Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Sorry to post this thread here I just dont know where to put it that it wont be Deleted or locked. Ok I have been using UTVip for the last 5 hours for TFC clan matches. The thing is I have neeb disconnect 11 times with Warning: Connection Problems and my ping times during the games were 250 - 380. When I was using a 56k modem my ping times were a lot better. Im on ISDN now and before joining UTVip my pings were 70 - 90. I know all this has been said before but has anything been done to rectify it with UTVip? I dont want to log off and log on to a different ISP to get a better ping why should I?

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

shows where the log jam is occuring along the way.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭ando

the clog is happening within utv's network, it takes 60ms to only get out of their network? compaired to eircom's 30... once their out of utv's network, they get to their destination pretty fast

Originally posted by Muck
    shows where the log jam is occuring along the way.

M

NP :)

Using UTVip

C:\>tracert 194.159.164.184
    Tracing route to november.games.uk.demon.net [194.159.164.184]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 83 ms 82 ms 74 ms 195.218.116.9
    2 102 ms 72 ms 77 ms UTV-DUB-fastethernet0-0.116.218.195.in-addr.arpa
    [195.218.116.1]
    3 84 ms 78 ms 77 ms 195.218.126.174
    4 89 ms 96 ms 84 ms irlon-core1-atm5-0-1.nevadatele.com [195.218.126
    .242]
    5 96 ms 90 ms 89 ms car1-serial5-1-1.Thamesside.cw.net [166.63.214.2
    1]
    6 94 ms 96 ms 96 ms bcr1.Thamesside.cw.net [166.63.210.61]
    7 175 ms 179 ms 179 ms dcr2-loopback.NewYork.cw.net [206.24.194.100]
    8 178 ms 173 ms 168 ms agr2-so-0-0-0.NewYork.cw.net [206.24.207.54]
    9 179 ms 180 ms 174 ms iar4-loopback.NewYork.cw.net [206.24.194.39]
    10 173 ms 174 ms 168 ms demon-internet.NewYork.cw.net [208.173.135.162]
    11 249 ms 252 ms 252 ms lon1-core-11-2-0-1-1-101.router.demon.net [194.1
    59.176.97]
    12 246 ms 252 ms 257 ms lon1-border-1-235.router.demon.net [194.159.176.
    126]
    13 246 ms 258 ms 257 ms anchor-border-1-225.router.demon.net [195.173.72
    .18]
    14 246 ms 255 ms 258 ms anchor-service-5-fxp0.router.demon.net [158.152.
    0.55]
    15 261 ms 262 ms 270 ms november.games.uk.demon.net [194.159.164.184]

Trace complete.

Using Oceanfree

C:\>tracert 194.159.164.184

Tracing route to november.games.uk.demon.net [194.159.164.184]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms 212.2.162.142
    2 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms 212.2.162.131
    3 54 ms 54 ms 55 ms 212.2.162.201
    4 54 ms 54 ms 57 ms vlan11.rt001.bmt.esat.net [193.120.57.113]
    5 53 ms 55 ms 54 ms ge1-0.core002.bmt.esat.net [193.95.140.2]
    6 55 ms 54 ms 54 ms pos2-1.core002.cwt.esat-x.com [193.95.131.21]
    7 67 ms 66 ms 67 ms pos1-0.br002.ldn.esat.net [193.95.131.18]
    8 66 ms 66 ms 66 ms linx-2.router.demon.net [195.66.226.12]
    9 67 ms 67 ms 67 ms tele-service-22-139.router.demon.net [194.159.17
    6.77]
    10 67 ms 66 ms 65 ms anchor-service-2-WDM-601.router.demon.net [194.1
    59.241.70]
    11 65 ms 65 ms 67 ms anchor-service-5-fxp0.router.demon.net [158.152.
    0.55]
    12 72 ms 74 ms 73 ms november.games.uk.demon.net [194.159.164.184]

Trace complete.

Ok what can you tell me about the differences there apart from Oceanfree = a 70 to 90 ping while playing and UTVip = a 270+ ping while playing? And as usual I have just been disconnect while typing this :(

OHP

ahhhhhh at last after 22 redials I finally get to post this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

cable and wireless appear to peer with demon in new york

how nasty

M

• Advertisement

A friend of mine now has netsmart on isdn... pings to barrysworld are 30ms lower than UtvIP on average.... 60-70 compared to 85-100

*me thinks bout swapping over to e$at

*Edit*, I am using a kick ass asus isdn modem while my friend was using an external crappy modem

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

ping with eircom on 64k......a consistant 70-90
    ping with utv on 64k...........110-150 on a good day...been over 200 for the last week or so:(
    probably jump ship as well in december if not sorted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Jaysus. Back in my day I was happy to get a 400ms ping!

Anyone know if monday is considered off peak by Utv? ie, can we use UtvIp on monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

It'd be great to see the ping issue sorted alright, its the only thing that UTV is lacking on. Internally their network seems fine its the first hop to the ISP thats doubled (under 30ms on indigo vs over 60ms on utv) compared to ocean/indigo thats giving all the problems.

Unfortunately I'd be tempted myself to jump ship if other ISPs come out with similar offerings in the new year. I don't want to change back to eircom/esat but since Im finding myself dialing indigo/ocean to play games it would make economic sense to do so.

Hopefully UTV will get this issue sorted before then as the rest of the service/customer support is second to none. I know theres a good few gamers not opting for UTV due to the current latency problems while playing games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

just phoned the help line..bank holiday monday isnt off peak ?

thats a bit crap isnt it.
    just aswell i thought to log off and check..had been on half an hour before i thought of it.

so now what do i do for the day..omg..i'll have to go outside...
    noooooooooooooooooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

hey man,

some of us have to work today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by jonski
    just phoned the help line..bank holiday monday isnt off peak ?

thats a bit crap isnt it.
    just aswell i thought to log off and check..had been on half an hour before i thought of it.

so now what do i do for the day..omg..i'll have to go outside...
    noooooooooooooooooooo!

Today is off-peak.
    Sorry for any confusion.

Originally posted by Malcolm
    Today is off-peak

d'oh

ah well, to late now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,891 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nice to see another example of responsiveness to user feedback tho..I note the FAQs have been changed appropriately:
    Q: What are the off-peak hours for UTVip?

A: Off-peak times are 6pm to 7.59am Monday to Thursday, and from 6pm on Fridays to 7.59am Monday mornings. Public holidays are also classified as off-peak times:- New Years Day, St. Patrick`s Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day, 5th August, 28th October, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
    UTVip and UTVip Lite users can dial into the service knowing that they will not be charged for the call as this will be counted as part of their 30 or 150 hours off-peak usage.

:-)

Thanks to all the guys (and girls) at UTVip for their work on this service & continuing participation on these Boards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

Eircom have announced today that they will be reducing some of their call charges by up to 20% from Dec 20. These lower rates are not likely to be passed on to other operators wholesale rates in the near future.

Despite this, we will continue to offer a 25% saving on Eircom's local, national and international call rates. Our billing tables will therefore be updated with the revised rates from 20/12.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

we reckoned we could rely on you to keep competitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

I have heard nothing from UTV albeit i sent off the DD form over a week ago. I don't know if they even received it. Not a thing. When should i expect to have some kind of acknowledgement from them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It might be prudent to give them a call to make sure they received the form :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

In response to a query about checking the number of free hours an account had left:
    Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    Not yet, it will be historic data. We're working on a real time system to track usage which will be accurate to about 98%. It will measure time logged on to our radius server, rather than call time itself, but hopefully will be of value nonetheless.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

I've briefly scanned through the posts after this one and haven't seen anything more on the topic. I'm just wondering if there are still plans to deliver this usage tracking system and if so when? (I know about using a connection monitor but taskbar clutter!! no no no!! ;))

thanks,

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Eircom have announced today that they will be reducing some of their call charges by up to 20% from Dec 20. These lower rates are not likely to be passed on to other operators wholesale rates in the near future.

Despite this, we will continue to offer a 25% saving on Eircom's local, national and international call rates. Our billing tables will therefore be updated with the revised rates from 20/12.
    That's really great news, Scott. For my part I'm having a lot of trouble getting switched over to Nevada. Malcolm is helping me with this. As of today, my landline will only allow me to make calls to the UTVip dialup -- no other calls go through at all. Very strange!

But I don't mind this hiccup. It is really a pleasure doing business with a company like yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

This may be slightly off topic for this thread but I was just wondering if UTV would ever plan on launching a DSL package similar to the rumored Esat one?. From what I have seen of them here they would definitely be my first choice as a customer.

Originally posted by rob1891
    I'm just wondering if there are still plans to deliver this usage tracking system and if so when?

can ya not use a small nettimer program? I'm using one... i've got 54 hours left :D

pity I only got 4 hours to use those 54 up :rolleyes:

BTW, has anyone ever got 128Kbps on utv isdn?

I mean, using 1 channel utvip, and the second utv free (per minute) ? I tried it last night and had no luck

Originally posted by rob1891
    In response to a query about checking the number of free hours an account had left:

I've briefly scanned through the posts after this one and haven't seen anything more on the topic. I'm just wondering if there are still plans to deliver this usage tracking system and if so when? (I know about using a connection monitor but taskbar clutter!! no no no!! ;))

thanks,

Rob

Rob

Apologies for not having replied to this earlier.

Unfortunately we can't provide this service, despite our best endeavours. Because we can't trap live exchange data, the information we use could be unreliable. We do not want to mislead any customer by providing even slightly incorrect data.

A number of posts have pointed users to tracking systems which they can install and we suggest their use.

Sorry I couldn't help on this occasion.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Rob

Apologies for not having replied to this earlier.

Unfortunately we can't provide this service, despite our best endeavours. Because we can't trap live exchange data, the information we use could be unreliable. We do not want to mislead any customer by providing even slightly incorrect data.

A number of posts have pointed users to tracking systems which they can install and we suggest their use.

Sorry I couldn't help on this occasion.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

Not a bother I shall invest some more thought into these tracker programs.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Scott,

This issue has been brought up on severall occasions without a valid answer from anyone on UTVip. A lot of people said dont bitch about it just dial Oceanfree etc. when you need a really low ping for gameing. But as a TFC Clan leader I can no longer lead my team with a 300+ ping on some servers and its really annoying when your in the middle of a game and you get the WARNING - Connection problem and then lag out. Im actually on an ISDN connection. Tracerts / Pings etc. posted on utv.support dont seem to help. All I get is the Auto responce 'Its *£& £&_@'s fault etc etc etc. Be honest! is there anything being done about it?

OHP

We've been working on the ping issue since it was first raised. We've ordered new firmware for our hardware in the hope that this will resolve the issue. This software is now 7 days past due.

As soon as this arrives we will post with a timetable for installation (which will require a short period of downtime).

It certainly has us on our toes, although I accept that we've not communicated the level of testing and work that's been going on behind the scenes.

To put it in perspective, this issue was raised at a board meeting on Tuesday and reports and solutions are being presented back to the board ahead of its next meeting.

We really do strive to have the service 100% for everyone.

Apologies for the delay in sorting this particular issue though.

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

ok scott :)

just plz dont give up on this ping issue, despite what some say, it does means a lot to some ppl ;) ,myself included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Good to know your working to fix the ping issue scott. thx for the update.

Advertisement