Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT and Nevadatele Discussing 24hr Flat-Rate

Options
  • 06-09-2002 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

TELCOS Esat BT and Nevadatele are both in negotiations with Eircom to agree a wholesale/ interconnect rate that would lead to Ireland's first flat rate 24-hour internet service in two years, the Irish Independent has learned.

Less then a day after UTV's offer. The ball is rolling folks.....

Full article can be found here .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

somebody up there really likes us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

de balls got a long way to roll yet

:)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

think i heard aboot that on the radio.

not all of us are unison customers kamobe, that link requires registration of some sort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's free registration, and not for Unison, just for the site. Also, as usual, the Independent gets it utterly wrong: Ireland has never had a full-on flat-rate Internet access product. Surf NoLimits is and was an off-peak product. Some researchers.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

be under no illusions Eircom will fight this tooth and nail, its not something they will give willingly ...

Unless of course they get a visit for the fairy of business forsight and comon sense, but given their history to date, that fairy doesn't visit them much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Unless of course they get a visit for the fairy of business forsight and comon sense, but given their history to date, that fairy doesn't visit them much.

Or unless of course the Regulator stomps on them from a height and: a) sets a deadline for completion of negotiations; and/or b) a target wholesale figure. Course, there's more chance of a visit from a fairy...

adam

Regulator can only intervene when the 'negiotiations have broken down', of course none of the telcos don't really seem to bother telling her when negiotiations break down, so I don't believe the blame is entirely hers.

Would she have powers to set the wholesale rate in that event ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Competition rules!!! Go Capitalism!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Note!

<reality check>
    in two years

is what the article said and not

within two years.

</reality check>

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

in two years

I wouldn't worry about that!!! After all it is the Independent who wrote the story. The actual requests have been in since around the 3rd of July this year.

Initially a joint request by both operators was put in to Eircom, but they insisted that negotiations continue in a one on one basis, which is what is currently on-going.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Originally posted by Muck
    Note!

<reality check>

in two years

is what the article said and not

within two years.

</reality check>

M
    Read the line in context...
    that would lead to Ireland's first flat rate 24-hour internet service in two years
    They mean since no limits... they dont mean a timeline of two years down the road.

When was the last
    24 hour

service you referred to Cond0r. No Limits was/is Off Peak and Weekend only.

We E-Tubbies ®™© have never had a 24 hour flat rate service and may do in 2 years only if we are very lucky.

Roll on christmas 2004 .....yeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaawwwwwww

M

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nice timing by the impartial Indo eh.

We've known about these negotiations for 2 Months and now they decide to run a story the day after the most competitive advance in ages on this island in Internet access has been unveiled.

Forgive me but I smell a Rat :)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I witnessed the journalist behind the piece yesterday at the UTV launch press launch in action.

He showed his lack of a grasp on the situation by asking the UTV people about the "competitors also from the North", who they were aware of readying a FRIACO type product. He seemed completely oblivious to the fact that such a deal would in fact greatly aid UTV.

Needless to say he got back to scrawling a large M in doodles on his paper afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

I will be getting the utv deal and once this comes out, go straight for it! Although there might just be better ones coming out soon!

Given the moronic insipid twaddle that is passed off as journalism in the Irish Independent I have a suggestion for a special Boards background program ....like the one that turns f*ck into f**k like...

It auto-deletes every single post that uses an oxymoron

Heres three to test the s/w

Virtually Spotless
    Independent Journalist
    Independent Journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

"TELCOS Esat BT and Nevadatele are both in negotiations with Eircom to agree a wholesale/ interconnect rate that would lead to Ireland's first flat rate 24-hour internet service in two years, the Irish Independent has learned."

Of the two possible interpretations of this, I believe the journo is referring (inaccurately) to nolimits even though a) the service was terminated less than two years ago and b) it was not a 24-hour service.

The alternative interpretation suggests that either they believe the companies will be two years negotiating with Eircom for FRIACO or else it will take two years to set up the service. No company would spend two years in negotations with Eircom - it would be impossible to predict anyway and it certainly would not take two years to set up a flat-rate service based on FRIACO once the deal is done.

No company would spend two years in negotations with Eircom

It would depend how good their coffee was ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by MDR

Or whether the donuts are plain or have chocolate sprinkles on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by MDR

Or they're into masochism and kinky torture setups :D

Which, to be honest, you'd have to be to endure 2 years talking to a mouse in a pair of y-fronts and a cape asking for ridiculous sums of money

Which, to be honest, you'd have to be to endure 2 years talking to a mouse in a pair of y-fronts and a cape asking for ridiculous sums of money

You still having issues differentiating betwen TV and real life I see Lemming. If you see the mouse again, just close your eyes and keep repeating the mantra ...

The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,

and when you open your eyes again, the evil mouse will be gone and Ireland will have a incumbent telco with foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by MDR

You still having issues differentiating betwen TV and real life I see Lemming. If you see the mouse again, just close your eyes and keep repeating the mantra ...

The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,
    The mouse is not real,

and when you open your eyes again, the evil mouse will be gone and Ireland will have a incumbent telco with foresight.

I have one word for you "LOL"

Very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Originally posted by Muck
    When was the last

service you referred to Cond0r. No Limits was/is Off Peak and Weekend only.

We E-Tubbies ®™© have never had a 24 hour flat rate service and may do in 2 years only if we are very lucky.

Roll on christmas 2004 .....yeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaawwwwwww

M
    What I meant was that the Journalist was referring to NoLimits as a 24hr flat rate product, which obviously it wasn't.
    SkepticOne explained it very well:
    "TELCOS Esat BT and Nevadatele are both in negotiations with Eircom to agree a wholesale/ interconnect rate that would lead to Ireland's first flat rate 24-hour internet service in two years, the Irish Independent has learned."

Of the two possible interpretations of this, I believe the journo is referring (inaccurately) to nolimits even though a) the service was terminated less than two years ago and b) it was not a 24-hour service.

The alternative interpretation suggests that either they believe the companies will be two years negotiating with Eircom for FRIACO or else it will take two years to set up the service. No company would spend two years in negotations with Eircom - it would be impossible to predict anyway and it certainly would not take two years to set up a flat-rate service based on FRIACO once the deal is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

/me rocks back and forth crouched uop in a foetal position smiling happily into space :D

....while i calibrate me handbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by PPC
    I have one word for you "LOL"

well technically thats 3 words :D

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

TWO YEARS HENCE ??????????????

Get a grip - ISDN was designed in the 1970s and EirCobblers provided affordable general availibility to us the great unwash with its "High Speed" monikered launch in 2000.

There is a project in train to provide Broadband to the South Pole See Here Quote: "It is planned to be in use in 2009"

I'd say it will be a race to the line between themselves and the EirClowns.

Or maybe we shoudl consider planning a move south ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

We've known about these negotiations for 2 Months and now they decide to run a story the day after the most competitive advance in ages on this island in Internet access has been unveiled.

Forgive me but I smell a Rat :)

Dont you mean A MOUSE!? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lets be honest here Bone Eircom have even been untruthful about their mascot its a RAT :p (should I complain to the ASAI about that as well!!)

Gandalf.

Advertisement