Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to learn how to fly-fish

Options
  • 05-09-2002 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Any advice would be appriciated. I want to learn how to fly fish. I have fished on and off (course and sea) since I was young. Never taking it seriously. I am now living very close to the clare river in Galway which is supposed to be excellent for trout and Salmon. What would you recommend - taking a course - buy a fly rod and teach myself ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 westerly

Hi

The Pontoon Bridge Hotel in Mayo runs courses each spring and autumn with a resident ghillie and he can help you - recommend that you buy yourself a 9 ' rod (short rods for rivers, longer rods for lakes) to start with, a heavy line 6 or 7 and for the Clare river (not that good!) maybe something like a slow sinker... and you will be fishing with wet flies in no time, mind catching fish is a whole other matter!!! :-)

Get out in the back garden or down a field and try it yourself.

it takes practice and a basic book will show you how:

ISBN 0 - 8069 - 4255 - X
    "Fly Fishing Tips, Techniques and Strategies from the Experts"
    by Paul N Fling (honest!) and Donald L Pterbaugh is an American publication but most of the basics are readily explained and illustrated. Easons stocked it but you could try Amazon also...

FWIW...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i went into a fishing shop in cork and said i want to start fly fishing thay sold me the gear quite cheep went home and start praccying in back yard and then i went to river next day use these hand movements for casting = quather to12, 12oclock,quather past 12

also buy a book or two after u get into fly u wont turn back i know i was very same as u ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

LastIrishMonkey, what shop in Cork was that? Also, where in Cork do you go fly fishing? I've never done fly fishing before and would like so start also.

k murrays for the gear and best starting place would be anglers rest pub in a field cross the way follow the path next to car park also ull kinda need a pair of waidders so u can get out to where
    walk out to where fish are bitting also i started with dry flys seasons nearly over so wait till sale this sould set u back if u bought them in mid summer but wait till sale m8 lake are good starting area lake that are stock is good for the feel of fly fishing

BUT GO INTO T.W MURRAYS ASK THE STAFF FOR THE BEST AND CHEAPEST GEAR FOR A STARTER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I know the field by the Anglers Rest, looks like a nice place, but a bit busy. Theres another place I was thinking of - a big field on the Lee road, opposite a grotto, have you ever gone there?
    What stocked lakes are there around the city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

If you want to take lessons try the Spiddal Angling School.

The school is run by Noel Thornton. His courses cover coarse fishing, bait, salmon and trout flies, rods, lines, spinners, game fishing and fly casting tuition.

Address: Spiddal, Co. Galway.

Phone: 091 553510

now i think the grotto is ruled buy cork salmon fishing ppl but go for a walk up and down the river from there plenty of places m8 emmmmmmmmmmmmm ! stocked lake are more out of city theres a good place near inasacarra dam but u have to pay moneh also near glonthorne there rainbow trout stock there fat and stupid thay will eat anything i used bumble bees there a type of dry fly i caught 3 or 4 cant remeber

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Thanks for all the info folks... Acidflash I remember seeing an add for the place in Spiddle so I think I'll give them a shout. Thanks for that.
    buy yourself a 9 ' rod (short rods for rivers, longer rods for lakes) to start with, a heavy line 6 or 7 and for the Clare river (not that good!)

Westerly r you saying the Claire river is not that good... I thought it was supposed to be. Can anyone recommend any other good sites in Galway for fly fishing ?

When you say you are living close to the clare river, which part do you mean?? Whats the nearest town to you??

There are a few tributaries of the clare river which are good for fly fishing. I would also recommend fishing out around Maam Cross and Oughterard.

When you say you are living close to the clare river, which part do you mean?? Whats the nearest town to you??

I'm in Corofin. It's about 3 miles from Claregalway out the Tuam Road.

• Advertisement

Hi

Fished the river a lot recently and found it to be very patchy - suffered a lot from excessive weed growth with lots of problems in fishing anything other than white water sections. You can't beat the lakes but that requires a different type of fly fishing (longer rods and quiet people!)... one option for people starting is to fly fish for small pike, using a small lure a bit like a mouse - you bounce it along over the lily pads etc and it will take pike this and next month... FWIW...

I'm in Corofin. It's about 3 miles from Claregalway out the Tuam Road.

Try the Grange and Abbert, both are tributaries of the clare.

The Grange joins the clare from the east 4m south of Tuam. Brown trout and salmon in the lower reaches.

The Abbert enters from east, 7m south of Tuam. Good trout fishing. Brown trout of 3lb are regularly taken. The best angling is at Ballyglunin junction with the clare.

The best angling is at Ballyglunin junction with the clare.

Acidflash can you give me an idea of where this is ? I'm very close to Ballygluinnin so this would be ideal. Thanks.

Also does anyone know what the story is with fishing licences ? Do I need one to fish here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

mike1.gif

Hi

Try reading some of the articles on this site:

www.activeangler.com

Very American, talking about loads of fish we do not have here but the basics of fly fishing are the same the world over.

FWIW...

Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 billyfish50

A few weeks ago I downloaded a fly fishing package from www.betterflyfishing.com I'm finding it really helpful. I think it's a great package for beginners. There are 6 ebooks covering just about everything you need to know. I've been out 3 times since I got it all and I've started catching more fish than I ever did before.:P

billyfish50

Advertisement