Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Games new site and UTVi Flat rate service

Options
  • 06-09-2002 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

DNA Games, Ireland's largest group of game servers, has launched their new web site. DNA Games uses the UTV Internet network.

The new site's features include:

Syndicated newsfeeds from the world's largest gaming sites, including Blues News, GameSpy and 3dGamers updated hourly. Coverage of console gaming news from around the world.

12 dedicated game servers running over 20 multiplayer games including Half-Life, CounterStrike, TFC, Soldat, Unreal Tournament, Buzzybots and TetriNET.
    Priority access is given to all UTV Internet customers including reserved slots and access to passworded servers. Also all UTV Internet customers get optimised routing to all game servers from *anywhere* in Ireland.

Multiplayer Trivia and webgames section including the best web games from across the world.

Free web hosting for Irish and UK based clans including web space, forums, news systems and web portals.

For futher details either email me or post to our forum.

(post edited..more games pitch, less sales pitch)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Nice site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

good work UTVi on the new product & game servers + site. Maybe it would be nice to take out a banner ad (top right) with boards.ie to help support their continued existance... as this thread in particular seems a bit advertising-my-product. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Any chance of a RTCW server going up any time soon? I think gameire has one but it is a few releases behind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Styx

Originally posted by LoBo
    as this thread in particular seems a bit advertising-my-product. :)
    Yea, it's blatent jumping on the flat rate bandwagon by me to advertise the new web site :D perhaps I should tone down the sale pitch a bit..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ahh

/me remembers Styx's "Hey Player, You gonna change your name, yeh?" bind on the old DNAGames TFC servers :)

At least i think it was you, it was somebody from DNA anyway.

Pinging 380 to the DNAGames servers as opposed to 160 to Games1 on Eircom 56k dialup - Getting routed all over the place :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yes i get very high pings on dnagames server also :(
    i have isdn
    ping to dnagames in cs
    130 using oceanfree
    130 usign utv internet

ping to esat cs servers
    60 using oceanfree
    130 using utv internet

:(

Originally posted by kaids
    /me remembers Styx's "Hey Player, You gonna change your name, yeh?" bind on the old DNAGames TFC servers :)

Pinging 380 to the DNAGames servers as opposed to 160 to Games1 on Eircom 56k dialup - Getting routed all over the place :(
    yup, that was me :p The routing can be poor sometimes, with a direct dial up I've had pings of <120 to our game servers....there's a uper fast pipe for al trafic between Dublin and Belfast (where the servers are located)

ok im now getting a 80 ping on the server with oceanfree and 110 with utvi
    Styx do u have any idea why my ping would be lower with oceanfree if the servers are on the same backbone as utv ?
    i did a trace route and the problem seems to be with the first hop
    the first hop using utvi is 80 with oceanfree its 40

Originally posted by tuxx
    ...the problem seems to be with the first hop
    the first hop using utvi is 80 with oceanfree its 40
    Can you mail me the tracerts and I'll have a look what could causing that.

well its just as easy to post it here
    http://www.boards.ie/members/tuxx/tracert.txt
    thanks for having a look at it for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Styx
    Yea, it's blatent jumping on the flat rate bandwagon by me to advertise the new web site :D perhaps I should tone down the sale pitch a bit..

Just get Scott to throw a few quid DeVore's way for banner ads (seriously). With the amount of support and customers you'll get via boards (for the new service), you know it would make commercial sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Styx
    Also all UTV Internet customers get optimised routing to all game servers from *anywhere* in Ireland.

Well you get some of the worst routing in Ireland from every other ISP. But it's not UTV Internet's fault, it's Nevada Telecom their network provider. What UTVi should do is give Nevada a call and get them to sort it out.

This was discussesed in the Ireland Offline thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63228&perpage=20&pagenumber=6

Hi, The Cigarette Smoking Man

To clarify: if any UTVi customers connect to the Dublin POP then make a network request for any of the game servers based in Belfast they get routed straight to Belfast using a direct connection that Nevada has, rather than going via the internet from Dublin to Nevada UK then back in again to Belfast. This *should* mean lower ping times/less hops, but I've passed tuxx's tracert to the network team for comments/investigation.

Unfortunately I can't get into official discussions about routing etc, I have to leave that to the Management team :) , so I'm just posting this as admin of the gaming service using UTVi network.

Chuck

Originally posted by sceptre

Just get Scott to throw a few quid DeVore's way for banner ads (seriously). With the amount of support and customers you'll get via boards (for the new service), you know it would make commercial sense
    /me looks at banners
    Looks like Scott did and all :)

Chuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Charles <aka> Chuck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

An Operation Flashpoint Server would be sweeet :)

we've got one hi-spec machine ready to host a new game, but I've also got folks hounding me for a UT2k3, Battle Field 1942 and elite force may just try each game for a week each see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

UT2k3

nuff said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'm on utv 30 euro thingy and seem to ping best on dna servers

• Advertisement

Yup, that's the way it should be. There's a fast pipe directly from the Dublin POP to our game servers in Belfast, which should mean latency is much less than other servers on the 'net.

Advertisement