Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Malcolm

We will of course provide an easy migration path for UTVip customers who subsequently wish to convert to any DSL service which we launch.

Convert me Lord...convert me plzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Malcolm,

thanks for the response. Sounds promising, but it will be good if you could keep us up to date with any timeframe that you might have. I think you'll find that the people that have switched over to your service would be happy to stick with you, even if it means waiting for this product, as long as we know how long the wait will be. UTV have been excellent with communication so far. So good that I have almost started watching your channel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Since Scott post regardin the new hardware/software going in has there been any updates on the ping issue as for me alot of others I am sure this is a major problem
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by crazyasafox
    Since Scott post regardin the new hardware/software going in has there been any updates on the ping issue as for me alot of others I am sure this is a major problem
    Cheers
    Information on hardware/software upgrades

UTV Internet will be undertaking a major upgrade to their hardware
    and software for all our dialup services within the ROI on the morning
    of Wednesday 27th November between the hours of 4am and 6am. This
    upgrade will significantly increase capacity and support v.92 and in
    light of demand we will now be upgrading over 70% of our hardware to
    this level. This is expected to be a seamless changeover and therefore
    down-time should be confined to a disconnect and the need to reconnect.

Once this equipment is successfully commissioned we will re-evaluate and address any ping issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

of Wednesday 27th November between the hours of 4am and 6am.

Does this effect Isdn users ? or just 56k users (dunno what v92 is?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by ando
    Does this effect Isdn users ? or just 56k users (dunno what v92 is?)

Just 56k users, Ando. V92 is a fairly new standard for POTS (well, in Ireland anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

V.92 is the new dial-up modem specification from the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) that introduces new features providing convenience and performance for the modem user.

Although broadband technologies (DSL and Cable) are all the rage right now, in reality, most people around the world only have access to analog phone lines. Dial-up modems will remain the primary means to get on the Internet for several years, so it is important to improve the user experience on this technology.

More info at: http://www.v92.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Hello I don't know if it is my pc or utv, but when i get the email
    about my statement being there, and I connect via the link, all I
    get is a small window on the right han bottom corner of my screen, and most of it hidden outside view. Very awkward course I dont seem to be able to go to full view or nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Hate bringing this up again in here but! Ping times. I know there has been a lot of work done by UTVip to improve this situitation but for most of us this has had little or no effect in Ping times for gameing. As an ISDN user I expect nothing less than a 70 to 90 ping and not 270 to 380 on servers. Gameing using UTVip has now become totally unplayable. So is there any good news to look forward to in the future from UTVip?

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by piet
    Hello I don't know if it is my pc or utv, but when i get the email
    about my statement being there, and I connect via the link, all I
    get is a small window on the right han bottom corner of my screen, and most of it hidden outside view. Very awkward course I dont seem to be able to go to full view or nothing!

Hi Piet,

Try asking this in the Newsgroup utv.support If you dont get an answer there try ringing them. I can only say that they are most helpfull with these sorth of problems and very curtious.

OHP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Piet,

Click here-UTVip Then click on view account and then if you have your email address and billing password enter it. If you dont know your password click the email link to have it emailed to you. Then come back and enter it. You now have access to your statement. Print it off and the next time an Eircom drone knocks on your door to try and persuade you to come back to them you can wave the Utv bill under their nose and say, "Beat that and I'll think about it"........but dont think about it cause the thought of going back to the rat doesn't bear thinking about:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

OHP
    "Information on hardware/software upgrades

of Wednesday 27th November between the hours of 4am and 6am. This
    upgrade will significantly increase capacity and support v.92 and in
    light of demand we will now be upgrading over 70% of our hardware to
    this level. This is expected to be a seamless changeover and therefore
    down-time should be confined to a disconnect and the need to reconnect.

Once this equipment is successfully commissioned we will re-evaluate and address any ping issues."

Originally posted by Calibos
    Print it off and the next time an Eircom drone knocks on your door to try and persuade you to come back to them you can wave the Utv bill under their nose and say, "Beat that and I'll think about it"........

ROFL :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This thread is getting a bit ott now... like NOONE is going to read it from the start!

Should we start a new thread (or encourage the UTV guys to get a Commercial Interaction board? *hint* *hint* :) )

Honestly though, I dont mind but it seems a little incongruous to have a 50 page thread in IOFFL ...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lock this behemoth down and start a new UTVi board!

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Many households use the same phone line for both voice calls and data (Internet), so when the user is browsing the Internet, an incoming call cannot get through. MOH allows you to receive an incoming call and stay connected to the Internet (Call-Waiting service from your phone company is all that is required). It also works in reverse; you can initiate a voice call while connected and keep the modem connection.

Will this be available on UTVip? If so do I have to do anything to enable it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeVore
    This thread is getting a bit ott now... like NOONE is going to read it from the start!

Should we start a new thread (or encourage the UTV guys to get a Commercial Interaction board? *hint* *hint* :) )

Honestly though, I dont mind but it seems a little incongruous to have a 50 page thread in IOFFL ...

DeV.
    Made a new thread asking for opinions on this here . Left this one unlocked for the moment (it's been a long ride but the thread is more dishevelled and disorganised than ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Hmm pings HAVE gotten better .. like 80 odd to irish CS servers .. 450 to irish NS servers . but that's no surprise with NS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

isdn ping is still not g00d :(

seriously considerig netsmart/broadband at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    Will this be available on UTVip? If so do I have to do anything to enable it?

This would just put the icing on the cake, i'd even be willing to pay a small charge for this.

I've actually read the entire thread, sad, i know :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

The equipment upgrade scheduled for early this morning has been completed successfully.
    In relation to ping times initial tests completed by ourselves show an improvement in pings. We will keep you informed of any further developments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

The equipment upgrade scheduled for early this morning has been completed successfully.
    In relation to ping times initial tests completed by ourselves show an improvement in pings. We will keep you informed of any further developments.

So right now the story is that 70% of your servers are upgraded for v92 support and lower pings? If this upgrade is successful when do you expect to upgrade the remaining 30% of machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

Slight improvement today

Single channel ISDN

On UTVip

C:\>ping www.barrysworld.co.uk

Pinging www.barrysworld.co.uk [212.67.202.241] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.67.202.241: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 212.67.202.241:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 80ms, Maximum = 80ms, Average = 80ms

C:\>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 70ms, Average = 70ms

On Oceanfreee

Reply from 212.67.202.241: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=238
    Reply from 212.67.202.241: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=238

Minimum = 60ms, Maximum = 61ms, Average = 60ms

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=246
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=246

Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 52ms

And just for the comedy value, on Eircom sub

Reply from 212.67.202.241: bytes=32 time=361ms TTL=241
    Reply from 212.67.202.241: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=241
    Reply from 212.67.202.241: bytes=32 time=130ms TTL=241
    Reply from 212.67.202.241: bytes=32 time=231ms TTL=241

Minimum = 80ms, Maximum = 361ms, Average = 200ms

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=250
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=250

Minimum = 40ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 47ms

Actually, very good to jolt
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

How can I tell if I'm connected thru V.92?

I have noticed that before upgrade, msdos tracert's used to ALWAYS take 60ms to exit the utv internal network. Now for the first time, I've seen it at 50ms :) Not great, but its sure is getting better. Pinging in Msdos is generally 10ms lower than before ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

As of this morning since the upgrade, i've been unable to use linux to connect to UTVip.

Malcom, what exactly has changed? any prompts or anything?

i can connect fine in windows but linux just hangs after the inital "Connect xxxxx" string passes.

Any thoughts/idea's ?

I would appreciate a wee bit of help on this as upgrades are supposed to help ;) not hazard our experience :)

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cannot connect to UTVip at all tonight. 2 occasions once at around 9pm and then around 11.30pm.

Error messages coming up about Remote connection has dropped and then about insufficient clients. Will this be sorted tomorrow. Also will I be credited for the calls I've had to make thru Unison.ie to connect to the net tonight as the UTV service was unavailable.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Gandalf, in the same boat as you, have not connected with utvip all night. This has happened twice to me now, last time it was fixed the next day.

rob (dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bfree

Well as I am still here using my nolimits account I feel I have to comment. Firstly 150 hours a month with a 2/hour connection limit off-peak only is not flat rate internet access! Simple as that. No whether or not I have a flat rate conneection on nolimits is a good question as plenty of people were kicked off for excessive usage. That said I have regularly used my connection for 40 hour connections over a weekend or for 10 hours/day for 3-5 consecutive days and I'm still here! To me nolimits has been flat rate (though for a friend who connected every off-peak minute of the day it was not). The issue is not who can roll out a service like this, the issue is who can unbundle the lines from eircom to offer a true flat rate service (i.e. 24/7)? While were on the subject, I formerly worked in a telecoms company in dublin (not one of the very major players) and we offered only one rate for all calls so why can't anyone offer one of these deals as 150 hours per month when you want it? The prices that company had for peak V off-peak were virtually (if not) identical! Are the interconnect charges really so different? If UTV could not make the offer 150 hours any time, how about 120, 90 or anything better than €10/month + €1.2/hour peak (at €30 thats only 25 hours, if you go for a straight €2/hour it's only 15hours)? It pains me to see people rejoicing in a deal like this, we've been here before and UTV will simply close the service as esat did if the unbundling scenario is not rectified quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was connected all last evening with no problems whatsoever :confused:

Re:: bfree, its different situation this time around, now there is big pressure/demand for flat-rate services which was not so vocal when esat dropeed nolimits

Advertisement