Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I took what steve was saying would effect isdn pings iswell ? Sure it has to, the only ppl that care about pings are the ppl on isdn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by ando
    I took what steve was saying would effect isdn pings iswell ? Sure it has to, the only ppl that care about pings are the ppl on isdn

why would u say that.....i'm playin online for a while now and i only have 56k...........cause its all I can afford .And any help in the ping department i can get from utv , i will very gratefully accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

sorry, did'nt mean it to come out like that :rolleyes: its just i taught this upgrade would effect isdn pings, aswell as 56k pings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I only ask cause I thought v92 is a modem standard, does it apply to ISDN too?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Weird problem

I have a SMC barricade wireless router that uses a serial port to connect to a hayes accura ISDN modem.

Connecting the TA direct to the PC I can connect in about 3 seconds into UTVIP

However via the barricade router takes 2 min into UTVIP

Another member suggested that CHAP or PAP authentication might be the problem.

Unfortunately this cannot be accessed in the router configuration.
    But from the logs PAP authentication is used.

I then tried my old Indigo account and got connections inside 5 seconds via the router every time. same with eircom.net.

So whats different between UTVIP's authentication procedure and indigo/Eircom's??????

Are UTVIP using a chap before pap or visa versa?
    Would a UTVIP support engineer be able to watch me dial in and see whats going wrong??

JWT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Just found this on utv.support newsgroup:
    Dare I be so bold to say this UTV Internet but there cannot be no mistaking
    that there are a few problems we are getting in the south with UTVip at the
    moment. Most probably teething troubles as its a new server and a lot of
    people in the south must have taken up the offer and maybe overloading the
    system a little bit?

May I suggest though that I feel like I am paying a full price for only half
    a service at the moment and maybe you could have thought about a reduction
    on price for the first couple of months whilst the teething troubles were
    sorted out.

I dont know whether you will blame eircom or nevada or whoever but the fact
    remains is that I am paying *you* my monthly subscription. But these are
    some of the problems I am experencing and it is common knowledge by reading
    other posts in this group that I am not the only one experiencing these
    faults. Please dont ask for a log of times / date these problems occured as
    they have been happening frequently over an amount of time and I havent had
    a pen & paper handy.

Problems Include:

1.) Engaged tones quite a lot resulting in getting through on or around the
    8th attempt or try an hour later.
    2.) Not too technical here but some nights quicker at surfing and
    downloading than other nights.
    3.) Very frequently cutting off - settings are OK and doent do it with my
    other ISP.
    4.) very frequently losing connection, nothing happening and stops finding
    web pages and cannot find server for emails.
    5.) still no proper newsgroups. only 2 UTV.Support & UTV.Chat.
    6.) sometimes unobtainable number before it even finishes dialling.

I am ultra sure its not my settings or problems at my end - phone line is
    perfect computer settings are perfect not having problems with other ISP's.
    Its been ironic that some night where I could not get onto UTVip or its been
    unstable that I have had to resolve with dialling up to eircom.net or
    oceanfree.net to get a stable connection even though I am paying
    subscription to you.

As I said you are very helpful by saying that if you have times & dates you
    can take the issues up with Telco in the south but why are you putting your
    subscribers through taking time to note these you really should have all the
    details you need at your end. If I am paying the full going rate I want to
    have a stable service at the end of the day and use the Internet not to be
    worring about technical things like whose fault it is. If there is
    definately a problem with the Telco in the south get it sorted with them, if
    its a problem with your servers overloading then surely you must have
    anticipated what would happen when you took on new subscribers and got it
    sorted *before* rolling out the new service.

Either way what I am angry about is paying full price for something that to
    me has quite a lote of faults at the moment and I hope you get these faults
    sorted out soon without inconveniencing your subscribers any more.

Without me reading any small print, is there any compensation or discount in
    place if a subscriber does not find the service to be fully operational or
    is unhappy with it. I offer a service in my business and if something is
    wrong through my fault I will offer that service free of charge or rectify
    the situation immediately to keep my customers satisfied - its the only
    right thing to do.

I have problems like that too but not too often. I agree it is annoying but I am willing to put up with it becaouse of the cost of using UTVip compaired to the rest. But in fairness if anyone else has the same sorth of problems they should report it to UTVip. Having seen UTV's trackrate im sure they will only be too willing to address the problem/s

OHP

I thought that was a bit bitchy...given the service they supply and the cost......other than pings to game servers , i think this is a super service and really hope that when adssl comes that utv can get in on the act cause i would sign with them straight away.

btw..any news on the upgrades that were going to be done on monday/tuesday...my ping does seem a bit better but I am only online late at night this last week so i really couldn't say one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He should dig out his last eircom bill to refresh his memory at how much it was costing, that might make the oh-so-terrible service seem sweeter.

Must say, I don't have many problems at all, bar the occasional difficulty reconnecting after a time-out. Downloads are fine, pings dont worry me as I've given up trying to compete with a 56k modem anyway and I rarely get disconnected for no reason.

Bring on the 24/7 flatrate service :]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I complained lately, I was nice about it. I asked about system upgrades and asked about expansion of modem baks etc. No reply as of yet. But i don't mind that so much. It's been a bit better now tonight over the last 3 or 4. Connecting first time and actually getting 49kb/s connections.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

althought the service is very good and the pricoing is the best avilable on the marl#ket at the mo, the gaming pings remain unnacceptable, i am considering moving to netsmart

it may be more expensive but the gamer pings are supposed to be good :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I've had absolutly no problems whatsoever with the UTVip service. 3 Times it took 3 attempts to connect, that's about it. I've never been disconnected and I always connect at 53.2Kb/s. I just hope they do bring out an affordable ADSL product because so far their the only communications company I can see myself being happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jonski
    I thought that was a bit bitchy

Hmmm, personally I wouldn't say it was bitchy at all. He's making it known that he's had some serious problems with the service and making his points in quite a polite way (TBH more polite than I usually am when I complain about things - I've been rightly accused of being "curt" when complaining by my friends in the past)

Not everyone was going to have a perfect service - I'd agree that even providing the service in the first place at the price they're charging is a massive step forward; however while I wouldn't say the customer is always right (mostly because sometimes they're not), the customer always has the right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Has there been any word at all from UTV on the DSL issue? I haven't had many problems with them either, but the Esat offer, while still very poor compared to what we should have, will be the best on offer.

I'd happily stay with UTV, but might have to jump to Esat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

My first UTVip bill was dated October 27, 2002 and it was for 95.08 euros. According to my ESAT bill, the last call I got charged for on ESAT was September 14th. I was having problems with dialing UTVip, so went back to the Eircom 1891-121-121 number so my family wouldn't have any problems while I was in the U.S.A. from about September 20th until November 10th. Eircom will be billing for all that time using the 1891-number, of course. I think maybe the voice calls were via UTV, but things are so confused around here I really won't have any idea until about 3 bills have accumulated from Eircom/ESAT/UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davegreene

2nd UTVIP Bill

Just looking at my second UTVip bill for October, and I see that Ive been charged for access on the bank holiday monday (28th). This was supposed to be offpeak wasnt it ???

Anyone else been charged for this day ?

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by davegreene
    2nd UTVIP Bill

Just looking at my second UTVip bill for October, and I see that Ive been charged for access on the bank holiday monday (28th). This was supposed to be offpeak wasnt it ???

Anyone else been charged for this day ?

Dave.

We agreed to charge Bank Holidays such as the 28th Oct etc as off-peak very late on the month of Oct, in fact during the 28th. Unfortunately, we did not change this in our billing software, we are now doing this and your on-line bills will be updated later today with any access on the bank holiday changed to off-peak.

As a very pro-active company providing a flexible service this does have some knock-on effects, to our admin and billing teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davegreene

"As a very pro-active company providing a flexible service"

I have to say, after a week of tearing my hair out trying to sort out problems with both Dell and AXA insurance, it really is such a pleasure dealing with UTV.

Quality service and support is so rare these days.

Keep up the good work!!

keep up the good work indeed..

I just got my first bill from utvip and as i guessed i will save about 100 euro's on my old eircom bill...50 a month....and i am online much more that i was ...and my wife loves me again...well likes me anyway , or is willing to put up with me again....;) i find the service and support excellent , but the best part is..........
    my wife just told me that a girl from eircom is going to call me tonight at 7:30 to talk to me about changing from them....I just can't wait.:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi
    Just a word to thank UTV for making the accounts section
    Opera-friendly after my moaning I had'nt bothered checking for some weeks, but the account e-mail today prompted me to have another go and hey presto - I can see, I can see! :)

I can see I spent €34.49c in October! That's the first time I've looked foward to a utillity bill! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

So they have. Good on you UTV!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

One Question....

If i order UTV Internet today, how long will it take 'till i can connect.

b

took 6 days for mine to kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Thanks LFC -

this what most people experienced?

b

There has been considerable comment on the idle disconnect times within these boards. As promised we have looked at this and although we are charged at a per minute rate for the connection time we have decided to increase the time-out to 10 minutes. We are aware that this will not meet everyones demands but if the change does not adversely impact on our service then we will consider moving this to 15 minutes.
    The change is effective immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Well I've just spoken to Malcolm about problems I had on my first UTVip bill. They were:

1. Being charged per minute for 1850 calls (errorcon charge 5c per call) &
    2. Being charged national rates for certain calls which errorcon charge as local.

I did have a rant about this in another thread, but as I was having a very bad day & hadn't given UTV a chance to attend to this, I've now deleted it.

Glad to say that Malcolm looked into these problems & called me at home earlier to explain/clarify the problems.

Outcome is that he has changed the call billing system & now all 1850 calls are charged at just 5c.

He is also changing the billing with reference to errorcon's recent expansion of certain local call areas.

He explained that there are difficulties with such major changes to their billing system, & they are working on resolving these as a matter of urgency.

So today I've had a better day. My faith is restored ;)

Malcolm has said that he will post here later to clarify this for all UTVip customers, so I'd say that's a result.

Now where's that DSL I so badly want :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yes, Opera support has improved (I can log on and see the account) but I can only see the September statement and not the current October one as the drop-down box doesn't give any other option. Just a little bit more to go ... :-)

Originally posted by morgana
    Yes, Opera support has improved (I can log on and see the account) but I can only see the September statement and not the current October one as the drop-down box doesn't give any other option. Just a little bit more to go ... :-)
    Info on billing
    As described previously we have changed the rate for 1850 calls to a set charge rather than the per minute charge that we previously had, with immediate effect. With regard to the new local rate areas introduced by eircom - these new areas took effect mid October. Unfortunately we are unable to bill part of the month at one rate and the remainder of the month at another. In addition the wholesale rate we pay will be charged at the original rates for the full month. We will have the new areas built into the billing system for all calls from the 1st November.
    Due to changes we are making to the billing software (re-rating of 1850 calls) we are processing the bills this evening and therefore the October bills have been removed and will be displayed on-line tomorrow. I hope this is clear, sorry for the inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Malcolm, do you have any statement to make about UTV's possible delivery of DSL?

Originally posted by Scottish
    Malcolm, do you have any statement to make about UTV's possible delivery of DSL?
    As an all Ireland service provider our aim is to provide a full range of products across the whole island. We are currently in discussions with a view to launching a DSL product in the South, to complement our successful Clicksilver DSL product in the North. We would like to be able to offer this now but will not launch a new product until we can provide a sustainable and affordable product covering a large geographic area.
    We will of course provide an easy migration path for UTVip customers who subsequently wish to convert to any DSL service which we launch.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Malcolm
    will not launch a new product until we can provide a sustainable and affordable product covering a large geographic area.

In other words it'll be a long time thanks to €ircons Wholesale prices or are you going along the lines of Esat and enabling exchanges yourself?

Advertisement