Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online gaming - any good gameing servers out there\sick of crap ping rates

Options
  • 06-09-2002 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi there,

I think that we will all agree that all online gamers are at the mercy of the irish telecoms and their overpiced and under speced services. A mate of mine in Germany has a DSL for E20 flat rate for the last two years... anyhow, enough of the whining....

Using game spy (which I am not exacly exstatic about - but choosers can be beggards) and with a budled ISDN connection (128k) the best I can get is 200 to 150... and quite frankly I spend my eveninings getting my ass kicked... by other on-line gamers that is... by the 80-100 pingers.

Outside of me optimising system, changing ISP (currently IOL), etc.... can anyone give me a good place to look\find\play on Fast\Irish\Local(Cork) game servers (MOHAA & RTCW).... even if the ping rate doesn't get much better it will at least be qually crap for all ;-))

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Try use Oceanfree.

Should drop the ping a good bit but you can only use 64k isdn.

Also depends on your modem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

why bother pay 2.5c/min for what you say is a bad ping?

emigrate

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

thanks for the prompt reply...

the problem is that IOL and Oceanfree are one and the same (which indeed run at 64k)... if you are saying that this may improve matters then maybe it the OS that needs to be optimised on my side (running WindowsXP)?

I know that ESat runs on 128k ... I am currently trying to get a test connection just to see if this improves matters.... if I get more info on this trial, I'll post the details...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Duke try and use the jolt/barrysworld public servers in the UK.I use them all the time and pinging 190-250 on a 56k external modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Gamire have an RTCW server try that.

kdja

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TheDuke
    the problem is that IOL and Oceanfree are one and the same (which indeed run at 64k)

Yes they are but not the same servers.

I get a ping of 150 with IOL Gold but i get a ping of 60 with Oceanfree

PPC... thanks a mill, now I am finding it quite difficult to digest that one... why would IOL and Ocenfree not use the same backbone????

take your word for it and will give it a shot....

why is it though that the IOL\ESat\etc people do not know their own technology\toplogy\bandwiths... that's what really gets me.... :mad: .... charge a fortune and don't know anything about the service they offer... they asume that once you get your emails all is fine.... here comes the whining again, and I said I'd stop...

just a quick note to say (before I get a barage of abuse from telecom empoyees) that I am sure that there are allot of great guys and ladies out there that really know their stuff... only that I have never had the luck to talk to any of them... indeed if any of them read my whining I (and I am sure all the other gamers) would appreciate all the advice we can get....

Thanks in advance,

The Duke

Aye its weird.

I get a 6k/sec max download on IOL and i get near a 10K/sec on Ocean sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I get about 50 ping to all uk servers, some french, 80 to germany.

ISDN 64k, bundling doesn't make a difference to ping (tho I can use it, just too pricey).

Max download u can get on 64k isdn is 8k/sec, it might say 10k/sec for a few seconds at the start of a download, but thats it(it's not reading the k/sec right). Unless u've bundled the lines, in which case 10k/sec is actually quite poor.

• Advertisement

astrofool >>> re the ping rate between 64 and 128 making no difference, that is what I thought too... now the fact that you are telling me I can get 80 on average must mean that a) I need to tweak WindowsXP and/or b) I need to change the ISP (or as per CCP) just the dial in number\server.

I agree that bundling is very expencive but in my naivitiy I thought this would give me an edge... untill I realised IOL only operate at 64k

what is your ISP?

Originally posted by astrofool
    Max download u can get on 64k isdn is 8k/sec, it might say 10k/sec for a few seconds at the start of a download, but thats it(it's not reading the k/sec right). Unless u've bundled the lines, in which case 10k/sec is actually quite poor.

Software compression.
    Ocean seem to have a good software compression rate.

And it stayed at 10k/sec for a good few minutes aswell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

What servers are you connecting to ?

plus you're wasting both your time and money bundling the lines for game play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I get 40-70 adv to Barry's and Jolt servers on 64k Isdn with Eircom.

Also try using the All Seeing Eye instead of Gamespy as Gamespy just sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

oceanfree is the best isp for ppl outside dublin
    even though they are owned by esat i think they have seperate networks
    my ping on oceanfree is 60
    its 150 with iol
    u should get a low ping with oceanfree unless u are using the crap over priced usb modem that errorcom try to flog ppl with isdn
    use a good internal isdn ta for best results

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The gamire servers should give nearly everyone in Ireland a good ping. The servers are still in test, until after the site launches on 17th September.

Hi guys, just to say thanks for all the super support and advice. Yesterday evening was the first time I could try it out.

Dialled in Oceanfree (thanks PPS) and used the "All Seeing Eye" to find game servers (thanks Venom) and there it was MOHAA servers at 50 ping rate on a 64k line - then did some RTCW at 80....... and kicked ass like in the good old days, well.... actually I got my ass kicked too... but for the first time as equals :)

Also, I spoke to a lady from Oceanfree who knew here stuff... just for the record...

Thanks again for all the great support......

The Duke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Yeah nice one BJJ, I'm sure he'll get the bus/train/drive up to Dublin every night just so he can play a few games on a decent ping :p

Advertisement