Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spamming....What are we actually gonna [b]Do[/b] About it?

Options
  • 06-09-2002 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭

Right,we've had one post with plenty of bitching and no actual suggestions really. So here we are. what the fúck are we actually gonna do about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Notto puttoo fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet; make a little birdhouse in your soul.

Sorry, that was just plain annoying, wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Doing? That's the thing which involves energy, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 so not blonde

i'm not sure whose discussing it but spam is so god damned annoying. i mean do any of u have a hotmail account. they say get a junk mail filter but i mean once u activate it u get more junk. its so annoying.i'm no computer genius but there must b some way of stopping it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Um... we *could* close this board and ban everyone <with the exception of those that get a vote in admin> here!

Would stop the spamming. But I kinda like a spammyish board <i mean if you look at the FIRST THREADS you'll get the idea of what this was set up for (and see just how ickle adam was back then)>. Just that this isn't just spam. It's spam and trolling and... <shudder> muppetry.

So c'mon... look over your posts people. If it's just bs then don't post it (unless you're SURE it's funny).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Not So Blond: this was referring to spam on this board rather than email spam :)

Sven, no offence, but i have to listen to you bitch bout spam on this board half the time, so....em....shuttup :D

People are not gonna look over their posts. i mean, even the "You're all such f*cking spammers!!" thread degenerated into a one-line conversation.

I have no problem with spammy threads if they're worth fecking while, but looking over the past few threads there's been feck all of interest. Humour! Bring back the Humour!!

Is their any way we could set a limit on the number of new threads per week or so, so that maybe people would think more about what they're bout to post up and not just post up **** like the "image" thread? I mean, at least that way we could get some decent conversation going here. I mean, the olden days had humour and seriousness. there were once off topics like Cormacs multiple "I need a ****-bunny" threads to my large argument with Sven which became a huge thread on here concerning whether all guys were inherently assholes. These at least were (a)Humourous,(b)really good conversation topics or (c)Both, as the latter of the two became near the end.

Sven, you know as well as i do that suggesting that everyone looks over their posts will not fecking work, for the simple reason that people dont think when posting some stuff. it just springs into your head and you post it. i know i've done it a fair few times, as have a lot of people her, as have you.

</Rant>

-Neil

• Advertisement

Neil, I could point out how ridiculous your ideas are and mention that the whole reason we're getting so much bs here is cause all of the lovely people on this board are a bunch of muppets <note that i only visit about half of the topics here... if even>. But I won't. Well I wouldn't have if your tone hadn't pissed me off. Why? Cause that's called trolling and that's not what i be.

So smiles and love to everyone.

And, just wondering, but what is the problem with people flirting here?

I just don't really see that as spam or muppetry but two people having a laugh.

Sven, sorry if my opinions pissed you off, but they're just my opinions. The problem that i see with people flirting on this board is not them flirting, rather when it takes up the better part of a page or two when you're trying to read something other than the same thing over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

Originally posted by lordsippa
    And, just wondering, but what is the problem with people flirting here?

I just don't really see that as spam or muppetry but two people having a laugh.

but its going to be inflicted on more than two people.
    and... i dunno, i just cant see computer talk, emails, msn whatever, as real interaction at all. maybe you need to be able to type fast.

this board is basically just people whining and waffling. not saying its a bad thing, its just something you have to accept, or ignore, or waste lots of energy stressing about. i used to be like you, gentle sven. but nastier. and it doesnt work.

Ah my dear Kate. I am not being like you. So worry not. We have no similarities beyond vaguely similar hair <long and blonde> and pleasantly large breasts. ;p

But yeah.. no. I was only getting worked up by Neil. Who was missing my point. Entirely. Cause of course people will post without thinking most of the time but hopefully they might just be able to stop themselves starting a thread about their lunch... That stuff was grand when there were about 5 people on this board but now it just gets REAL confusing...

erm... so modding? And on that note Fio... haven't seen her online in a few days, but i think she's busy with the going to galway thing and what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I really don't have a problem with spam, y'know you don't have to read it, you can scroll right down past it.
    But if people are bothered by it, and clearly they are, then you can either find a hard ass moderator or kick out persistent spammers.
    On a little aside the post count is a real incentive to spam, I've been hear a month and a half but my count is still really low because i only post when i actually give a damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Right then, ye olde spam! It's a wee bit of a problem and I amn't going to lie and pretend I haven't been a part of it. And any "but I'm not as bad as <person>" arguments will result in an ass reaming because that just doesn't fly. Whether you spam once or in every single thread, you contribute to the problem. There are several remedies to this but I highly doubt that spam can be 100% eradicated.

One such solution is not just heavy modding, but nazi facist dictator modding. Anything that even sniffs of spam is removed, eventually, users realise there is just no point posting it in the first place.

An extension of this system is temporarily banning anyone who spams. Say one day or three days ban from the board for the first offence and a multiple of that for the second. No more than a one week ban per spam is really justifiable though.

Another extension to this could be some sort of three strikes rule whereby a certain amount of spam results in a ban from the board permanently.

Regarding the postcount is an incentive for spamming issue, there are two remedies to this... firstly, remove the display of postcounts from the boards. This is more of an Admin-type thread but how and ever, removing postcounts from threads would be excellent however you could leave them in profiles. Secondly, lowering a postcount when the user spams. For example, user posts spam... mod clicks a button that deletes the post because it's spam (as opposed to normal deletion for whatever reason) and the users postcount is decreased by two, or five, or whatever.

Slán,
    Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Hmm....we could start some kind of Forum Renewal Project.

Ironic, comine from the guy who is pretty much the source of all the spam.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

haven't read all the posts here yet so i might be reiterating,but one might suggest not posting a new thread everytime a thought enters your head.
    "hey,look at me,i can buy things"
    "so what should i buy?"
    "hey look at me,i bought this"
    "who wants to buy the same thing i bought?"
    ok,slight exaggeration,but it seems like that these days.and it's a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

How about we *stop* posting: "oh dear, i'm bored, entertain me" threads, and start posting about interesting things that people can actually discuss and talk about? :)

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

Originally posted by foobar
    People are not gonna look over their posts. i mean, even the "You're all such f*cking spammers!!" thread degenerated into a one-line conversation.
    [/B]

yeah but at least it was a funny one-line conversation. ;) i have no problem with amusing spam, what pisses me off is when people start new threads just to spout crap about whatever because they're bored. i mean fair enough, you're bored, but at least start a thread that's gonna go somewhere. arg and so forth. having said that, i have absolutely no ideas on how to put a stop to it. and i don't really care. i kinda think people will ease off the spamming after they've read all the bitching that we've done about it anyway.
    sHep :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

How about we let away moderate (i.e. funny) spamming, but if a mod finds a total bs post then everything that could possibly be called spam (including the funny stuff) posted by that person is instantly deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I read these boards nearly everyday - i've een busy... but i wouldnt moderate an entire thread because it's descended into waffle.

As an experiment i'll lock any threads that are getting spammy and soon you'll love the way it used to be!

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

All your spam are belong to us!!

(Postcount +1)

tbh :P :o

Neoslicers: slightly over teh sig limits, tsk tsk :)

Fio, we kinda need somewhere between the two levels. i mean atm its fecking ridiculous, but we don't want a Fascist Dictatorship (like Adam :D )

• Advertisement

you are on the path to muppetry.
    make your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

C'mon, Adam was good. Kinda strange I'm saying that, but he kept the rap to a minimum.

yeah... i kinda miss adam being here. I mean... even just as an occasional poster.

And neil, he wasn't a dictator he just occasionally got sick of having to be the shame of the boards mods <well... more in charge of the shame of boards ;p... excluding bubbles>.

but yeah... fio you're being awfully nice right now. but yeah... getting hard on everyone's a ain't the answer... i think more it's just a case of warnings in some threads about getting back on topic. And possibly deleting some of the REALLY thick ones early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

i agree. and with that, i'm going to go to bed. :D
    sHep :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

adam wasn't a dictator.i miss the good ol' adam-days,when crap was kept to a minimum....

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

as an impressionable youth who's been...impressed, i pledge to post as little spam as is humanly possible. see, most of what i say is complete and utter bs so i can't pledge eradication.

ooh, and one more thing
    yes garog, that was me trying out my kickboxing skills on that dude, i believe his name was tony. and i told ya to shut up cos i thought you'd make a dirty dirty joke about me saying that i was lying on my back staring at the ceiling/sky.
    i had to put that there cos the other thread was bloody closed, and that was a point-enriched conversation.

For the record the "Dictator" comment was not meant seriously, just remembering all the times we jokingly accused him of being one :)

<sigh>
    I remember when *I* first called adam a dictator... way back when we all got annoyed at him closing down the Cats vs. Dogs debate...

</sigh>

Advertisement