Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Internet - Probably the best ISP in the world!

Options
  • 07-09-2002 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Pardoning the bad Carlsberg pun, I'd just like to say how great it is to see an ISP actively engaged with the consumers. ie, Scott and Martin posting and replying to questions openly on this board. When any company take the time to do this sort of thing, I think it deserves enormous credit and respect.

I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say Fair Play!

On a side note, a mention to Chuck from DNA Games (aka Styx) for being so helpful in answering our gaming queries :)

Cheers lads, keep it up!

PS - In case you're wondering, no, I dont work for UTV :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Fair play to em, pity its not suibtable for playing games however :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

why aint it suitable for gaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Have you been smoking crack?Fair enough UTV seem to be concerned for their customers when it comes to service but the price is exorbitant-your average 56K connection in the UK is about £14(just over 20 euro).Im not sure if thats per month or per bill.I admire UTVs start up into the world of flat rate but ill be sticking with errorcom until UTV lower their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We seem to have been invaded by trolls today - time for some harsh moderating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Utv are doing great :cool: , dunno what you mean about not suitable for gaming tho, I use them on my isdn and I find em fine same ping as oceanfree for me but I noticed utv is slightly faster for downloading for some reason.

Gopher you do realize this isnt the uk? UTV pay eircom per minute, it wont be as cheap as uk because of EIRCOM. And your sticking with eircom eh? you do realize utv are cheaper for most if not all of their call charges from what I see from there website. I alrdy signed up to utv, great job guys and ireland offline :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by The Gopher
    Have you been smoking crack?Fair enough UTV seem to be concerned for their customers when it comes to service but the price is exorbitant-your average 56K connection in the UK is about £14(just over 20 euro).Im not sure if thats per month or per bill.I admire UTVs start up into the world of flat rate but ill be sticking with errorcom until UTV lower their prices.

No I'm not smoking crack but I reckon you are.

The reason UTV and others cannot offer Flat Rate at a price like €20 is because of Eircom and their refusal to offer a flatrate wholesale product. It is something that will come in but not until Eircom are dragged kicking & screaming trying to twart it at every opportunity.

I really hope there has been a good number of people switching to UTV so "Dr." Nolan gets the message loud & clear.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TitanFire

Here here Gandalf!

How is their price exorbitant? Why would you want to pay more to eircon when you could save more with UTV? Whatever mate, it's your money..

As the man's signature says...
    "Turn your mouse into a super-mouse,
    Turn your wallet into an empty wallet"

Classic that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by gandalf

I really hope there has been a good number of people switching to UTV so "Dr." Nolan gets the message loud & clear.

I think its fairly safe to assume that UTV staff will be developing crippling arthritis from opening many many thousands of application forms in the weeks/months to come.

I really cant wait to see if Eircom will continue the "nobody is interested in flat-rate access" story when they see how many people signup to UTV.

/me supplies eircom with thousands of pre-moistened towelettes to wipe the egg of their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

i hope to god the service gets very popular, and opens gives €ircon the kick in the balls it so,so badly needs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Back under your bridge, muppet...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Smiley

A day isn't a good day until I've had a shout and a rant down the phone at Eircon (at their expense) about the price of the Internet, so I will be ringing my "customer services manager" on Monday first thing. :D

well when i tried UTV to Jolt Ut servers i got 175 spikey f6 ping.
    on the eircom/ via dial up i get 100.

I aint really complaining. I love UTV for what they have given us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

They will only get the message when masses start to move to UTV. Eircom will probably decide to keep more profitable per minute internet billing until such time as a large portion of Joe Bloggs's starts moving to UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I SMOME CRACK. IL CONTINUE TO PAY EIRCOM MORE MONEY THAN I NEED TO. I WILL BE IGNORING THE TWO OFF PEAK OFFERS ON THE TABLE AND PAY OVER THE ODDS. I WILL HOWEVER POINT TO THE UK AND RANT A LOT. THANKS

Seriously, thats the way your post reads to most people here.

Gopher, How much time do you spend online? If that money is too much to pay (either offer) then you dont really need flat rate.

Please pot details of your usage and needs, not just swear words, insults and nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They will only get the message when masses start to move to UTV

Oh i must of told about 20 people so far who themselves have told lots more through various circles, gossiping neighbours are the best ones, all the mammy's yapping about cheaper net/phone access from utv, no more high bills etc.

Some never knew that the tv station they watch coronation st on offers cheaper calls, they loved the mouse ad as well !!....its like a chain reaction, word spreads fast !!

p.s. my sig is not copyrighted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

Until the next competing offer is made. :D

Consumers are a "fickle" bunch... generally. Hat's off to UTV for starting the ball rolling, though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cant wait till IOFFL/UTV has an amount of ppl who signed up.

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea Dustaz is right, if you don't spend €30 online every month you're obviously a light user, sticking with per minute billing would be better.

If and when DSL is finally released at a reasonable price by different ISP's, I'll certainly give UTVi first consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by daveirl
    AFAIK they have their own games servers which I'm sure you will have a decent ping to :) I think the link is http://www.dnagames.net

not so i get a better ping to dnagame servers with oceanfree than i do with utvi :(

• Advertisement

since all my league games are played in Uk its kinda useless for me with regards to gaming.
    Irc and downloads etc its exactly whats needed. (till true flat-rate)

Advertisement