Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclock a 2000+ xp

Options
  • 07-09-2002 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

is it difficult to overclock a 2000+ xp,what kind of speed increase should i be expecting??i am using a volcano 7 and a asus a7v333 raid mobo and do u have any good link for think kind of stuff??

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

go into bios, find where the cpu menu is located, set to user defined and up the fsb. Not by much now, start at 140mhz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Go to amdmb and read the posts and FAQ's there. It's not too hard but you'll need to unlock ur processor after that it's a matter of feeding the CPU (Memory prob too) with lots of voltage and giving it plenty of cooling (you want max perf - u splash out the E's on water cooling). Not particularly worth your time IMHO - not unless you don't have anything better to be doin :p AMD's a buggers to keep cool :s

Dizz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

i just want to do it for the learning experience i probely wont leave it overclocked

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

www.tomshardware.com have an overclocking section.
    Just why would you want to OC an XP 2000 though?
    Wait until the .13 micron chips come out (this autumn), will make life a lot easier.

BTW- easiest way to OC the 2000 XP without worrying about multiplier lock etc- is jack up the front side bus. I'd guess it would be stable up to 400MHz. Note- make sure you leave the PCI bus alone, or else any add-on hardware will be a little unhappy......

Just why would you want to OC an XP 2000 though?
    cus i have one

• Advertisement

XPs do not have the same leeway for over clocking as the Pentium 4's have. Ignoring the multiplier etc. the sodding things are quite remarkable in the amount of heat they give off.
    I blew a mobo and chip with a relatively low OC. At least in my case it was only a Gigabyte board and a Duron- so I wasn't in tears over it. Obviously an XP 2000 costs a small packet......Be careful....

point taken i am not going to touch it.i have an asus a7v333 RAID motherboard now it does say what is the maximum cpu it can take so i imagine it could take any socket A with up to a 333mhz front side bus??

You can probably run a faster clocked CPU than the maximum advertised, through several different manners.
    Just because it says 333 is the fastest FSB- it may not necessarily be- if my memory serves me right the Asus will allow you step up another 50MHz in 1 Mhz steps.
    There is also leeway for manipulating the CPU core voltage- of more interest probably in stabilising the system once you have the OC done- but remember its the higher core voltages that radiate most heat.

Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Well, my now scorch marked 2month old XP 2200 (the new generation tiny chip) will not overclock more than 4%.

This is due to it's reduced die size leading to lower overall area in contact with the heat sync.
    This leads to greater internal heat generation.

This chip is a stopgap between the old (!) XP's (2100's and less) and the next gen. (unreleased, around 2.4 GHz) larger cache Athlons (the larger cache leads to larger chip, thats why mine is a stopgap - it has the .13 micron die but with the smaller cache)

In short don't buy a 2200 or higher - wait for next gen. (around 2.4 GHz)
    If you don't want to overclock however, go ahead.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Amd have a new revision of the thoroughbred out now, it is optimized to clock much higher. Its only available as the 2400+ and 2600+ , the 2200+ is still the first model of thoroughbred. The 2400+ and 2600+ have clocked to 2.2 - 2.4 ghz, not too bad at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement