Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

thanks utv :) the only problem i have is my ping in cs is 70 with oceanfree and 130 with utv it still wont stop me signing up
    cs is rubish anyway :D
    [edit] i just checked dl speed 7.7 kbs on single channel v nice :) [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    I note some concerns about cutting people off beyond the 150 hour mark. How would users feel about UTVi charging our discounted local rate for calls beyond that?

That'd be 0.95 cent per minute. If thought to be beneficial, we'll introduce that to our T's and C's from tomorrow.

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

Sounds very fair Scott, but as has been said an e-mail warning or some kind of "log in to check time online" would be a great idea.

Fair play and the very best for the future.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I note some concerns about cutting people off beyond the 150 hour mark. How would users feel about UTVi charging our discounted local rate for calls beyond that?

That'd be 0.95 cent per minute. If thought to be beneficial, we'll introduce that to our T's and C's from tomorrow.

Scott, as has already been noted, that would be preferable. It would allow me to use UTV Internet as I now use my mobile: I make calls, and if I exceed the free minutes, I get charged accordingly.

I have already signed up. I've been a UTVi fan for quite some time now anyway, and this just seals it for me. Roll on full FRIACO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Splaaassssssh!

And im in!

Dotsie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

While noting with pleasure the shaft of sunshine that has just emerged from the dark cloud that is affordable Internet access in Ireland The Reg has drizzled somewhat on the parade with the following quote........
    Although these are positive steps for Irish Internet users, some may be disappointed that UTV Internet did not introduce true flat-rate, which is a common offering in most European countries, including Northern Ireland.

Noting that UTV at 150 hours are not even the best offering in Northern Ireland where true flat-rate is also available.........

Lest a swallow make a summer and all that.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

Just did the math. I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

I've logged on to UTV Internet and done the traceroutes - as far as I can see UTV is only routing within Ireland to two other ISPs - Esat and Nevada Telecom. (Esat is the only one that goes via the INEX)

INEX Peers:
    Esat - Yes (tested with ns.iol.ie and auth01.ns.esat.net)
    Eircom - No - routes through US via C&W.
    Colt - No - routes through UK
    C&W - No - routes through C&W UK
    Nevadatele.com - Yes - Direct link.
    Via Networks - No - routes through US via C&W.
    HEAnet - No - routes through US via Sprint.
    UU Net - No - routes through UK.
    Ntl - No - routes through UK via C&W + Sprint.
    AT&T - No - though I wouldn't bother :)

Also your nearest Akamai server is in the UK (there's at least two in Ireland) and there seems to be no peering through the linx at all.

Also there's an announcement on boards.ie about them moving the server from Nevada to a different provider because of the poor connectivity to Irish ISPs. Ironic that most of the people that read boards are all going to move to UTV and the problem will be just bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Adressing the NTL issue;
    Im pretty fond of NTL, can usually get ISDN speeds easily, and the 48hrs at the weekend is great

5hrs a night though, seems a bit better, for a gamer such as myself, and I'll just use eircom or something for an extra few hours at the weekend. By the way, dont suppose theres any chance of making that 2hr dc a 3hr dc is there? :)

one more thing, seeing as you can buy 2 150hr packages for 2 phone lines (for the 128k customers), is there anyway of buying 2 150hr packages on one phone line, giving 300hrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

I'd prefer that - as someone else said earlier, not being the only internet user in my house, it's difficult to manage 150 hrs over a few PCs.

Having said that it sounds like a great package, thank you, I'll be signing up as soon as Eircom install my 2nd line :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Wow, i sure picked the wrong day to be stuck in work till 10 :)

Great news UTV and as has been said before a big thanks to Martin and Scott for answering questions on the forum all day (Maybe eircon would stop and think about customer relations after reading that). This is the best news in a long time and hopefully is another step in the FRIACO direction.

Just to clarify one point. Since as far as i can make out, there is still no FRIACO deal, Are UTV using this as a loss leader, as Esat did with NoLimits? I love seeing customers leaving Eircon in droves, but are eircon still getting the same money from each off peak call as they would from a customer using an alternative carrier NOT on an off-peak deal ?

Thanks again guys, Id sign up instantly if i wasnt on Eircons DSL. Ill leave the obvious UTV DSL questions for another day.....Noone expects 2 miracles in one day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

How's about this for a dealy, Scott: introduce the above to your T&Cs, and give us something back in terms of the number of hours involved: say, another twenty.

You get to minimise your risk -- mad leechers pay you after 170 hours, so you don't lose money on them -- and those of us closer to a standard distribution above average use get a little back in terms of extra time.

IThis will even out the risk at the top end - and, by doing it, you won't have to phunt off any customers, since the excess is clearly stated, charges are lower than they can get elsewhere, and will take a *very determined* effort to get to.

Not that I'm telling you how to run your business, or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Its great to see someone gives a damn .UTV gets my vote and money from now on :)shame i still have to pay Eircon line rental grrr.On a personal note big thx to martin for taking the time to answer questions and keep us all informed.I may be tempted to get ISDN back now unless UTV can come up with a real broadband soloution for us :).

Thx again UTV/Martin :D

PS localy i shall be shouting your praises to get you as many customers as poss just hope we dont overload your system :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Fair Play UTV!!

Methinks it's time for u to do a "All your base are belong to us atm" at Eircon.

Also, would there be a possiblity of a longer cut-off time , say 3 hours instead of 2 as some RTS games go on longer than that (maybe a gamer's package at a slightly increased cost??)

Just my 0.02c

And finally this thread is growing liek mad , it was 6 pages when i started reading, it is now 9 :D.

P.S SCREW U EIRCOM!!!! w00t!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Are UTV using this as a loss leader, as Esat did with NoLimits?
    they've stated in another thread that it's not a loss leader.

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    I've logged on to UTV Internet and done the traceroutes... I can see UTV is only routing within Ireland to two other ISPs - Esat and Nevada Telecom. (Esat is the only one that goes via the INEX)

... poor connectivity to Irish ISPs. Ironic that most of the people that read boards are all going to move to UTV and the problem will be just bad :)

Same issue with all Irish ISPs, including Eircon? If that's the case, why not save some money by using UTV (or EsatBT's) products. Am I missing something here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

30 euro a month?**** that!!!!:mad: Our bill goes to 60 odd euro from the phone calls so if you add another 60 to that it works out at more than our phonebill usually is!Feck sake,why cant it be like england where you can have broadband flat rate for something like £14 a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by The Gopher
    30 euro a month?**** that

[edit....]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

30 euro a month?**** that!!!!:mad: Our bill goes to 60 odd euro from the phone calls so if you add another 60 to that it works out at more than our phonebill usually is!Feck sake,why cant it be like england where you can have broadband flat rate for something like £14 a month?

Errr, What are you talking about?

If you only make 60 euros worth of internet calls every two months, dont get it the service? (If you only use the net that much, you wont find much of interest on this forum tbh :) )

There is no broadband in england for 14 per month. 29.99 is the cheapest available.

30 euro a month?**** that

You don't need 150 hour online per month, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Well done UTV :)
    Originally posted by Dustaz

There is no broadband in england for 14 per month. 29.99 is the cheapest available.

Broadband in the UK can be got for under £20. It is £14 wholesale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

nyom, lovely to see a return some of our previous flat rate stuff.

as previously said i'd love to see if their is the posibility of doubling ones subscription on one line, my line is used for well over 150hr's/month, one other thing, in the form you give the option to specify a second number, would it be possible to buy 2 subscriptions i.e. buy 300hrs and use double time at 128k/s or single time at 64k/s as i wish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i was happy after hearing about Esat BT's offer. now i have nearly pissed my pants. this is brilliant. it will save me a fortune. now all i must do is convince the God's of my house to move from Eircom to UTVip. shouldn't be too hard i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Just been checking out your site and the clicksilver service would be great (dreaming here) I also looked at getting ISDN back on from (groan) Eircon at a cost of €119.99 so the thought occured will clicksilver make its way down here to us and if so roughly how long ? the point being id rather wait for true broadband using your new service and not give Eircon more money.That said if its going to take years then id go ISDN.

THX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

just signed up by credit card, having forgotten i'll actually be away for most of september 8)

still, it'll be well worth it, now to cancel my NTL!

nice one, martin and his team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Does anyone know if I can sign up for UTVip even though the Eirc*m account is in my dad's name??

(I can't sign up in his name)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Home late from work to find THIS in my mail box :):D:)
    UTV Internet today launched voice and internet services to Irish consumers, becoming the only Internet Service Provider to currently offer flat rate access. The new services will be available throughout Ireland. They will provide consumers with savings of 25% on eircom call rates for local, national and international voice calls and off peak internet access (evenings and weekends) for a flat rate of €29.99 per month.

Further details of the newly launched services are now available at UTV Internet’s website, www.utvip.com, by telephoning 1890 926 000 or by emailing info@utvip.com

Original Message
    Sent: 31 August 2002 02:24
    To: sales@u.tv
    Subject: Flat rate dial-up in the the Republic

I would like to register my interest in any flat-rate products (broadband or dial-up), that might become available in Ireland. Basically, the first to bring it out, will sign everybody up, it’s that simple.

Thank you,

Stephen Dooley

Smashing !!!!

Originally posted by Nyum Nyum
    Does anyone know if I can sign up for UTVip even though the Eirc*m account is in my dad's name??

(I can't sign up in his name)

Nope. Not possible, well not "ethically" anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I meant with my own card details :D

Thanks anyway - I'll have to get the line changed to my name then

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Excellent News. I will be moving over my ISDN (which I was about to terminate) and my Analogue line to UTV tomorrow or Monday. I will also be ringing Eircom telling them that they have 3 hours to give me I-Stream at uncapped €60 per month (which I know won't happen) and telling them if they don't I will be placing all my call business to another vendor (which I will be doing anyway).

Now all I have to do is sort out this line rental. Time for a letter to the ODTR about my lack of choice in line rental provider.

Good work guys and thanks to all those at UTVi for been a innovator something that has been sorely missing from the Irish Telecommunications market. Its also refreshing to see the senior management of a company interacting with their potential customers, something that "Dr." Philip Nolan & the other "Management" at Eircom could learn from instead of pimping their wares with misleading and untrue adverts.

Actually one final question to UTVi if you launch a broadband product will you wave the 1 month termination for those of us who are impatient?

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I notice a lot of people asking for automatic e-mails to be sent when they approach the 150 hour "limit" so that they know.

Why not download a program that monitors your online time and monitor yourself????

Here's one I came across:http://download.com.com/3000-2155-10136258.html?tag=lst-0-13

It's also possible to get programs which will limit the online access per day, so if you wanted, you could break up the 150 hours into 30 x 5 hour sessions.

Mike

Advertisement