Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Macker
    Anybody know if called ID has to be unblocked to recieve this service

TIA
    Macker

http://www.utvip.com/ans.asp?id=336&type=cat&category=utvipsouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Personally, I just wrote in my email address near my postal address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Bit late now, I already sent the form off...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I am an IOLGold customer, and I paid them the whole year's fee a couple of months ago. Now I am greasing the skids to slide over to UTVip, but I wonder if IOL refunds the money?

IANAL, but AFAIK:

It partly depends on your contract. A lot of contracts these days say you have to sign up for a minimum period, and Esat (Esat owns IOL) could try and hold you to that. However I'm not sure how this would stand up in court, particularly for a service that doesn't really require a minimum investment. And given that, I'm not too sure how far Esat would go against you. (They are persistant little buggers, they're still billing people they kicked from Surf NoLimits, believe it or not.)

You should start by trying to get a refund from them directly anyway. Ring them up and ask nicely. If the person on the other end of the line says they don't have the authority, ask to speak to someone who does. If they refuse, and you still want to get your money back, you have a couple of options if you paid by DD or CC: If by DD, you can simply cancel the DD by going to your bank and asking them to do so; if by CC you can contact the card issuer and ask them how to go about a chargeback.

If you paid by cheque, your only option is small claims court. Again, IANAL, but I think your chances would be fairly high here, considering that - assuming you cancelled your service - the supplier isn't actually supplying you with anything any more. But again, the contract will have a bearing here.

HTH,
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Originally posted by daveg
    150 hours max usage per month... use it more than that and your bumbed same as esat did

Is this true? Will your contract be terminated if you go over the limit, or will you just be charged for local rate calls for the rest of the month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

After you hit the cap, you're charged the UTV local rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

(They are persistant little buggers, they're still billing people they kicked from Surf NoLimits, believe it or not.)

Trust me.. I know all about that bit... I didn't pay them for it until 2 years later... :( (They charged me for 2 weeks, then they charged me about 17 Euro after I was cut off).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I r teh signed up , GOD BLESS MY DADDY'S CREDIT CARD!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

anyone know if this service will work in BeOS? Much as I like my freaky alternative operating system, i'll chage back to XP (shudder) if i have too...

Eircom.net didn't work in BeOS, and on my PC, IOLGOLD will ONLY work in BeOS... doesn't like my modem in Windows... not only is it 'Hayes-compatible', as the customer care guy asked me... it IS a Hayes

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

anyone know if this service will work in BeOS? Much as I like my freaky alternative operating system, i'll chage back to XP (shudder) if i have too...

Eircom.net didn't work in BeOS, and on my PC, IOLGOLD will ONLY work in BeOS... doesn't like my modem in Windows... not only is it 'Hayes-compatible', as the customer care guy asked me... it IS a Hayes

As long as you don't use the dialer supplied on any cd they give ya, you'll be fine. I'm guessing they'll just give you their DUN phone number with their confirmation email, so you can just set up a manual connection, like what I did with SNL when I got annoyed with the terrible icon supplied with their dialer. I prefer doing stuff manually anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Why does it have to be Direct Debit or Credit Card? The thing is, it's not a fixed fee per month (if you happen to go over the limit) and, well, unless one has a very fixed and regular income rate it is hard to know how much to reserve in an account.

On the other hand, that is no worse that the HIDEOUS shocks I get regularly from that vicious, greedy, shortsighted, uncaring, obnoxious mouse.

I'm moving house within the fortnight but am delighted to inform Eircom that I, too, am voting with my feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

any chance of unbundling the telephony, i cant get the mother to agree to change from Eircom :( great job tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

hi scott, can you give us a word on the latency issue ? I for one would be prepared to pay extra if it meant getting lower pings for gaming. Its the only thing i find a bit dissapointing with the package !

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Nuphor
    I'm guessing they'll just give you their DUN phone number with their confirmation email, so you can just set up a manual connection

Certainly works with the free service. UTVi strike me as a beardy-friendly company that way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

Right this is my first post so most will skip over but...

Why not have and on and off peak for the 2 hour cut off like during the hours of 6pm - 11pm is the (peak(off-peak)) hours so have it at 2 hours but after the hours of 11pm till 8am (off-peak(off-peak)) hours have the cut off time at 4 hours for the gamers who stay up all night improving there pale complexions :p

other wise yea as a iol no limit cut off user i think this is bleedin amazin!! fair play to utv. and get off your ar$es republic!! or there will be more job losses

paul
    the legend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I *do* think that it would be a lot more attractive if UTVi could offer another payment scheme besides direct debit or credit card, since in principle the amount paid is variable and that could cause problems for customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I didn't pay them for it until 2 years later...

I didn't pay them at all. I never will. What many people seem to forget is that you had to pay the first month in advance, much like a security deposit for a flat. Companies take it for granted that you'll forget about it. I don't. Esat can bite me.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Smiley

I'm with TomF *points up the thread* when he says This is all getting too complicated for me.

NoelRock says:
    UTV's phone rates are 25% cheaper than eircoms. So your onpeak should be 3 cents per minute and your off peak is under 1 cent per minute.

ok, but......
    I haven't yet found out how UTV's home phone costs compare with Esat (not Eircom) - looked on the site but cannot find a comparison. Also with IOLGold I am paying 4 cent per minute peak and 1 cent offpeak BUT as I have Esat home phone, this is not Eircom's money (thank god) - so "25% off Eircom rates" tells me nothing. (All I pay to Eircom is rental.)

What I'd LIKE... is to be able to use the Internet product without changing home phone provider.

Actually what I'd like is a 24/7 flat rate product if truth be told but at least these are steps in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

WOW, only 400 or so more views and this thread'll have 10K views :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

yeah, its probably going to break records for veiws/replies in the end..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

There is a very superficial comparision to Esat's call charges on the UTV site, i.e.
    Standard Rate inc VAT Eircom Esat BT UTV Internet
    Dublin - Dublin (Evening ) 1.26c 1.27c 0.95c
    Dublin to Cork (Weekend) 1.26c 1.26c 0.95c
    RoI to USA (Daytime) 19.05c 18.31c 14.29c

However, I really need to see more detail than this, i.e. full per-minute figures for local, national, mobile & international calls for each of daytime, evening & weekends. I've had no response to my mail to UTV requesting this - Did anyone get this data?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

A query.

I have two lines one of which has IOL no limits.

If I sign up to UTV with both lines, to obtain the 25% lower call charges, will I still be able to connect to IOL no limits.

I would then have my other line as the UTVIP flat rate line.

I can't see a problem with this but can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

another question

I have a business line at home so what effect wil this have on me.

will i have to change it to residential first. should i bother doing anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

UTVip is an offpeak service... Just curious, but can you use your 'free' hours on Bank Holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Bank holidays are considered as off peak by eircom, therefore i suspect UTVi will also consider it off peak. so the answer is Yes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

For 1891 numbers, the call costs are as follows, if you care to read the first page of your eircom phone bill.

For:
    peak usuage 8am - 6pm its costs 1.9c/m exVAT.
    off peak usuage 6pm - 8am it costs 1c/m exVAT.

its never 4c/m using ay 1891 internet access number.

note: there is a minium call charge of 6.35c on every call.

i had to clear this up, as it was anoying the shít out of me.

Regards,

Paul

p.s if you are unsure of this look here http://mmm.eircom.ie/winback/res/value_calc.asp

p.p.s we would all like a 24/7 flat rate product. Give it time and it will come. As long as LLU stays undone, it will never happen. :(
    Originally posted by Smiley
    Also with IOLGold I am paying 4 cent per minute peak and 1 cent offpeak BUT as I have Esat home phone, this is not Eircom's money (thank god) - so "25% off Eircom rates" tells me nothing. (All I pay to Eircom is rental.)

Actually what I'd like is a 24/7 flat rate product if truth be told but at least these are steps in the right direction. [/B]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Great news and a step in the right direction. I'm particularly impressed whith Scott and Martin hanging out on Boards to answer queries and even make changes to the T&C's. Imagine Eircon doing that .... oopps I just saw pigs flying by my window
    How long will we <ungrateful as we are and never really happy> now have to wait for a true flat rate for us poor sods working from home and requiring unmetered day-time access <dream state induced now> ...
    FRIACO is needed now!!!! Never mind ADSL / cable access as they all seem to bypass Cork alltogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by RainyDay
    However, I really need to see more detail than this, i.e. full per-minute figures for local, national, mobile & international calls for each of daytime, evening & weekends

According to esat's website here

Daytime call rates i think are same, 3.8c a min on both esat + utv
    However off-peak are cheaper on utv @ 0.95 c/min in comparison to esat 1.27c/min. Mobile rates are same i think.
    Internet calls on esat are 1c/min off-peak, however utv offer 150hrs worth for €30.

However i believe IOL gold is a sub service paying your 20 odd euro a month extra for 4c/min peak, 1c/min off-peak. Same applies to any eircom subs service(open to correction here).
    I have two lines one of which has IOL no limits
    If I sign up to UTV with both lines, to obtain the 25% lower call charges, will I still be able to connect to IOL no limits.
    I would then have my other line as the UTVIP flat rate line.

Utv package is per line, so whats stopping you dialling nolimits on a utv line?...having a nolimits and utv internet package on 1 line is ok as nolimits afaik does not need to to be on esat's home phone service.

Hope this helps :)
    Anyway, one way or another you would have lots of off-peak hours !! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Great news and a big step into the right direction. I'm particularly impressed with Martin and Scott hanging out on the Boards to respond to queries and even adjust T&C's.
    Now I'm just waiting for a proper 24/7 flat rate <ungrateful as I am> as us poor sods working from home need flat rate day-time access .. will FRIACO ever happen <induce DreamState now> ...

Advertisement