Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Darth Homer
    Do some of you people not leave your houses ? I dont know about you but 5 hours a day is loads.

When i get home from work i dont logon till bed time .... just a suggestion, dont flame me, but get out a bit more.

Well, not all people live in such a wholesome way :P
    I used to get online when I woke up at 6pm on nolimits, and not log off till 8-10am the next morning, every day basically.
    Bloody muds ;)

Then again, I failed school and so forth.
    It's a wonder Esat still hasn't booted me... (jinx?!).

Down to about 5 hours a day I guess now though, due to actually being "busy" with things "outside the house", I think they're called ;)

Anyway, great offering for anyone who actually has a life, Utv :)

I hope to bollo enough people start signing up for this that eircom scutter themselves, and the situation with flat rate calls moves on from the stagnant way it's in.

Sláinte :)

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Fmcgrath perhaps with NTL you should consider your options. I think you pay an extra €5 (approx) for NTL World giving free internet access at weekends (12am Friday to 8am Monday) which totals 224 hours per month approx.

Therefore:

NTL World €5 (approx) for 224 hours per month free internet access

UTV €29.99 for 150 hours free

If having access during the week bothers you, you could buy some of the esat hours and it would still be cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

sorry if this is a dumb question, but i have to give ntl a months notice before they cut me off, is there any way to get UTV's new service before that month is up? Im on their weekend package if it makes any difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Lets partially blame Eircom! They have peering in the INEX and the LINX too. Having peering doesn't actually mean they use it though as you have to arrange with each ISP to peer with them. I think it'll be in UTVs interest to start peering with the other ISPs when they get a good few users as it'll save them money on international bandwidth.

** Edit:

Here's another traceroute from the Heanet router in the INEX :)

Markievicz>trace mail.dna.ie

Type escape sequence to abort.
    Tracing the route to mail.dna.ie (194.46.8.11)

1 schiphol-atm3-0-9-inex.hea.net (193.1.195.185) 12 msec 8 msec 12 msec
    2 158.43.111.41 12 msec 12 msec 8 msec
    3 ge3-0.xr1.dub2.gbb.uk.uu.net (158.43.152.1) 16 msec 12 msec 12 msec
    4 so3-1-1.tr2.lnd9.gbb.alter.net (158.43.253.57) 20 msec 24 msec 20 msec
    5 POS2-0.BR1.LND9.Alter.Net (146.188.7.246) 24 msec 20 msec 24 msec
    6 146.188.41.46 100 msec 100 msec 100 msec
    7 zcr2-ge-2-0-0.Londonlnt.cw.net (166.63.222.130) 100 msec 100 msec 100 msec
    8 bcr1-so-7-0-0.Thamesside.cw.net (166.63.211.201) 104 msec 104 msec 104 msec
    9 car1.Thamesside.cw.net (166.63.210.1) 104 msec 108 msec 104 msec
    10 nevada-telecom.Thamesside.cw.net (166.63.214.22) 108 msec 112 msec 120 msec
    11 BNR-3.DUB-01-atm2-1-2.nevadatele.com (195.218.126.241) 116 msec 132 msec 136 msec
    12 bel-bgp1-s4-16.nevadatele.com (195.218.126.226) 44 msec 44 msec 36 msec
    13 BEL-AGG-7200-02-FE11.nevadatele.com (213.185.196.141) 36 msec 36 msec 36 msec
    14 BEL-LINE-7200-01.nevadatele.com (213.185.196.13) 36 msec 36 msec 36 msec
    15 213.185.211.226 40 msec 40 msec 40 msec
    16 mail.dna.ie (194.46.8.11) 40 msec 40 msec 40 msec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fmcgrath

Daveg Thanks for the input as regards NTLworld.
    Too be honest i am quite happy with NTLworld what with their weekend deal but to be honest I do like to spend around an hour or so firing of mail and browsing a bit "Of an evenin'".

To be honest with you, I belive this is the beginning of something very positive and unless very mistaken it has to shake the other ISP's out of their complacency. UTV were the first to be proactive and the main point is...

UTV have shown themselves to be proactive now, SO when there is a better offering I believe that that better offering will be from UTV. By signing with them now I should be in the right place waiting to catch the ball.

TIZLOX: whatya rekon youre in the same predicamnt as me as regards NTLworld. Any feelings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Ok did some number crunching to work out the best value for money...here is what I came up with!

I worked out the cost per Kbps / hour for each of the offerings , here is how they compare :-

EsatBT

30 hours @ 56k - .0089c per kbps / hour
    60 hours @ 56k - .0074c per kbps / hour
    90 hours @ 56k - .0069c per kbps / hour

UTV

150 hours @ 64k - .00312c per kbps / hour
    150 hours @ 56k - .00357c per kbps / hour

Assumes :-
    You use your full allocation of hours
    You actually get 56k at standard dial up ( unlikely ) but the same calc is used for both so it's a constant
    all the usual obvious stuff!

In General UTV voice rates are higher than Esat IN PARTICULAR Mobile , UK and US- except for some of the Irish Stuff.

This is just a quick calc so E&OE open to correction etc etc .. disclaim disclaim disclaim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Doh! Rates are Euro not Cent - sorry! multiple by 100 for Cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

I'd like to thank everyone at IOFFL for the positive comments, feedback and above all support.

Without giving you the full PR blurb, we're delighted to be able to launch UTVip and expand choice for Irish Internet users. We only wish we could have done it sooner and can't believe that through lack of competition in ISP services in ROI that you've had it so bad.

Hopefully, we can expand on this with 24/7 and broadband offerings which we've developed for NI. As you all know though, it's not completely in our hands. We'll do our best!

Thanks again

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wonder when Bill Murphy and Philip Nolan are going to come on the IrelandOffline boards and talk to us...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

I note some concerns about cutting people off beyond the 150 hour mark. How would users feel about UTVi charging our discounted local rate for calls beyond that?

That'd be 0.95 cent per minute. If thought to be beneficial, we'll introduce that to our T's and C's from tomorrow.

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

I've used utv internet for ages and there the best, customer service like I've never experienced and quality product, now i can get off peak internet acces at a rate I can afford, perfect!!! Eircom can kiss my very very happy ass, just signed up online!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    I note some concerns about cutting people off beyond the 150 hour mark. How would users feel about UTVi charging our discounted local rate for calls beyond that?

That'd be 0.95 cent per minute. If thought to be beneficial, we'll introduce that to our T's and C's from tomorrow.

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

Scott

First off, congratulations on the product

Second, well done for turning up here, and the same to Martin

.95 cent per minute sounds harsh, Eur29.99 for 150 hours is .33 cent per minute so that would be a steep climb. But of course it would be better than being locked out, dumped or whatever.

It seems like there is room for a range of products. Already mentioned were concurrent subscriptions (i.e 2X Eur 29.99 for 128K access) Consecutive subscriptions (2X Eur 29.99 for 300 hours access) The idea of a minute rate after 150 hours isn't bad, but it should be one of a number of options. And if its going that way, how about a warning e-mail after 130 hours, and every 10 hours thereafter.

Still, i keep pinching myself. The MD of an Irish Communications company participating in a discussion forum and musing about product design ..... are we in heaven or what

All that worries me is that I might wake up and find another EirCriminal bill in my letterbox ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

I've used utv internet for ages and there the best, customer service like I've never experienced and quality product, now i can get off peak internet acces at a rate I can afford, perfect!!! Eircom can kiss my very very happy ass, just signed up online!!

I couldn't agree more. I've used UTV now for well over a year, and I easily get my fastest connections over my dacs'ed line with UTV. Customer service is truly excellent aswell.

I'll be signing up as soon as I nab my mother's credit card tommmorow. (Hey, I'm a student. And I'm currently unemployed. Shur what can ya do).

Couldn't of happened at a better time either. Got a bill for €358 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

I knew utv wouldnt let us down. I think someon menctioned this but is it possible to connect using 2 isdn lines if you buy 2 packages? Oh and a warning email is a good idea for users reaching their limit.

Thanks utv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I wonder when Bill Murphy and Philip Nolan are going to come on the IrelandOffline boards and talk to us...

adam

talk "to" us ????????????

talk "at" us, talk "down to" us, talk "over our heads", perhaps

but talk "to" us ??????????????

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

All that will stop me form ordering this product is if UTV'S call prices are higher than esats as during the day the line is used a good deal for voice calls. If it works out more or less the same then im sure ill subscribe. Shame about the 2 hours disconnect but hell its better than paying 100 euro+ very month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I 've just signed up (thank God for credit cards!).

What can I say that has'nt been....except maybe that now this product is here, when Errorcom respond (and they will) not one of us should move our acount even if and this is a big if Eircoms service is slightly cheaper.

He who comes late to the market gets stuffed!

BTW Is'nt is ironic that the saviour of this Republics domestic internet market is a TV station based in a foreign state, says it all really.

Mike.

p.s I just checked that 25 ppl are reading this thread! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

Scott - yes, that would be *extremely* beneficial, and I can't emphasise that enough really :P.

Stupid question, can we sign up for more than one account per phone number? ^_^;; Heh heh...

Well done Scott, Martin and the rest of the UTV crew - I'm not quite old enough to buy you lot a drink, so how would you feel about a few free Diet Coke's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Inf

Just about to print out the DD form now, niceone UTV on goving us this product :)
    Any idea if isdn users will be able to get it for both lines? i have 4 ppl in my house that use the net, i use it quite a bit as does my mam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I think that e-mail notification when you surpass 130hours and then every 10 hours after that is a great idea, or some kind of warning anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Just said i better put in my 2c, thanks utv you 'are teh win' as they say.

MD of UTV internet replying to posts and pitching ideas to users????, umm yes please :D.

On the whole .95c a minute after limit, great idea, better than getting kicked off the serivce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Congrats to UTV for providing this service first of all...

I currently have IOL No Limits @ 56k but am considering to change over to UTV because of the ISDN-64k support..

The only concern is the 150hrs thing.. Will the "View Account" section on the site show how many remaining hours available on login?
    That would be very helpful to me, rather than having to run seperate dial-up monitor software to prevent myself from going over..

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by daveg
    Fmcgrath perhaps with NTL you should consider your options. I think you pay an extra €5 (approx) for NTL World giving free internet access at weekends (12am Friday to 8am Monday) which totals 224 hours per month approx.

Perhaps you are forgetting something:
    Afaik Ntl require you to change your voice calls to them when you sign up for Ntl world, this new UTV offer requires the same.
    Always thought Ntl is only 48 hrs off-peak at weekend though.
    The UTV option is spread out as its off-peak during week as well.

So you can only choose one !

As well as the internet offer, the voice call option is very attractive for me to switch to utv. Big savings ahead i reckon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you UTV Internet!

Everybody should sign up for this, tell your friends, post messages about it on as many message boards/forums as possible (I've just done F1Racing.net and I'll post it on other boards as well later on), just generally spread the word and get as many people to sign up for this as possible. The two reasons for this are:

1: Show Eircom that there is a demand for flat-rate, despite what they may think and,

2: Take business (and more importantly, money!) away from Eircom and shaft them the same way they've been shafting all of us for years.

I just hope Eircom are reading this now and are $hitting themselves with fear. Eircom, you've butt-f**ked all of us for long enough. Bend over, b!tch, and prepare to be well and truly butt-f**ked by UTV and all your (soon to be) former customers. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh happy days! :D

P.S. A question for either of the UTV people, if you get a chance to answer. Despite the launch of this product, will you still be campaigning and negotiating for a proper FRIACO product? I hope so because, while this is a major step, in the long run I think what everybody would ultimately want is proper, 24/7 flat-rate internet access. And, by the way, from your negotiations with Eircom, is there any indication that this might happen soon or are they still as stubborn as ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by megasheep

On the whole .95c a minute after limit, great idea, better than getting kicked off the serivce.

Yep, i think i agree with this idea

I was going to sign up for the Esat, i nearly made a big mistake!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think its an excellent and longover due move that the companies who provide access actually engage in dialogue with the users.

I've known for quite some time that people just want a fair deal. Already people here are suggesting ways to more fairly limit time online when UTV were only saying "hey guys, just dont over use it and we wont kick you, overuse being about 150 hours a month".

This is the "spirit of the agreement" that wasn't defined before...

I think it might come as a shock to a lot of telcos that while there may be a lot of hatred for them, its more because they hide away and treat their customers like leechs rather then assets.
    Engaging in dialog here has cleared a few minor owwies from UTV's T's and C's and their product offering, and its all the better for it...

Didnt they used to call that "Market Research"?
    Maybe I'm just oldskool...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yes it would. Currently I'm thinking of mixing and matching your 150 hours or so with an 1891 via IOL. If there was something like this, I'd just use UTV all the time when accessing the net. Depends I guess on whether you really want people who will approach and possibly exceed the 150 hour mark ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by mike65
    BTW Is'nt is ironic that the saviour of this Republics domestic internet market is a TV station based in a foreign state, says it all really.

Mike.

I was just thinking the same thing - we have to rely on a company outside the state to provide us with decent, affordable internet access and we have to rely on another to give us decent, relatively affordable digital television.

When will Irish companies listen to us, the people who pay their wages?

Well done UTV, and no disrespect intended with the above comments.

TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I've never seen so many ppl's names under the 'Users Browsing the Forum:' !!!!

BTW, I've just signed up for UTVip. My only quiery is, it did not give the option for ISDN? It did say if you have any additional numbers... I dunno if it was correct with what i did, but I put in my second ISDN number in the 'additional numbers' box...?

anyway, thx UTV ppl, I really needed something like this to come along, to help with study and work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

Yeas Please!

That would be ideal for me, i will no doubt go over the 150 hours, so i would prefer to be charged the extra rather than run the risk of being kicked off the service.

Thnx Scott.

Advertisement