Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medieval: Total War

• 06-09-2002 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

just curious what y'all thought of it...

methinks its the best strategy game ever, if a little overwhelming at times.

as the danes I control western europe but I've just met an eygptian army of 12,000 heading my way and though I successfully defended a skirmish in bulgaria (they sent a mere 2300 against my 800 crack troops), and though I've army enough to beat them, it's scattered acoss europe, from poland to toulouse...

of course, I started the war...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Only played a demo of this so far but already it seems to be a big improvement over shogun(not that that was bad or anything) the new siege element is fairly nice and the larger array of units makes for a bit more variety and options in battles instead of just peppering um with archers then charging with a few Yari Cavalry. Looks fairly impressive and the multiplayer should be fun. Ill definately be picking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

Its darn good
    Im playin as the french, destroyed the english and aragonese and now the almohads might be my next target.
    I still havent invaded ireland. But i better so i can build gallowglass.

An anoying thing is rebels usually have knights or men at arms.
    Even though my king and most of his cronies are diehard inbred perverts i hope make some lolly as im constantly in debt.
    I wish there was multiplayer strategy map.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

haven't played it yet but it looks like a massive improvement over shogun i.e. there is more to the game other than just the battles. It think I'll pop out tomorrow and buy it for dnc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

it's improved in every way on shogun, which was in itself a fine game...

I have to get 2/3's of the world and I have 48 of 100 at a rough count, if I take out Novogorod and Eygpt, I may just tip the scales...

The almohads always seem to have amazing generals, currenly theres three 8 star generals loitering around aragon with about 2000 men between them...I'm leaving well enough alone.

the danes Viking is savage, very effective early on and can be built with just a fort like peasants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

a friend of mine bought it the other day not for the really fun and amazingly huge battles but for the boring 2d map of europe conquering bit.
    he says the battles are too long and boring, i think theyre amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Europa Universalis 1/2 own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I was given a copy yesterday, just installing it now. Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Originally posted by nesthead
    a friend of mine bought it the other day not for the really fun and amazingly huge battles but for the boring 2d map of europe conquering bit.
    he says the battles are too long and boring, i think theyre amazing!

i prefer the 2d bit as well, but the battles are great as well...

I've turned down the option to accept partial victory when I claimed 60% of the world, just italy (at least rome and naples), spain (incl. Aragon) and northafrica left before total conquest...I've also repelled the mongol hoard and the egptian Jihad...brilliant

just as well my pervert king has 8 sons and 2 daughters, i don't quite get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Just wondering if you guys can play this game in 1024x768 mode, and if so, what graphics card and machine spec you have. I want to get a new card just for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

I played it on a G-force 4 mx, with 256 ram and it as fine. Its gotten a lot better with more ram and a better graphics card, but on lower res it wont do to much damage.

I have made a few LOTR inspired maps if anyone wants them mailed i dont think there 2 big.. they need a bit more work especially Helms Deep..

I found the best thing about Mtotal War was the AI. Both in game and in the strategy map, i remember taking over France And Germany in just a few turns and then all at once Italy The Papal states and the Danes invaded me in the one turn for being to aggressive or someting... class. The game gets really hard when you need huge armies to advance through northern africa and the almohads keep on re-emerging with massive armies in about 5 provinces.. money starts to drain cos you need lots of troops everywhere to keep the peasants in line (especially Scotland)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I have the orginal Shogun, but pretty impressed with the new version , isit there an expansion pack for Medievil ? some like the Viking invasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Yes there is, and it's worth getting because it's basically Medieval Total War with just Ireland, Britain and Denmark. Some excellent new stuff in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

This game was great. Try playing as the russians, and fight the golden horde. That is one hell of a battle. They attack around 1230 with about 30,000 men. Its a huge battle, and if you win it you get about 50,000 gold (or flavins isit?). Make sure you have many halberters to counter the horsemen. At the moment my russian empire is everywhere except france spain and britain.

Advertisement