Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Check on Rambus ram?

• 06-09-2002 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how much 256mb of Rambus tends to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

£85.54 here i would say you would get it cheaper but i dont know where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Perhaps you could look on some hardware retailers sites. You might even find them linked in the sticky thread if you look.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

£79 sterling including VAT at aria.

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Submit=Search&Category=27

Do remember that you have to mount RAMBUS in pairs........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Cheers lad's.

Aye I know they have to be mounted in pairs so its 2x128mb im after.

LB most of the sticky link sites dont carry any rambus just the normal stuff.

Thats because RAMBUS is effectively dead. A lot of the price was licence related- whereas the other memory types did not have the same royalties to pay.
    It was thought that the performance increase Rambus would add to Pentium 4 systems would justify the stupid prices then being charged. It didn't, people bought the Pentium 4 systems in very limited numbers, preferring to purchase the much cheaper Pentium 3 systems, Intel relented and created a Pentium 4 chipset that supported first SDRAM, and then DDR RAM (the defacto standard today- most new systems being equipped with PC333 DDR memory).
    If you want to be pedantic- Intel only released chipsets for SDR and DDR because SIS and other companies beat them to the market with supported chipsets.
    P4 socket 423 only supports RAMBUS memory- Socket 478 supports Rambus, SDR/DDR memory etc. (This is the CPU type, not the chipset).
    Just to muddy the waters even more, AMD, Intels only effective market place competitor, was also at the time whipping Pentium 4s with dull Athlons and even Duron, that really should not have been up to it. They only cost half the price..... Proper little mess....

The performance increase inherrent in a Rambus system, while of great benefit to gamers, graphics designers and those with very memory intensive applications, means very little to the average person on the street who is doing nothing more than running the odd screen of Word along with Internet Explorer.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

You can also get socket 478 RAMBUS boards.

I have one, like. Very very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Shane, please don't post ****e.

pc1066 rambus is faster than even the fastest ddr. Its up to the individual user whether the price justifies the performance increase, but there is a fairly big gap between ddr266 and even pc800 rdram, for memory intensive applications. Rambus prices have fallen also, not as bad as they once were.

from komplett.ie

256mb crucial ddr - €128
    256mb pc800 rambus - €150
    256mb pc1066 rambus - €200

All approximate prices. FYI, one of the main reasons that ddr is so expensive now is because intel have validated it, creating guaranteed demand.

It so happens that there aren't any sdr or ddr boards for the socket 423 chips, however it is incorrect to say there are no rambus boards for the socket 478 chips ( correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to be saying that these chips are somehow limited to sdr/ddr only? ) There are plenty of boards supporting rambus for socket 478 chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keithwhir

try www.shop4memory.com there irish with free delivery.

Have editted my previous post.
    I wrote it in a hurry- it could have been put together a bit better.
    The info is broadly right though.....
    Cheers Gerry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i bought 256mb of Samsung RDRAM from shop4memory. they rang back to go thru the oder with me and make sure i was ok to install it and what have you.

then got email from them confirming the oder, confirming the product had been shipped, and a final email with a link to the sds tracking system.

was in my pc the next day for some gaming goodness :)

first impression of shop4memory ? cant fault them

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smccarrick
    Have editted my previous post.
    I wrote it in a hurry- it could have been put together a bit better.
    The info is broadly right though.....
    Cheers Gerry!

Broadly right, but some of it was completely wrong.
    In your edited post, you say that rambus is not of interest to the person running ms word or internet explorer. This is true, but in this case, they won't notice if they are running on a pentium 2 machine, and they should save money and buy that. Buying a fast machine and strangling it with slow memory is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

whatever you might say about rambus now, even intel have effectively abandoned it. that doesn't mean it's not good, or even matters (the ddr u buy today is gonna be just as obselete soon enough). pc1066 is the best performance available when used in dual p4 boards. Granite bay (dual ddr) will probably be able to walk all over it, more bandwidth, lots lower latency = good performance.

best performance atm is rambus, fanboy's however might try and steer clear of it.

DDR-II should be the interesting one, I saw articles saying how nv30 will use it and have twice the bandwidth of regular ddr because of using it, whether thats true or how they accomplish it I dunno, will be interesting to see tho :)

if rambus was the memory of the future however it would have been being used on graphics cards for over a year now.

Rambus is not the memory of the future, but I don't see anyone trying to claim that it is astrofool. The only point is that right now granite bay is not here, and in its absence pc1066 rambus is the fastest solution. For overclockers, you can push rambus to pc1200, which is incredibly fast.

I'm wondering what sort of ddr the granite bay will support, up to now the rumours have said pc266, but hopefully it will run pc333 ddr without much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i'd say it will be dual pc266 cause that gives 4.2 gb/s which is the max the p4 can use anyway, allows it to run in sync as well, all on a 133 bus. validation time will be lower for pc266 esp when you consider the traces needed for it.

I think I said that right now rambus is the fastest btw :)

only if the bus is raised at the same time will pc1200 make a difference.

Yeah, keeping the bus in sync is much faster, amd have proven with the asynchronous 133/166 fsb/memory speed that there isn't much good in that. DDR333 would only be good if they ran the bus at 166, they won't do that. PC1066 rambus normally runs with a 533mhz fsb, It isn't possible to run the ram at 1066 and the board at 400, though it is possible to run the board at 533 and the ram at 800.

Advertisement