Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

thats a nice little program, you can see exactly what time you were online and how long you were on for.. and it sure is a relief to see all is ok ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Originally posted by mike65
    I just got an e-mail with link to my account page but I could'nt get in, well I could but the page was blank!

What browser are you using? The link won't work with Opera :mad:; you'll have to use IE Exploder ..happned to me too. Can't say for Netscape, not installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

just got my first bill... €36.19 for 32 hours (my account was only activated on the 24th Sept)

so I end up paying €1.13 per hour to use the internet last month.. I should have waited until the end of the month to sign up :(

let this serve as a warning to anyone thats going to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

just got my first bill... €36.19 for 32 hours (my account was only activated on the 24th Sept)

I think you'll find that that includes next month's subs. At least it does on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Originally posted by rymus

so I end up paying €1.13 per hour to use the internet last month.. I should have waited until the end of the month to sign up :(

let this serve as a warning to anyone thats going to sign up

Yeah rymus, €29.99 of that is for next months sub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

(The) site only supports Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 4 and above.

It has been programmed to support Netscape Version 4.7 and above, although I have noticed sometimes the links do not work in Netscape purely because of their poor implementation of the Document Object Model.

I recommend you use Microsoft Internet Explorer. Opera is definately not supported, sorry.

Must say I'm dissapointed, maybe someone could suggest why the account feature is IE friendly but not to Opera or even Netscape by the sound of it. The only reason I switched to Opera was because IE devolped a fault which can only repaired on a temporary basis,(have to repair/reboot every time its started). Still I know what the charges are and how much I'm on line, so I'll only look very ocasionally...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka
    Yeah rymus, €29.99 of that is for next months sub

Good point Neil..

awww well, I'm an idiot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Man am I angry at UTV got my bill and foundout I couldn't view it in Opera. Well thats it, I'm pissed off now :)

Well back to reality.I checked my bill and my initial calculations are right I will save between €80 - €100 Euro every 2 months. Thank you UTV and please let me know when you are offering ADSL because I can then go down to one line :)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Who can I contact regarding problems with the DD signup process? I've found that support requests get no response whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jeffmccrory

We cannot support every web browser out there and our statistics show that 96% of our customers are using Microsoft Internet Explorer. 1.9% are using Netscape and 1.05% use other Netscape compatible browsers.

Also for security reasons we have to use specific methods to prevent unauthorised access, unfortunately all browsers do not support these.

Netscape is supposed to support the methods I have used according to http://devedge.netscape.com/ but testing with Netscape 7.0 I have found that it doesn't do what it is documented to do :( and I can't work miracles :D

Thanks,
    Jeff McCrory
    UTV Internet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andreio

I don't want to start another dicusssion about what browser should people use, but I think UTV are right to support only IE. I wouldn't trade security for compatibility, and if more than 95% use IE, thank so be it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

We cannot support every web browser out there

We're talking about a bill here? If you put it in bog standard tables, you can support everything as far back as, I think, MSIE and Netscape version 2, which is a little further than you need. It'll also support textmode browsers like lynx. I don't understand your security issues either -- SSL and HTTP-AUTH have been supported for yonks, and if that's not good enough, forms-based auth over SSL should be enough.

Invoices should be about functionality, not prettiness. If you insist on people receiving electronic invoices - which I think is great btw - you should ensure that it's accessible to 99.99% of people. Not 96%. That's a horrendous target level, I'd be torn a new one if I told my boss that I was only supporting 96% of the prospective market.

Here's a nasty one for you: Are the invoices accessible to people with sight or hearing difficulties?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jeffmccrory

Originally posted by dahamsta

We're talking about a bill here? If you put it in bog standard tables, you can support everything as far back as, I think, MSIE and Netscape version 2, which is a little further than you need. It'll also support textmode browsers like lynx. I don't understand your security issues either -- SSL and HTTP-AUTH have been supported for yonks, and if that's not good enough, forms-based auth over SSL should be enough.

Well all I am using is basic form-based auth using Javascript 1.0, so if the browser doesn't support that then our website doesn't support the browser.
    Invoices should be about functionality, not prettiness. If you insist on people receiving electronic invoices - which I think is great btw - you should ensure that it's accessible to 99.99% of people. Not 96%. That's a horrendous target level, I'd be torn a new one if I told my boss that I was only supporting 96% of the prospective market.

Well the site is programmed to support IE and Netscape so if you do some sums you'll find we support 98.95% of customers browsers. If Netscape does not work with simple javascript like document.forms[0].submit(); when it documents that it does then there is not much I can do about it :( Sorry. You'll need to get on to the boys at mozilla.org

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Originally posted by dahamsta

Here's a nasty one for you: Are the invoices accessible to people with sight or hearing difficulties?

What has hearing difficulty got to do with reading text on a web page?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I don't know much about Opera, except that sod all people use it (0.7%) and it has issues displaying some pages correctly. Netscape is a woeful browser and anyone who uses it is asking for trouble.

All of us have access to IE at least once a month surely.

What has hearing difficulty got to do with reading text on a web page?

Heh, fair point. Dunno where that came from.

adam

I have no idea why you'd need to use JavaScript for a login system, but I guess each to his own. Let's be clear though: The boys and girls at Mozilla and Opera write standards-compliant software. That means your code isn't. And let's be honest, it isn't all that hard to write cross-browser code for something as simple as this.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

that is an exercise in futility

No Data in Nutscrape
    No Data in Opera
    Writes cookies like mad
    Yuk, and the old dol.ie webpage worked fine.

You could not find anything as crappy as the o2.ie webpage anywhere.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

OT I know, but I didn't start it :)

The UTVip youraccount page I've looked at (http://www.utvip.com/youraccountbeta/gologin.asp) are a mess when it comes to HTML. Looks OK in MSIE because IE has a low threshold for HTML errors (not surprising with the HTML code MS progs produce).

With HTML standard compliant pages I bet the youraccount pages should work just fine in Netscape and Opera and any other HTML standard compliant browser. *Hint* :)http://validator.w3.org/ should get you started.

/Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

hmm....

<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">

• Advertisement

<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">

Ewwww!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

give it a break.. no-one uses anything other than IE.. maybe 5% use netscape ... ? I'd rather utv get the service (pings) sorted first

Agreed.

Opera is a nice browser but you might as well be using web tv for all the sites that are compatible with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Quite possibly the number of people who actually use Opera is underestimated as many set it up to identify itself as IE. It's surprising the number of stubborn pages that load correctly once you do that... Personally I use it to browse the boards and Mozilla for everything else. I am not pleased about having to use IE to browse my bill (causes blue screens every second time I close it) but I'll live with it for now...

Incidently I rang up UTV support about an email problem last week (solved, thanks) and the poor girl almost had a panic attack when I told her that I *dont* use Outlook Express.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Does this mean anyone running linux or some other unix won't be able to do the online bill thingy?

What about php or something?

*scratches head*

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Just piked my bill and im very happy with it.

One Question though. I dont see an estimate for time online for the UTVip service this month, has it not been implemented yet?

Thx advance.

_______
    Dotsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

just my own ramblings here that i wanted to say out loud

I got "my last " eircom phone bill today.....€200.00 ,thats the last time they'll get that off me.Now maybe my wife will love me again ( or even like me ).:)

as reguards the opera thing....well think of what we are leaving behind , then its hardly a problem really is it ?

I would prefer if something happened with the ping for gamers .Imo this is something that should be fixed first as there is surely a higher percentage of ppl using the net for games than ppl using opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Us Opera divas are an oppressed minority! :D

Maybe we should band together and start an e-mail UTVip campaign...ahem! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just a wee mod note:

OHP has started a "UTV Bill" thread here - given that people are using this thread mostly as a help line/ comments thread, might be best to put the billing comments there

OT: I also usually use Opera (win & linux) (set to pretend it's IE). Don't be turning this into a "I love Opera"/"no-one uses Opera" thread tho'

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mike65
    Us Opera divas are an oppressed minority! :D

Maybe we should band together and start an e-mail UTVip campaign...ahem! ;)

Mike.

Yeah you guys should set up a splinter group called Opera Offline :D

Advertisement