   120 ms   120 ms   120 ms  UTV-DUB-fastethernet0-0.116.218.195.in-addr.arpa
     [195.218.116.1]
      3   120 ms   120 ms   120 ms  195.218.126.174
      4   110 ms   120 ms   120 ms  195.218.112.195
      5   110 ms   120 ms   121 ms  195.218.112.3
      6   121 ms   120 ms   120 ms  troll.boards.ie [195.218.115.65]

I've done this several times with the same result. Don't proper dns entries help the interweb work that little bit better :)

God knows.. heh

p.s thats 56k not ISDN

Ah, bless DNS and all who sail in her....this is all getting a bit deep and "techie".... maybe best continued the comms posts - it would be nice to hear what UTVip could do to help though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

its takes 60ms (huge amount of time when your a gamer) just to leave the internal utv network ...
    Sortof correct....Its not our network for sure as latencies and speeds between all the equipment is fine. What we're looking at are 2 issues. The first that it could be a firmware issue on the terminal server. This is being upgraded, more info when we receive it. The second is that it could be a latency derived from however Nevada are delivering the call (geographic vs non-geographic call delivery).
    or is there local peering thorugh INEX
    Nevada have bandwidth within INEX, but they currently only peer with ESAT. We have raised this issue with them and they are looking into it.
    Don't proper dns entries help the interweb work that little bit better?
    No - will have no effect whatsoever on traffic throughput or latency on UDP packets when gaming etc. :) We have asked Nevada to allow us to handle the reverse DNS on these IP's and are waiting to hear back from them.

On the ball as always Martin....

In fairness to Nevada not many carriers have high Capacity into INEX - most carriers will increase this over the coming months etc anyway.

• Advertisement

Actually good point Martin on call delivery - particulary if it's going double Tandem with the IN dip for number translation - what I am saying is for outside the Dublin , Limerick and Cork Locations.

I wonder where the IN platform lies - i.e. are there signalling links from say Cork ( if the call originates there ) to Dublin ( if the IN lives there )....could kill speeds at the dial up to a minimum....just thinking aloud...

Another valid arguement for IP interconnects , FRIACO etc...but let's not go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Like the online account control panel, impressive :)

(I have a question that I'm sure has been answered but I don't want to sift through all the posts)

Is it cheaper to use UTVi during peak hours for ISDN net access than eircomnets ISDN?

G

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Its the same, unless you've signed up for the peak dealie aswell.

I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

just got my on-line bill.

everything checks out.

i really like the way for each call it tells you whereabouts in the country the call was made to, i.e. Dublin, North or Naas or Wicklow or UTVip. Sure makes finding out who owes what a hell of a lot easier :)

I really like this line
    24/09/2002 00:36:32 1890927161 UTVip 1:15:21 0.00

the 0.00 being the cost ;)

All in all, I was getting worried about this bill day, and I'm very happy now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just got an e-mail with link to my account page but I could'nt get in, well I could but the page was blank!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I just got an e-mail with link to my account page but I could'nt get in, well I could but the page was blank!
    haha :D

Originally posted by mike65

Mike.

If you look at the source code it isn't actually blank. But it will display blank in opera. I just switched to MSIE and no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Strange, I just tried that fix but no go, should I close-down Opera and restart?

Mike.

when I said 'switch' to MSIE, I mean close down opera. And load up MSIE. I didn't mean just change the prefences in opera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jeffmccrory

http://www.utvip.com/youraccount

This site only supports Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 4 and above.

It has been programmed to support Netscape Version 4.7 and above, although I have noticed sometimes the links do not work in Netscape purely because of their poor implementation of the Document Object Model.

I recommend you use Microsoft Internet Explorer. Opera is definately not supported, sorry. :(

Thanks,
    Jeff McCrory
    UTV Internet

Advertisement