Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigsmart - Benefit Night - September 11th

Options
  • 05-09-2002 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Just a quick reminder here. Its on next Wednesday in The Temple Bar Music Centre.
    Full line-up is....

Blotooth
    Otranome
    Polar
    and Oz

Its only €6 in,
    to view details of who benifits from this fundraising event please check out the following link

http://www.gigsmartireland.com/9-11.htm

Thanks. Please try your best to come along, its for a very good cause, and its a fantastic line-up aswell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

during a fit of coughing the village elder was heard to say the following:

gimme a b
    gimme a u
    gimme an m
    gimme a p

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Thats all great and I really am glad to see charity gigs happening, but here's my soapbox moment:

There are childrens hospitals in Dublin that can't afford to open or staff their Intensive Care Units.

There are schools for handicapped children that still have very few teaching materials. Very little government funding is given towards these kids.

Some charity gigs for these causes would be nice, instead of causes that already have millions of people worlwide donating to them.

And Kurdt, you now making less sense than me. Get it together. It's a slippery slope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

Silverfish Valid point,
    Maybe some more should be organised to help some people closer to home that the world is not thinking about but are equally as important and worthy.www.sundogsband.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

good ole cancer research too...considering 1 in 3 of us will get cancer!

Yeah, and considering two members of my immediate family have it........

But, hey, yeah,
    I'll be there on Sept 11th, I'll pay me europes on the door,

and I'm sure all you guys will get round to helping more immediate charities in time........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

SilverfishL, In the words of the King Himself.

"A little less conversation, a little more action".

What is stopping you from organizing this, why don't you just start calling bands and venue's that is exactly what I do, and I don't have a big supply of funds backing me up.

Its one thing to say why not help these people, don't complain that your kitchen is dirty, just grab a mop.

Why not just praise a good deed for what it is, instead of critisizing it for what it isn't.

Well that is my two cent.

Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Regardless of all that stuff what Niall really means to say is come along , meet us and we'll help you put on a show for local charity fo your choice if you really want to do it.

All the best ,
    Trev Gigsmart/Otranome ;0)

I will support any good cause, but I won't knock one just cause It doesn't reflect my personal interests.
    If you are campaigning for Childline, does that make Concern a lesser cause? Of course not.
    On September 11th 2001 a terrible thing happened in New York and Washington, and because of this event people are still suffering in Afghanistan.
    This is our way of commemorating these events and this will also help the people most effected.
    GigSmart has also had other Charity nights, we did a fundraiser for Beaumont Hospital in Whelans last July.
    So we are doing our bit to help out when we can, just because this is the highest profile gig that we have put on, doesn't mean that its the only one we've done.
    And besides its not our efforts that made this what it is or what it will be, its your reaction to it.

Hope to see you at the show, and hopefully put some names to faces.

Kind Regards.

Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

Could'nt have said it better myself Nial.

Thankyou silverfish for letting us know about the charities needed closer to home, but september the 11th will forever be a charity for all the victims the very date itself implies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i'll be there anyhoo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 juno

"On September 11th 2001 a terrible thing happened in New York and Washington, and because of this event people are still suffering in Afghanistan."

That's very true but I think we all know that financially Afghanistan needs far more help. Are any of the proceeds going to charities operating there?

the benefactors are Concerns Afghanistan appeal and 9/11 Victims Fund.

So its all very diplomatic.

Regards.

Niall.

Niall,

I'm sorry if you saw my post as a personal attack on the fundraising you are doing. This was not my intention.

So in response to:
    Why not just praise a good deed for what it is, instead of critisizing it for what it isn't.

I refer to my earlier post:
    I'll be there on Sept 11th, I'll pay me europes on the door

I don't recall criticizing, i fact what I said was:
    I really am glad to see charity gigs happening

I don't know any bands, I can't afford any bands,I can't afford Whelans, or the TBMC on the pay I take home, so I donate whatever I can directly to the charities I mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

Originally posted by Silverfish
    Thats all great and I really am glad to see charity gigs happening, but ......

Some charity gigs for these causes would be nice, instead of causes that already have millions of people worlwide donating to them.

Words highlighted in Red that may have caused the confusion silverfish. Be sure to word your opinions correctly or others are going to take them up the wrong way

Would you not be better off railing against people who aren't willing to donate to this cause rather than people who are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

woooh chill.... lets all play nice
    I don't know any bands, I can't afford any bands,I can't afford Whelans, or the TBMC on the pay I take home, so I donate whatever I can directly to the charities I mentioned.

silverfish, for charity gigs the bands donate their services free of charge because its a good cause and you do know bands, well at least 2 that i know of...

also i'm sure the venue would/might give you a discount on the renting of the room if it was for a good cause also... and finally its not as expensive to book a venue as you think its just hard to get ppl in to make your cash back or to make a profit, be it for yourself or for a good cause

Name and display these bands!!!

Any bands I asked agreed to play....for a fee.

Venues I made enquiries to quoted fees I just can not afford....I need a fundraiser to hold a fundraiser.......

One venue, when I enquired about reduced rates for a charity gig, laughed and hung up on me. Another one just hung up.

You have to have money to make money, and unless you know people in this town, yer screwed.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i'll p m ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Plans are already afoot for a fundraiser for homlessness in our dirty old town in October in Voodoo. Watch this space

Silverfish I can relate to what your saying, and I did not take your original post to be confrontational but I did see the need to point out that we have had other fundraisers and will continue to do so.
    But what is the point in having a fundraiser for any other cause on September 11th.
    That would be like celebrating Christmas in July.
    Anyway my reply was to say, that anyone ( and usually everyone ) can offer GigSmart advice or idea's and suggestions, which is all good, but Its very unusual for someone to ever offer us a well taught out strategy, its usually you should do this, not I did some research and if we do the following then the outcome will be etc,etc,etc.
    And just to let you know, organizing this gig didn't cost too much I am naturally pesimistic, so usually when I organize a gig I anticipate it to be a total flop, so I have enough mone to cover expenses saved up.
    But usually it works out, so the idea of not having enough money should be the furthest thing in your mind, Don't think of costs think of money raised.
    Find your breakeven point, for this gig, the venue is the only thing costing us money, and that is € 300.00 which includes the DJ set afterwards which is a very discounted rate for the music centre and I got it cheap for reasons that I am not going to go into, but anyway that means that we have to get 50 people in the door to break even.
    What you have to do then is analize the chances that each band will bring a certain amount of people in through the door and if your total attendance is over 50 people, then you have not lost anything.
    Its mainly about putting your money where your mouth is, and having an understanding from the bands, the bands that wouldn't play your gig, are not worth considering, anybody who plays for any other reason other than they love to play their music is not in it for the right reasons and should consider why they picked up a guitar in the first place.

Well anyway I hope that has cleared up some of this and I look forward to meeting everyone tonight.

Regards.

Niall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Correctamundo....

I hope people aren't pissed off with gigsmart at this stage , I know it may appear to be preaching from the pulpit but the facts are that anyone and everyone can contribute to what we do unfortunatley though many people just like to take shots at anyone who makes an effort.....Silverfish , I will personally help you organise a gig for charity if you wish, catch me later in TBMC if you want to talk about it?

everyone else get yer butts in there tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 frank05330

in the words of kurdt, bump*. not that the thread really needs it, but anyhow just wanna say that ill be there with bells on and im really lookin forward to it. till tonight!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

Which of the three Kelsey lads are you frank.....and don't say Frank....:D I was really only talkin' to Mick before !!!
    Peace,
    kranog

http://popstar.2ya.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

i will also be there tonight supporting the good intentions of all. also, it's a good excuse to get p!ssed on a wednesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BEHOLD!

I went to see Blotooth...but was shocked at how good polar are!
    I was dubious....due to the consistant lack of good bands at these gigs...but they were really good.
    and blotooth were class too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 frank05330

Which of the three Kelsey lads are you frank.....

actually im none of them. just a good friend of mick's, and used to design the website till mick ****ed it all up! :D
    i usually turn up at their gigs wearing a kelsey road crew tshirt to avoid paying in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I went to see Blotooth...but was shocked at how good polar are! I was dubious....due to the consistant lack of good bands at these gigs...but they were really good.
    and blotooth were class too!

In order to get a proper decent self renewing live music scene in Dublin (which is what were about) we pick only the most rocktastic bands, freeze them instantly for you to enjoy fresh and rock-ful at our premier gigs. Our website will have mp3's from all our bands playing so you can vette them out for yourself and our posters will have a short verbal description of the type of music being churned out at the gig to suit your pallete.

www.gigsmartireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

what a crazy night. i enjoyed polar's set quite a lot, though drunk was i, and despite otranome's bassist apologising over and over to me that their set was awful, i didn't think it was half bad. didn't see blotooth, what with the drunken confusion and all, but i was well impressed with the gig. plus i ran into damien rice who i think was frightening by my constant yammerings. what a nice dude though.

hey trev, i meant what i said about getting involved with organising stuff... i was drunk but i still meant it! i have some good ideas, we should get talking. you can email me at giant_eye@hotmail.com or just post here.

cheers to the gigsmart crew for a great night, also hey to thomas, great to see you again! its been a few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

who were the band on just before blotooth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

That would have been our good selves, Otranome.

Advertisement