Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless network cable?

Options
  • 06-09-2002 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I connect to work using a dual factor authentication mechanism, using a CISCO 760 series router and some really crap agent software on a laptop. I would like to be able to move the laptop around the house, but apart from getting a cable 100m long, there's no real option for me - besides, the wife and kids would keep tripping over it!

In summary, I am stuck with the "CONNECTIVITY" piece. Given this restriction, is there any wireless product out there that could help me? I don't need a router or any such capability. I simply want to replace my network cable with a wireless connection powerful enough to get anywhere in a standard 3 bedroom semi.

Sorry if this is a noddy question!

Thanks,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

What you are looing for is called 802.11b
    wireless lan. It's fairly common now.

have a look at the wireless board and search through it. you'll find a fair few posts on it.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Is the router plugged into a Desktop, or just your Laptop?

If the former, you could get a D-Link DWL 520 PCI Card for the desktop, and a Orinoco Silver PCMCIA Card for your Laptop.

If the latter, you'll need to check if you can put a wireless card into the router. If you can't, maybe you could get a SMC/Buffalo USB Wireless adapter, and get a USB -> Ethernet converter , and plug that into your router. That sounds unlikely though. Or you could just buy a Wireless Router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

Router is connected to the laptop by network cable.

I can't really replace the router or fiddle with it in any way.

What I want is a transmitter to xmit my network signal.

I looked in the wireless board and there are lots of good tipoffs for 802.11b (thanks verb), which seems to be what I need.

Thanks.
    Mark.

Advertisement