Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firmware update

• 05-09-2002 7:03pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Alan Green
    NDS/SKY
    Thu Sep 5 09:06:58 2002

Sky are going to do an over the air firmware update to the sky boxes in the next couple of months to 'sort out' Hacking of Sky. This I know for a fact.

I also have heard that NDS are looking to buy SECA!!!

September may not be quite as good as you expect (especially in the long run).

Lets not get too excited.

I found this while surfing through this website www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/ and was wondering if some one could explain what it meant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

*cough* cynical adjective *cough*

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

that still dos'nt tell me what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Sky are going to do an over the air firmware update
    There are over 10 million Sub and FTV cards in circulation.
    Unless Sky digital has been hacked (This will not happen in the near future), BSkyB are not going to go the the administration expense of updating cards. 10 million phone calls. 10 million angry customers demanding to be re switched on.
    I don't think so Digi Kid.
    They told me that the four irish stations were coming on 23rd April and that Channel 4 and UTV would follow on in the first week of may
    Also you have a bit of a history of telling fairy stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by carrolls

There are over 10 million Sub and FTV cards in circulation.
    Unless Sky digital has been hacked (This will not happen in the near future), BSkyB are not going to go the the administration expense of updating cards. 10 million phone calls. 10 million angry customers demanding to be re switched on.
    I don't think so Digi Kid.

What?
    .....what?

I think you mis-read his post which is entirely bullshít, issued every other month about these elusive Sky hacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Sky Digi Kid
    Sky are going to do an over the air firmware update to the sky boxes in the next couple of months to 'sort out' Hacking of Sky. This I know for a fact.

Oh FFS not this again.

There's no proper method of hacking the encrypted signals from Sky. Not yet (and possibly not ever - the box marrying trick means Sky have effectively got a one-time pad method on this one)

If you're talking about the Russian channels that rebroadcast Sky box office events, that's not hacking, it's retransmitting.

If you're talking about the various phone number tricks read here

The news on the wire about SECA 2 is all bumpf - there's no substance to it.

• Advertisement

quote:
    They told me that the four irish stations were coming on 23rd April and that Channel 4 and UTV would follow on in the first week of may

Also you have a bit of a history of telling fairy stories.

carrolls,

To be honest I think that this is unfair. At the time I was only passing on the information which was recieved from one of the telephone operators @ sky. Now looking back we all know how much that they know.

Also as regards the purpose of my thread I only came upon this item while reading through that website. This was something that I found and I did not understand what it meant so I decided to post it here as I knew someone would be able to enlighten me. That was all that I was trying to do. I simply was not saying that this was going to happen as I did not know what it meant, so I feel that you were a little out of order with your statement regarding me telling fairy stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

quote:

Also as regards the purpose of my thread I only came upon this item while reading through that website. This was something that I found and I did not understand what it meant so I decided to post it here as I knew someone would be able to enlighten .

I think that your post did not make it clear what was a quote and what was your view. Perhaps you could also make better use of the thread title, maybe something like " rumour about firmware upgrade" just my two cents, dont mean to be overly critical

As for your earlier information about ITV etc did you also mention the source at the time of posting?

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Maybe when i posted the thread I did not make myself 100% clear that I did not understand what it meant. Maybe I should have been more clear on what I was trying to get across, but hey why keep bringing up the past. Am I the only person ever to post information which turned out to be untrue? No i dont think so. So get of my case.

If I remember correctly at the time Tony I had a conversation with you over the phone about that particular thread and you told me I should put it on the boards to see if anyone else had heard about it.

Here is the link to the thread for those who want to read it for themselves http://troll.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47914

Maybe when i posted the thread I did not make myself 100% clear that I did not understand what it meant. Maybe I should have been more clear on what I was trying to get across, but hey why keep bringing up the past. Am I the only person ever to post information which turned out to be untrue? No i dont think so. So get of my case.

If I remember correctly at the time Tony I had a conversation with you over the phone about that particular thread and you told me I should put it on the boards to see if anyone else had heard about it.

Here is the link to the thread for those who want to read it for themselves http://troll.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47914

Firstly I'm not on your case and secondly please do not refer or quote from private telephone conversations which I may have engaged in. That coversation took place some time ago and has no relevance to the thread we are now discussing. Perhaps you should use quotation marks when quoting from other sources and I think you will then find that no one will be "on your case" as you put it.

Regards Tony

Point taken as regards private conversations. Also in the future I will use "Quotation marks" as you suggested.

We all learn from our mistakes. No hard feelings so.

• Advertisement

Of course no hard feelings, "the man that never made a mistake never made anything else"

Tony

Point taken as regards private conversations. Also in the future I will use "Quotation marks" as you suggested.

We all learn from our mistakes. No hard feelings so.

Advertisement