Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cork Dangerous?

Options
  • 06-09-2002 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

walking home thru the streets of cork city late at night could be classed as an adventure sport

that would have been me :D

thankfully ive yet to be accosted, well physically anyway. but even if there was a sizeable decrease in crime, i just dont feel safe walking thru those cork streets.

predjudice ? fear ? damn straight !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

a lot of ppl i know are calling it the new stab city but i dont think so i often walk home at night (4a.m, net house)nothin ever happens to me (maybe thats just me ) i always say if u look for trouble ull get it .

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

a bit of common sense and avoiding dodgy alleys etc and ur grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

When I was there... it seemed the same as any other city, go to the wrong places, or look for trouble and you'll get it, and even then cos I didn't know the place, I did end up walkin around some dodgy lookin areas.

As for Limerick being stab city.... my arsé. It's the same story everywhere - wrong place, wrong time. I don't think it's anything to do with the City really... just the scumbag areas that you find in every city.... I don't think there's any exception to that. New York, Dublin, Cork, Paris, Limerick... they're all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

As someone who has an English accent I've had my fair share of grief in and around Cork. I doubt it's specific/unique to Cork though and no-one's stabbed me yet;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

never had any grief either... When you think of the amount of people that go out in Cork every weekend against the number of people that are attacked then the odds are stacked pretty nicely in your favor. You're probably just as likely to win the lotto really (unless youre one of those people that go looking for trouble in all the right places)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I hear a lot of talk about it, but I've never come across it meself thank god. Course, Keane isn't helping our tourism industry by boasting about street fights in his book. I remember his type outide Burgerland, meself and the buddy used to stand across the road and watch them for entertainment. An embarassment to the city the lot of 'em. I wouldn't expect any less of Keane though. He's an embarassment all to himself.

adam

Troll? Me?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Just keep an eye out and you will be ok, the two assaults that happened earlier in the year were both freakish in their intensity and timeframe (one after another), However they both happened in dark alleys which common sense would dictate you stay away from, especially the lane by henrys. Although I do know people who have gone done over by regular knackers in the city, corks biggest problem is it is very poorly policed- except of course for jazz weekend.
    The ironic thing about cork is it is (to me) worse during the day than at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    I don't think it's anything to do with the City really... just the scumbag areas that you find in every city.... I don't think there's any exception to that. New York, Dublin, Cork, Paris, Limerick... they're all the same.

This is not true... bad parts of New York and most other major cities are much more dangerous than anywhere in Cork. Relative to most cities I've been in, Cork is not very dangerous, but the cities I'm comparing it to are mostly bigger than Cork. The only city which has a similar sized population to Cork that I've lived near is New Bedford - a typical American city, and I would dance through Cork singing God Save the Queen with a dress on at 2am sooner than I would walk through New Bedford late at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Killy you beast i'd pay for that !

Having gone to school in Cork city for 6 years i can safely say that it is far more dangerous during the dark hours then it is during the day. In all fairness Cork is about as dangerous as a monkey's scrotum, well compared to any large city.

LASTIRISHMONKEY no one would go near you as you'd scare them off with caps lock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I've never had problems either in Cork at night. But, I work in a hospital and see the after-effects of nights out in Cork every week. There are some bad dudes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I put the increased hassle to the scobies getting tired of sucking down Vitamin E. Anecdotally, the place is gone to the dogs. There's always been thuggery, but it seems worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It all depends where you are really, if you are outside Doyle's on your own at closing time you might be in a little bit of trouble. Around the Maltings is also supposed to be dodgy as well.

Most attacks only occur when people are on there own, just as long as you are with a person Cork isn't too dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by RASKOLNIKOV

Most attacks only occur when people are on there own, just as long as you are with a person Cork isn't too dangerous

No true at all. If you mean most as average maybe, but its not most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by yellum

If you mean most as average maybe, but its not most.

Umm right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 corkchick

just dont skip d queue in hillbillys. ive seen a few fights over stupid stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

SNAKBOX !?!?!?

NO BREST IN A BUN

SNAKBOX !?!?!?

NO BREST IN A BUN

SNAKBOX ?!?!?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

BREAST IN A BUN FS, I'LL LAMP YE

I'LL LAMP YE

roffle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭m0o|Dino

a/s/l chick ?

• Advertisement

a/s/l chick ?

dont be "asl"ing my woman dino :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Middling/YEA/here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I'm a complete muppet

age/sex/location daveirl ?

ooo dino your a true "rebel"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 corkchick

you must be a very lonley guy to a/s/l me on boards

m0o|Dino, there's a golden rule here on Boards.ie: You don't flame the mod. Ever.

You've been warned by daveirl once, now I'm warning you too. People don't get to three on my boards.

adam

Your wish is my command m0o|Dino, consider yourself banned for a week.

Wahs aren't welcome here.

adam

• Advertisement

roffle !! teh funneh

Advertisement