Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Fair play Scott. Thanks for letting us know whats happening. :)

OHP

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

re: ping times....
    To put it in perspective, this issue was raised at a board meeting on Tuesday and reports and solutions are being presented back to the board ahead of its next meeting.

Did you ever think you'd see the day gamers pings would get mentioned in a ISP Board-meeting :)

Can you imagine other ISPs board-meetings? "Whats all this about pongs then?"

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

lol Dev , quite true
    /me pictures an Eircon board meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I'd say eircom have had some serious talks about it in fairness :rolleyes: I'l bet I'll regret this later, but eircom's network is excellent for gamers, especially for barrysworld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by ando
    I'l bet I'll regret this later, but eircom's network is excellent for gamers, especially for barrysworld
    Why wait untill later? LOL! :)
    I hate to admit it but Eircon on BW servers is fine. However Oceanfree even Elive beats them hands down for ping times and playability. From what I have read so far I understand that UTVip are actually doing something about this and it will only be a matter of time before they get to grips with the Ping issue. :)

OHP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Muirthile

About 60% of the time that I connect to UTVip I am unable to connect to ftpusers.utvinternet.com to update my webspace. I have tried several different ftp clients, even using the URL format: ftp://username:password@ftpusers.utvinternet.com in Internet Explorer. None of them work. Pings to ftpusers.utvnternet.com are successful, so it is as if the ftp port mysteriously disappears or is not accessible (as it would be had I not dialed up using a UTVi service). Usually disconnecting and reconnecting solves the problem, but still this doesn't seem right and having to do this is annoying.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Also, do UTVi provide cgi/perl access for UTVip customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'm having connection problems.

Tonight when I try to connect I get a 'Phone line busy' message (Engaged tone).

I've managed to connect once in maybe 15/20 times.

I'm ringing the number given for Dublin north.

Right now I'm connecting thru Unison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

No problems here in Donegal?

Ever considered moving out of the big smoke.

Seriously, sorry to here that you are having problems with UTVip , however I feel sure that their techies will sort it out ASAP, and I am pleased to see their thread back up where it belongs? as they deserve all the encouragement we can give them without being blatantly prejudiced in their favour.

paddy20:cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

the odd time I get a phone line busy message but usually get on after a couple of attempts. I'm in North Dublin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    I'm ringing the number given for Dublin north.

You're ringing an 01 number then..
    I thought it was one 1890 number with the extra carrier select prefix before it for the whole country, no?

• Advertisement

dublin north?

Everyone was given the 135131890******1 number for utvip

Originally posted by David C
    Cost of the 150 hours off-peak net access in Ireland:
    Eircom "Free" - €114.50
    EsatBT (netsmart120) - €48
    UTVIP - €29.99

How come your Sig says that EsatBT Netsmart 120 is €48 a month when it's €30 a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

If you read it again, it's the cost of *150* off-peak hours from the various ISPs..
    (Netsmart 120) €30 + (30 hours @ 1c/min) €18= €48

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

well it seems to be working again, touch wood

Originally posted by David C
    If you read it again, it's the cost of *150* off-peak hours from the various ISPs..
    (Netsmart 120) €30 + (30 hours @ 1c/min) €18= €48

Cool. Was time for bed when I was reading that. Not with it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Before I start tarnishing the name of UTVip this post is not a complaint about their services, althought the problems i am having may be related to my recent connection.

Befre i start i just want to wwarn everyone who wants to connect to UTVip that soon after you will get a letter from eircom telling you about how you will lose your eircom options and you will have to pay for al services such as call answering

Anyways, ever since i got isdn installed by eircom (during the summer) i have been having trouble with thephone lines. every 2 - 3 weeks they used to stop working,

Since i have been using the UTVip service, my phone lines have been blanking out regularly (2-5 times daily). I Originally called UTVip who told me to ring eircom. I have been calling eircom for over a week they have done absolutely nthing about fixing the problem.

I am just wondering whether they have decided to give us less priority since we decided to avail of utv's excellent package, or is there tech support usually this bad, ( i have had bad experiences with them before however i.e. they botched our isdn installation and had to send someone else out to fix the damage their last guy did) but this takes the biscuit.

:) May the coming of adsl at a reasonable price come fast

:cool: :D:D

Originally posted by TruckledUncivil
    you will have to pay for al services such as call answering

Call Answering has to be paid for now anyway. And if not then they were charging me for it when they shouldn't have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by TruckledUncivil
    I have been calling eircom for over a week they have done absolutely nthing about fixing the problem.

if u have a total outage on an €ircon line u cannot receive calls at all. That is the problem you report. Don't confuse them by mentioning UTV.

also see if u can 'poke' the line into life by calling from a mobile (not answering of course)

complaint form at www.odtr.ie if the line is not fixed, you are entitled to a full refund on your line rental while the problem lasts....from €ircon of course

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lecan

What about call waiting?
    At the moment Eircom offers this for free.
    When you switch to UTV, is it still available and free?

Call waiting will be an important/useful feature when V92 support is
    available.
    I read on the UTV FAQ that they are working on v92.

Martin/Scott: Any update on V92? When will it be available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

Originally posted by lecan
    Martin/Scott: Any update on V92? When will it be available? [/B]

We have invested in some additonal equipment to terminate calls in our RoI operation centre. This kit will support v.92.

One of the primary drivers for the purchase of the equipment is to resolve the ping issue for the gamers. It is due to be installed and configured on Mon/Tues and should result in improvements.

Initially, the new terminating equipment will only be available on 25% of our ports, with the remaining 75% using the existing equipment. If successful in resolving outstanding issues, we will increase this ratio significantly and ultimately, completely.

I hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Advertisement

Hi Scott,

Sounds promising.

How are the 25% v92 capable ports allocated.

I presume on a geographical basis?

How can I check before signing up to UTVip, if I will be able

to connect with v92 enabled?

This is a pretty big issue for me.

v92/call waiting is almost like having 2 phone lines.
    Flat rate access is no use to me if it results in my phone being engaged
    all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

The allocation of v92 will be non-geographical. It will simply mean that the first 25% of users logged on will connect to the v92 service and following that, the current terminating equipment. As soon as a v92 port is freed up, the next user to log on will log onto the v92 kit.

I realise that this will not enable you to predetermine the modem you will connect to, but we want to check that the system performs well before rolling it out across the platform.

Regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

Hi Scott,
    Ok, so if I can access a v92 port then "Quick connect" and "Fast upstream" will be supported but what about "modem on hold" ?.
    I'f I'm lucky/patient enough to get a v92 port both before and after my data connection is suspended (due to me accepting another phone call), then will my data connection be restored ?

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    One of the primary drivers for the purchase of the equipment is to resolve the ping issue for the gamers. It is due to be installed and configured on Mon/Tues and should result in improvements

looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Scott Taunton

One of the primary drivers for the purchase of the equipment is to resolve the ping issue for the gamers. It is due to be installed and configured on Mon/Tues and should result in improvements

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet [/B]

sorry but i had to post this again.....when affordable dsl comes in UTV have to be part of it......after dealing with them I really dont want to deal with anyone else.....(but i also really want dsl).I had a problem today connecting to my webspace so i called the help line , thy guy on the other end couldn't have been more helpful unless he sat in his car and drove to my house and not only did he sort out my problem but also had time for casual chat about dsl and these boards.

we are being spoilt...what will we do when we have to move on for dsl...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I had a problem today connecting to my webspace so i called the help line , thy guy on the other end couldn't have been more helpful unless he sat in his car and drove to my house and not only did he sort out my problem but also had time for casual chat about dsl and these boards.

It's just bizarre to read this type of thing on the IrelandOffline forum. I've always been a little concerned when I sing the praises of UTV - worried that it might all backfire on me some day - so it's great to see that they're keeping up with the excellent customer relations, and we can but hope that it represents a continued belief within the company that the strategy is paying off.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PoolBall

Will the utvinternet network be able to determine if a V90 or V92 modem is trying to connect, and therefore not allocate the 25% of v92 capable ports to to V90 modems.

Regards

PoolBall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

no, they wont drop the call if thats what you are hinting at.

enable logging in dial up networking

after connect open c:\windows\modemlog.txt (the log)

one of the last lines will tell you if its v92 or v90 and you may disconnect and reconnect until you do get a v92

heres a specimen 28800 from my PC modemlog

11-09-2002 21:13:18.219 - Initializing modem.
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.229 - Send: AT<cr>
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.249 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.249 - Interpreted response: OK
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.259 - Send: AT &F E0 &C1 &D2 V1 S0=0\V1<cr>
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.420 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.420 - Interpreted response: OK
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.430 - Send: ATS7=60S30=0L0M1\N3%C1&K3B0B15B2X4<cr>
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.450 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.450 - Interpreted response: OK
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.450 - Dialing.
    11-09-2002 21:13:18.460 - Send: ATDT######<cr>
    11-09-2002 21:13:44.527 - Recv: <cr><lf>CONNECT 28800 V42bis<cr><lf>
    11-09-2002 21:13:44.527 - Interpreted response: Connect
    11-09-2002 21:13:44.527 - Receive Connect but CD was low, Waiting for signal to go high
    11-09-2002 21:13:44.547 - CD has been raised
    11-09-2002 21:13:44.547 - Connection established at 28800bps.
    11-09-2002 21:13:44.547 - Error-control on.
    11-09-2002 21:13:44.547 - Data compression on

M

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PoolBall

thats what im hinting at!

But, if they could divert the incomming V90's to V90 ports and give priority to the V92's on the V92 ports it would be nice.

The again DSL would be better, but we all know that old story.

We need every 'bit' we can get out in the sticks in Co. Louth.

PoolBall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I'm just wondering, if this equipment is going to fix the ping times, will it only help modem users, or will ISDN also benefit?

rob

Advertisement