Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ando I can dial and connect via Eircom & Unison so the problem is not from my end. I could connect to UTV with no problems at all until the hardware upgrade during the week, the problem is definately at their end.

As regarding Zyxel products I resell computer equipment and have sold their products to quite a few of my customers with no problems at all. I have also used this TA with numerous Irish ISP's with no problems until now. And no I don't have a 2nd TA around.

BTW I have tried the switch it off etc etc but to no avail. It is not my hardware, it is not my config (nothing new has been added in weeks) this problem has occured since UTV upgraded their Hardware.

Gandalf.

Flame I doubt that setting up a 2nd Dial up Networking connection will work but I will try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mo'

Originally posted by Malcolm
    CPS - Carrier PreSelect
    The UTVip internet service is combined with UTV being changed to your telephone provider. i.e. we will provide your telephone service and bill directly for all calls with the routing completed at a software level in the eircom exchange. Therefore if you use the UTVip service you will only be billed by eircom for line rental. Details are available on www.utvip.com

Try this on for size......I got a bill from €ircon the other day for €524 'coz when I upgraded to ISDN after joining UTVip, €ircon "took back" the CPS on my line. So when I thought I was dialing up for free on UTVip in the evenings and weekends, I was actually being charged @ €ircon rates :eek: .

UTV has since informed me that they have only recently found out that if you upgrade to ISDN after joining UTVip, then your CPS transfers back to Eircom (without notification), so BE CAREFUL.

I don't know where the f*** I'm gonna get 500 yoyo's from now :confused: Iwas expecting to cough up about €150 to €200 MAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Mo'
    UTV has since informed me that they have only recently found out that if you upgrade to ISDN after joining UTVip, then your CPS transfers back to Eircom, so BE CAREFUL.

This has (recently) been mentioned somewhere above in this thread. Personally I'd class it as meeting the strict definition of the term "slamming" (see other recent threads about this) but I'd love to see whatever users have to sign when switching to ISDN.

On that note, Mo, can you have a look at whatever form you signed so see if it makes reference to it in the small print? I'm not implying you can get out of paying Eircom or anything like that - I'm just interested for future reference.

Originally posted by sceptre
    On that note, Mo, can you have a look at whatever form you signed so see if it makes reference to it in the small print? ...

That's the best part... I did not sign a thing. The Eircom account is actually in my wifes name. I rang the 1901 number and ordered the ISDN and they came and installed it a couple of weeks later. Nothing signed at all. And was billed for it @ the end of September.

After I signed up to UTVip and upgraded to ISDN, I actually received a letter from €ircon stating that they "noticed" I had changed my telephony provider...unfortunately, I did not keep the letter :( as I could have used that to nail their arses for the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Jesus thats bad Mo. Maybe give those muppets at the odtr a ring and give them somein to do. Not sure if they can do anything but what u got to lose. Just doesnt seem right you having to pay eircom that. It could only happen in Ireland eh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Mo,

Have you considered talking to your local "Private & Confidential" [CIC] - Citizens Information Centre ? for some FREE advice on your dilemma with Eircom accounts department. The CIC is a government sponsored/funded pro-active service for citizens of this state.

Also, in relation to your finding €524 to pay Eircom accounts and avoid disconnection. You should talk to [MABS] - the Money Advice and Budgetting service, which is also Ptivate & Confidential and another FREE Government funded service for citizens. MABS will probably offer Eircoms "Credit control department" a bi-monthly small amount of money too be paid off each billing period until your arrears are cleared off completely.

This is not unusual and as long as you are seen to be - making an effort - to pay any outstanding arrears. Then they legally are obliged to accept the offer? comingfrom MABS or directly in writing from you.

Both these services are listed in all telephone directories, so as they say why have a dog? and then bark yourself!.

Good luck. Eircom are obliged to co-operate with both these organisations?...

Yours,

Paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Mo'
    Try this on for size......I got a bill from €ircon the other day for €524 'coz when I upgraded to ISDN after joining UTVip, €ircon "took back" the CPS on my line. So when I thought I was dialing up for free on UTVip in the evenings and weekends, I was actually being charged @ €ircon rates :eek:

holy $hit, thats really a bad one mo. I'm always nervous getting a eircom bill because of stories like this one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

mo, just wondering, but do you have the '13513' before the UtvIP number? ie, 135131890....... ?
    From reading the thread, it seems that prefix should force all calls to utv and not eircom

And when you ring 0111222333 do you get a message from nevadatele?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Exact same happened to me when i downgraded from isdn to pots line over a year ago.
    I was on Cinergi using isdn, then i downgraded, found out 3 months later that all my voice calls were being billed by eircoN.
    Cinergi told me there was nothing i could do about it at the time(Jan 2002), though i didnt end up with distortionate big bill like Mo because no flat-rate type product was available to me back then to compare costs.

Cinergi reverted me back to their billing during the same phone call.

Also i didnt sign anything when line was downgraded, or when to revert back to Cinergi !

Its a grey area, maybe one the experts here...ahem Muck could give you some advice.

Originally posted by ando
    mo, just wondering, but do you have the '13513' before the UtvIP number? ie, 135131890....... ?

I did not have the prefix in, but my internet calls to the UTVip dial up (****927161) were billed by UTV nonetheless. Unfortunately they were billed by €ircon as well.

UTV has agreed to credit me for the calls they billed me for on the last bill though, coz they agree that I shouldn't pay twice for the calls :) .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by gandalf

I have upgraded my Zyxel OMNI.net plus from firmware 4.23 to 4.26 and I am still getting the same error. I have rung the support line but the girl on duty said that you have limited TS on the weekends and could not help me which while understandable is not good enough for me. I will ring tomorrow (Sunday) and try and talk to someone whose name she gave me but at the moment you are making a previously satisfied customer unhappy.

Also it would have been nice to get a reply to the email (#57641) I sent 2 days ago.

I also see you didn't respond to me regarding credit for calls I have had to make thru Unison & Eircom to go online during times I expected your service available to me, can you clarify this please ?

Gandalf.

Ahhh you have the dreaded ZyXEL omni.net Plus too I thought I was the only one that got caought by Eircon on that one. Anyway I have the exact same problem as you Gandalf and I upgraded the firmware as well and like you it still made no difference. However I rang UTV support and they gave me the old Pay as you go dial up number and I tried it and it worked perfectly. So I dont think its our ISDN modems fault even though it only seems to be happening to a handfull of us. As I said the old Pay As You Go UTV connection works fine. I can post the UN, PW and dial up number here for it if you want. I am using OCEANFREE since Wed night too.

OHP

Forgot to mention / suggest that if we cant use the new UTVip dial up number would it be possible for UTV to allow us use the old Pay as You Go instead. But I understand the old PAYG is being upgraded too so it looks like we might have to get new modems if UTV are unable to resolve our problem. :(

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by OHP
    Forgot to mention / suggest that if we cant use the new UTVip dial up number would it be possible for UTV to allow us use the old Pay as You Go instead. But I understand the old PAYG is being upgraded too so it looks like we might have to get new modems if UTV are unable to resolve our problem. :(

OHP

Guys, this may sound a bit on the silly side, but can you put the dialout number into the ISDN TA? like the phone number you are dialing from ?

I found in some cases with some TA equipment that they dont function properly if its not configured into it. Also the UTVip service being a CPS based service may need it.

But still ... madness as the upgrade didnt have anything to do with ISDN :)

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Is anyone else having problems connecting? I've tried to log on a couple of times this evening and I after it finishes dialing it pauses for a second like its sending a signal then it disconnects and redials. Right now I'm connected to eircomnet :(

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Guys, this may sound a bit on the silly side, but can you put the dialout number into the ISDN TA? like the phone number you are dialing from ?

I found in some cases with some TA equipment that they dont function properly if its not configured into it. Also the UTVip service being a CPS based service may need it.

But still ... madness as the upgrade didnt have anything to do with ISDN :)

Paul

Not silly at all Paul and yes I have done that the modem wont work without it. :)

OHP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I never had a problem until they upgraded their equipment and now it can take 15 -20 attempts to get online. Also, I have a V92 modem but the modem settings won't allow me to set anything up to do with V92. Does anyone know what needs to be done to utilise the V92 standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Same here LFC fan. I hope they're going to compensate users....I've had to dial in through Indigo almost all weekend. Getting a line busy tone now. Flamegrrl rang their support and they said there's no problem at their end, and it was probably a nevadatele issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Unstable

I suspect its just busy today, but its taking me on average 7 or 8 attempts to connect. The worst today was 14 attempts. Its not so bad for me cause I'm on isdn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

seems to be working perfectly for me..been online a few times since 12 last night ..gaming and whatnot...(oh yeah , being hacked)_and no problems what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Today is the first time I've been unable to connect to UTVip-I've made nearly 100 dialup attempts since 5pm and no joy :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Problems here also, glad others are having it aswell, thought something was wrong my end, but dialled in first time using another ISP who will remane nameless.

I've changed my mind.....I can't connect now either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Before I allways got connected 1st time, now it takes 3-6 times.
    not to bad!

ffs.....I've changed my mind again....right i'm now connected using utvip again after about 20 tries..but there u have it , still cheaper than any other option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Jesus. Is something wrong with UTV - haven't been able to dial up at all today? What's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I've been unable to connect since, been using eircon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

no problems here,just been connected at slower rates then usual..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

same here, managed to get connected after about 20 tries.
    Nearly always connected first time before today !

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Lets hope its a temporary glitch due to yesterdays "upgrade".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Terminator
    Lets hope its a temporary glitch due to yesterdays "upgrade".

The "upgrade" didnt go ahead.

see the thread on the net/comms board for more info.

i've not been able to connect at all since around 6pm, and i've notified UTV of this and they have only gotten a few calls on it. there are people who have not been able to get on since this morning.

Advertisement