Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Well, they've got me for the minimum 3 month contract - if they cant resolve the current problems in that time I'm gone :(

I have recommended UTVip to a couple of people over the last week - afraid I'm going to have to unrecommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

guys , I've been using utvip since the start of october and the service and support has been nothing short of excellent...this is the first weekend that things have gone wrong..

Remember these are the ppl that changed things to suit us or at least listened to our opinions and acted on them....( an isp that was working to help with pings for gamers for gods sake ).
    the upgrades were for our benefit , and it was for a couple of days....how quick we forget down here...

at the end of the day if you want to go back to esat or errorcom . then obviously you are never going to be pleased..

as reguards the asking for help on tech issues on this thread , its no harm but don't be too quick to moan if u don't get a reply ....thats not why this thread is here and their support line is very good with ppl who know what they are talkin about..

I've met a few foreigners working here and their overall impression is that Irish people will put up with crap goods and services because we are too tolerant and easy going. We do not complain. These foreigners attribute this to Irish people having either low self-esteem (a Russian theory) or missing chromosomes (a Canadian theory). As long as we go on putting up with crap nothing will improve. :)

As I'm paying for this service I expect

1) some apology for poor standard of service

2) some explanation of whats going wrong and what is being done to fix it

Not a lot to ask for

its no harm but don't be too quick to moan if u don't get a reply

btw my post on the UTV support forum is being steadfastly ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

jonski I have to agree with Pork99 here. Very little information on what the problem(s) are is been furnished.

I know problems do occur in IT I work in that industry and I understand that it can take time to fix issues. 1 to 2 days is understandable, 5 days is really pushing it . I know if we left one of our customers with no service for 5 days with no real explanation we would be in trouble.

Personally I hope this is a one off glitch as I have found all the UTV people I have talked to and emailed to be courtous and tried to be helpful which if you have had experience of ESAT or Eircom support is a refreshing change.

However this is a service I have paid for in advance and cannot use thru no fault of my own.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Martin, Carl et all from UTVi have been posting here, and more in the utv.support usenet forum, and they're keeping us all up to date.

They're doing the best they can. Things can and will go wrong with ISP's. I think UTV are great in the way they interact with customers. When have you ever seen Eircom etc tech people answering questions in here?

Don't make such sweeping statements if you're so uninformed.

I personally will be sad to leave UTV when I get DSL in January.

(edited - please keep the abuse off the forum, that way I won't have to edit it. Nothing personal, but cut it out - sceptre)

Unfortunately my experience of UTVip since I got my account activated last week has been negative, I wish I could say otherwise.

It takes at least 4-5 attempts to dial in, the connection always drops at least once, connections when online are extremely slow, and on some days it is impossible to dial in at all. I appreciate that this is not necessarily UTVip's fault directly but their provider Nevada(?)

I have been reading the thread here and in the UTVip forum but all I have seen so far are excuses, I'm not getting the message that anything urgent is being done. OK, anyone can screw up, the man who never made a mistake never made anything, I want to know what they are doing to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by pork99
    OK, anyone can screw up, the man who never made a mistake never made anything, I want to know what they are doing to fix it

And would you or the majority of UTV users understand?
    Why don't you just ring them and question them if you want your questions answered asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Unfortunately my experience of UTVip since I got my account activated last week has been negative, I wish I could say otherwise.

It takes at least 4-5 attempts to dial in, the connection always drops at least once, connections when online are extremely slow, and on some days it is impossible to dial in at all. I appreciate that this is not necessarily UTVip's fault directly but their provider Nevada(?)

I have been reading the thread here and in the UTVip forum but all I have seen so far are excuses, I'm not getting the message that anything urgent is being done. OK, anyone can screw up, the man who never made a mistake never made anything, I want to know what they are doing to fix it

Pork99 - In fairness to you, I understand where you are comming from. You are only on the service a few days, your a "Virgin" in one sense to this service. Admidatly it has been a rough ride since last tuesday. Upgrades went ahead there for all modem customers and there were a few issues that to my knowledge have been ironed out. There was also a problem the weekend, but I think that too was solved in good time. It took a few hours, but only after several people had rang in, if you dont let them know they can not know of the problem. I myself rang several times over the weekend to alert their support team of problems.

In closing pork99 I think if you stick with UTV and give them a chance to get through these much needed upgrades you will find it is a far more superior service than any currently available and the tech support is second to none.

have faith my dear pork99 :)

Regards,

Paul

Flame, Pork99 maybe a UTVip Newbie but I am not. Also my problems as of yesterday evening still have not been resolved. I am getting quite disappointed with the imformation coming to me and the lack of a leadtime for a fix.

The basic fact is I am paying for a service in advance that I cannot use because of changes UTV made last week. I have no idea of when they will resolve this problem and they have made very few recommendations for me to try, those that they did have not worked.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gandalf
    Flame, Pork99 maybe a UTVip Newbie but I am not. Also my problems as of yesterday evening still have not been resolved. I am getting quite disappointed with the imformation coming to me and the lack of a leadtime for a fix.

The basic fact is I am paying for a service in advance that I cannot use because of changes UTV made last week. I have no idea of when they will resolve this problem and they have made very few recommendations for me to try, those that they did have not worked.

Gandalf.

Gandalf, I know you are having a prolem connecting, i'm sure UTV will deal with it acordingly. But im trying to re-assure pork that the service is a good one, and to be honest cant be beat.

There must be something really simple wrong with your setup. I don't know what though :(

Regards,

Paul

Even some explanation posted on their site would be good

Have not checked the suport forum today so I dont know if I've had any response there

I am annoyed, first I've had to put up with being screwed for 56k dialup since 1997, I dread to think how much they have gouged out of me in that time*, I cannot get ADSL because the same people I have generously funded over 5 years are too lazy and/or incompetent to upgrade my local exchage, I cannot get wireless BB because of f~cking trees in the way, and when I finally think I've made some progress I find that the standard of connection gets even worse and I can barely get a connection.

I'm livid

:mad:

* rough estimate 6,000 to 7,000 euro - multiply that by a few hundred thousand - I'm not the only one getting screwed - and you have to ask yourself what have those b^st^rds done with all that money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I am annoyed, first I've had to put up with being screwed for 56k dialup since 1997, I dread to think how much they have gouged out of me in that time*, I cannot get ADSL because the same people I have generously funded over 5 years are too lazy and/or incompetent to upgrade my local exchage, I cannot get wireless BB because of f~cking trees in the way,
    To be fair, these other problems are not the fault of UTV.

its kind of a last straw scenario - I'm more annoyed than I otherwise would be because of the context

I'm usually a very patient person

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Gandalf, if your that stuck then get a new TA. £30 sterling can get you an asus internal which is so much better/reliable than omni.net's. I know its a bit extreme getting a new modem but if you feel your missing out that much...

Ando that is your opinion I personally find the Omni.net to be an excellent piece of kit which works with every other ISP out there.

I mean to be honest that is a pathetic fix, spend more money because UTV has messed up a service that was previously working :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

Originally posted by gandalf
    Ando that is your opinion I personally find the Omni.net to be an excellent piece of kit which works with every other ISP out there.

I mean to be honest that is a pathetic fix, spend more money because UTV has messed up a service that was previously working :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

Can I presume that you have contacted them in person? i.e via phone? What are they telling you?

Yep by email, here (boards) and by phone. The impression I am getting is they just plain don't know what the problem is, that maybe unfair but as they are not communicating back to me either here or by email or even by phone its my assumption.

I couldn't ring them last night as I was home late. There is no point ringing from work as I can't try anything they might suggest to me.

Gandalf.

onet-1.gif

this is the modem you have gandalf, yes?

I might try get one from work and try it at home later, see if i have the same problem

Thats the puppy ando. If you can test it I would appriciate it as I'm sure UTV would as well.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

Talked to Martin in UTV a while ago. He has suggested some new approaches and I'll try those tonight if they work I will post them here.

Fair play to him he rang grumpy old me in work :)

Gandalf.

yea, I cannot get the omni.net to work from home, but I'm sure its just a faulty Omni.net modem that is causing it as I cannot dial up any Isp at all

On another note, I rang 0111222333 from my isdn line and I DID NOT get the recorded message saying I was connected to nevadatele.com. All I got was beeping. I'm getting worried that I'm paying by the minute here although I am using the 13513 numbers.

Well I tried Martins suggestions and it looks like they work (well I'm on for the 1st time in 6 days).

Choose V120 (64k) as your Modem protocol and enable the "Show Terminal Option Window" in Interactive Login & Scripting.

Happy again :)

Gandalf.

plyd UTV once again :)

Originally posted by ando
    yea, I cannot get the omni.net to work from home, but I'm sure its just a faulty Omni.net modem that is causing it as I cannot dial up any Isp at all

On another note, I rang 0111222333 from my isdn line and I DID NOT get the recorded message saying I was connected to nevadatele.com. All I got was beeping. I'm getting worried that I'm paying by the minute here although I am using the 13513 numbers.

Ando - did you sign up to UTVip when you had a PSTN line and then upgrade to ISDN in the mean time ? if you did, it seems eircom mvoe the routing back to their network. i'd get on to both UTV and eircom First thing. Don't wait for a bill from eircom.

Play it safe.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I've found quite a bit of trouble getting a connection via UTVip for the past few days, too. During peak hours if I have to get on, and if I get on, I get kicked-off almost before I can start typing or clicking. Tonight (Tuesday December 3, 2002) I find that I can't get on even after about 8 attempts and then I give up and dial the 1890-121-121 number which I think goes through Eircom and I get on first try. Right now I might be on UTV or Eircom, I can't remember which. I hope Eircom isn't "putting it to" UTV!

Got some replies from UTV on their support forum etc and I am very satisfied that they are doing something - the praise of their tech support seems to be justified :)

The responses I've got were polite, helpful and informative, its a good test of a support service if you get a bit narky and they're still helpful - 10/10 on that front guys!
    I hope Eircom isn't "putting it to" UTV!

I would not put it past them, (mental picture of some bloated rats chewing my phone line) but the problems might be due to some network upgrade to accommodate v92 modems

At least I know that they're aware that theres a problem and something is being done to sort it which was all I asked for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

At this writing, I get a bill from Eircon, ESAT/BT, UTVip, IOL and AOL. All this to ensure that I can actually get an email out the door now and then. I finally made a spreadsheet that shows how much moolah I've poured into my telephone line here since February 1997 and "it ain't pretty". I suppose this is the price we must pay to break Eircom's monopoly, but it's a hard and heavy load and a long and dusty road.

can some of you please try calling 0111222333 and see if you get a recorded message? There is a few others having this problem iswell, I wonder if it is my problem or utv's?

BTW, I ordered Utvip when I already had Isdn installed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by TomF
    At this writing, I get a bill from Eircon, ESAT/BT, UTVip, IOL and AOL.

AOL? How did you manage that?
    Thought they didn't operate in Ireland..

Advertisement