Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie question on installing cd-rw drive

• 06-09-2002 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

i want to install a cd-rw drive along with dvd drive on my pc, but i am having trouble installing more than 1 cddrive

i have the hard drive as the primary master, and i have a dvd as the secondary master

i thought that all i had to do was connect the new cd-rw drive to the secondary ide cable, making it the secondary slave, then change the option in the bios for the secondary slave from none to auto, or cd-rom (i have tried all options)

but after i save and exit from the bios i get a message saying that the secondary slave and master has failed :( and when i boot windows there is no cddrives

i have a a7v333 motherboard, and both cddrives work when installed on their own as the secondary master

please help, or laugh, any comments appreciated
    brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

are you sure you have the master drive at the proper connection on ide cable ?

afaik, master = first connection, slave the 2nd, etc...

or does it make a fiddlers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

did u change the jumper on the back of the cd-rw to slave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

yes, i think i have the connections correct, from the manual, i see the last connection is the master, and the one in the middle of the cable is slave, i have tried both positions anyways :)

tuxx, changing the jumper, i didnt know about that, are drives set default as master? i am about to search google and try that, thanks for help
    brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TBH, set the Primary master as the HD, then set the DVD as the primary secondary.

Then have the CD RW as the Secondary Master, tried and tested, it works for me, bet it'll work for you too.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yes the jumper is normaly set to master as default
    since u are searching google u have probably found this already
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=cache:eYyZA7pEWC0C:www.tvforums.co.uk/tutorials/installcd.html+cdrw+jumper&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    it explains what u have to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

problem solved ! :D

all i had to do was take that little plastic cap off and move one spot to the left on the back of the cd-rw drive, once i done this in the bios when i selected auto it found the cd-dw drive straight away :)

i cant believe it was that easy, i have spent hours trying every possible configuration, i knew skipping that section on jumpers in my motherboard manual would come back to haunt me

thanks alot for your help guys
    brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

You really should have the hard drive and CDR/DVD on separate ide controllers.

Much better performance

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/cdrom

[
    QUOTE]

Benchmarks
    with the 948E show that it takes about seven times

longer to move 104 MBytes of data from a CD-ROM on the Primary IDE interface to a hard disk on the same

interface as it does to transfer the data from a 948E

on the Secondary IDE Interface to a hard disk on the

Primary IDE Interface

[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yous should also make sure DMA is enabled on the Two CD Drives. This will save you a few coasters over the life of the Drives.

Advertisement