Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Opinion about people on these boards.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Shazbat
    On a similar note, the amount of people who buy the Sun in this country amazes me too, it is such an anti irish rag.
    At least we agree on something. The Sun isn't a newspaper; it's a comic book for the semi-literate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Holy Cow, this thread has amazed me!

Johnny 5, the year is 2002 - get with the program.

The strife & aspirations of our forefathers are there to guide us, but not necessarily as a strict set of ideals and rules which we must adhere too.

Times change and we are entitled to reassess their beliefs & convictions in our time, without being accused of being Self Obsessed, Economically Swayed, Greedy, VERY Unpatriotic, Pro-British or Ungrateful.

Affiliation to One God or another, or one side of a line on a map or another, is the cause of most of the worlds troubles.

The people of the north need to sort themselves out & learn to live in peace with each other before they start thinking about joining other peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I find most problematic though is that your sitting down there, in Dublin or whereever, sipping a cup of tea, looking out the window toward the tricolour a top the GPO (or whereever, dont be getting hung up on geographics), see where you live, the job has been done, its finished, you have your freedom. now what you should do is cast your mind back to the history classes in college and remember what like was like pre-26 county Ireland. Wasn't a pretty picture was it? Well that is what is like up here and thats what the feeling is. the feeling is pre-1916. The English are STILL occupying.

The english are not occupying, the english are living there.
    Get this into your single minded short sighted head.

The english live there too, its there home and its been there for a good 300 years.
    I understand it was taken land but now thats not the case anymore.
    We don't have a landlord class so stop acting like the landlords are controlling the peasants.

The feeling in the north isn't pre 1916, unless all the Catholics in the north want HR and couldnt give a **** about a military solution.

I'm patriotic, I'd gladly die for my country if it meant preserving the ideal of peace and prosperity in my land.
    I'm sorry if I don't include the North in this country.

My ireland and the ireland I have always known it to be is a 26 county state.

If the 6 counties in the north wish to join the South I would welcome them with open arms.
    When I say the 6 counties in the north I mean the Catholics and Prodestants who have agreed to stop living in the stone age and come to realisation that Violence never solves problems, its just brings them to an unfinished solution.

You claim that people are

Self Obsessed - I'm not self obsessed just because I don't agree with you, nor is anyone else, yet that is how they treat them.

Economically Swayed - Everyone is economically swayed so don't act like you are high and mighty on you're money is the root of all evil horse.

Greedy - Of course I'm greedy, you are greedy too. You want the solution to the northern problem that you like, you aren't willing to comprimise, you want what you want, you don't think thats greedy?

VERY Unpatriotic - I am patriotic, just because I dont see my country the same was as you do, then you'll just have to get over it.

Pro-British - Sorry if I think you're an ignorant idiot if I dont shout "****ING BRITS" every time I see them. I dont agree with everything that the british government butt I certainly rather them over some of the so calls patriotic men in the north

Ungrateful - Sorry but I have the upmost respect for all people who fought for the freedom of our country with humane means, and for those who didn't, my respect for them is lessened.

I'll just go back to sipping away at my tea...

Originally posted by PHB
    The english are not occupying, the english are living there.
    Get this into your single minded short sighted head.

The english live there too, its there home and its been there for a good 300 years.
    Actually, the unionists in Northern Ireland are of Scottish descent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

To Biffa Bacon, if you read your constitution you'll see that the sixcounties where conceived to be part of the republic up until say 49, when enthusiam weakened.
    Articles 2 and 3 remained in the constitution until 98 when they were changed as a result of the Belfast Agreement. What happened in 49 was that Ireland left the Commonwealth and became a republic. The fact remains though that no government, political party, paramilitary group or any other organization anywhere in Ireland has ever tried to achieve a united Ireland using tactics that might reasonably have been expected to be successful.
    EVERYONE knows that if Sinn Fein did sever ALL LINKS with the IRA but still aspired for the republic, Trimble would find another spanner to throw in the works to hold up the institutions.
    I’d be surprised if that was true, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
    It's you kind of attitude that I hate, that I described in my first post, that he can do no wrong.
    Don’t worry, that’s not my attitude. I’d say his current stance on Sinn Féin continuing in government is a mistake, although not motivated by a desire to bring down the institutions as you seem to believe. According to the terms of the Belfast Agreement, Sinn Féin are entitled to continue in government, regardless of what the IRA does. The answer to the impasse is to simply instigate a security clampdown on paramilitaries.
    As for refusing to condemn attacks, about a month ago in the Irish News, the front page had a full length article on this matter stating facts. If you read it you'd understand.
    I’ll have to take your word for it, unless you have a link.
    And finally, maybe you are right about me not giving Trimble time to condemn the incident in Andersonstown, but is a 'that was a dreadful thing to do' really cut it these days?
    No it doesn’t, but in fairness, that’s all anyone else is saying. What Trimble, and everyone else, should be calling for in response to attacks like these is proper law enforcement, impossible at the moment given the emasculation of the police service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Originally posted by Shinji
    Ever wonder why the highest concentration of armchair nationalists who bleat about 32 county republics is in Cork and Kerry?

Ill give you kerry but comon now, Cork didnt return any SF TDs whereas dublin did :) Anyway Ill put money down that the highest concentration of armchair/ active nationalists can be found our side of the border (louth par example). You know, the ones who dont have to suffer any oppression yet enjoy the shopping trips to the north where its cheaper. Bit Irish that one.
    Also when people refer to the northern protestants please stop refering to them as english, it implies they were born/bred there and only moved to the north to piss the paddies off.

A. Self Obsessed
    I strive to better myself, though not at the expense of others. Is that self obsessed?
    B. Economically Swayed
    My future career will be economically rewarding, but it isnt why I am spending 6+years to obtain it
    C. Greedy
    Dont think so
    D. VERY Unpatriotic
    Id die for this country. However there is nothing endearing about the irish love for the tipple, especially abroad where theyre supposed to be representing us as a nation. Hence I dont wear my Irishness on my sleeve when Im abroad
    E. Pro-British
    Why not, they speak the same language, same culture & they drive on the same side of the road.
    F. Ungrateful
    Should we tell the brits to come back and tear down all the universities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

I agree with you 100% but you are wasting your breath arguing with most of the peolpe on this site as they are happy to aquire their opinions from the indo and other such pro british newspapers.

On a similar note, the amount of people who buy the Sun in this country amazes me too, it is such an anti irish rag. Pure racism about the irish is often to be found within its twisted pages yet it is still very popular. It just goes to show the kind of gob****es that live in this country.

Shazbat, you are so right!

Here are a few quotes on headlines the Sun/Star/Mirror have published.

Day1 Canadian Ben Johnson takes Gold!!
    Day2 AFRICAN IMMIGRANT CAUGHT ON DRUGS

Day1Green Party & FinnaFail leading Irish Election
    Day2SINN FEIN IRA WINS IRISH SOUTHERN ELECTION

Day1Is Eric Cantona England's greatest player?
    Day2 MAD FRENCH MAN KUNGFU KICKS SUPPORTER

Day1Irish hero saves girl from Crocodile!!
    Day2IRA MAN MURDERS CHILDS PET!!!

Johnny5 ,
    Good luck trying to argue with a bunch of idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Sun/Star/Mirror have published.

Day1 Canadian Ben Johnson takes Gold!!
    Day2 AFRICAN IMMIGRANT CAUGHT ON DRUGS

Day1Green Party & FinnaFail leading Irish Election
    Day2SINN FEIN IRA WINS IRISH SOUTHERN ELECTION

Day1Is Eric Cantona England's greatest player?
    Day2 MAD FRENCH MAN KUNGFU KICKS SUPPORTER

Day1Irish hero saves girl from Crocodile!!
    Day2IRA MAN MURDERS CHILDS PET!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Jake

Agree with most of what ye say Johhny5

Something Iv been wondering about for a while is..............

Say for example in the next 20 years Sinn Fein continue to grow down here
    Up north the majority of catholics/nationalists/republicans vote for sinn fein.
    A situation that may well happen!

Say the catholic/nationalist/republican poulation become the majority

A vote is taken and a majority in the six counties favour a united Ireland.
    Another vote is taken in the south to see if a majority favour a united ireland but is defeated by a small margin

What then?

The majority of who we would consider "irish people" (I only say Irish in this context for the sake of this argument) have voted for a united ireland if you include both states (north and south) BUT the majority down here is blocking the overall majority of "irish" people who voted for a united Ireland from realizing that dream.

One of the big arguments put foward by the "Celtic tiger" generation so active on this board against a united Ireland is that the loyalist/unionist community would turn to violence against the south but I think this situation (if indeed it were to happen at all, but you never know) would see a far bigger threat comming from the Sinn Fein/united ireland element both north and south.
    Would they eccept this situation?
    Doubt it.
    Would they pick up arms against those who have apposed them..........they have in the past.
    Will those within the "celtic tiger generation" who value matterial things and care only for their own welfar and so voted against a United Ireland be willing to fight the pro united Ireland'ers?

Would love to find out.........
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Although I consider myself an Irish Nationalist and hope some day soon we can unite all 32 counties...I think this new federal Euro superstate that we are being coned into will make our historical feud with Britain look like a tea party. Old enemies on this island will probably forge links to counteract an oppressor of unimaginable proportions.

• Advertisement

daith1, if you're worried about the vast shadowy fascist EU conspiracy oppressing you, may I recommend one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by dathi1
    Although I consider myself an Irish Nationalist and hope some day soon we can unite all 32 counties...I think this new federal Euro superstate that we are being coned into will make our historical feud with Britain look like a tea party. Old enemies on this island will probably forge links to counteract an oppressor of unimaginable proportions.

Yes yes, because any day now the EU will magically make it impossible for any nation to accede from the union.

Jeez - get a grip. If the nation (i.e. the majority of the people) wants out of the EU, then we are gone. Full stop, end of story.

The only way this could be prevented from happening is if we actually agreed (again, national majority) to sign away or independance to become a member state in EU V2.0 or something. Exactly how likely is that?

As for the North of Ireland and our unpatriotism....

Last time I checked, the North didnt become part of the settlement because there was a significant factor of people up there who were....wait for it....opposed to a united Ireland.

In fact, the North of Ireland has historically had much stronger ties with the island of Britain for hundreds of years. You can, in fact, trace the closeness back to before the English actually took over.

I may be patriotic, but I believe in democracy. If the Cuige of Uladh had been democratically asked if it wanted to be part of the Saorstat or the Republic when they were being formed, the majority would have said no. Given that Ireland before the English had kings in each Cuige, I believe they have a right to determine their own path. They made the decision, and while the minority of Republicans who choose to stay there have had a terrible time of it (which I do feel sorry for), I never once have felt that I have in any way sacrificed my nationalism.

The Irish fought to be free. Part of your freedom is the right to self-determinism. On a large scale, we usually use a mechanism called democracy for that.

I have no problem with the North remaining as part of Great Britain, as it it what they would have chosen for themselves at the time had they been asked. To date, they havent changed their minds, and it is not my right to fight for the so-called "freedom" of a minority at the cost of ignoring the exact same rights which the majority have.

Should the majority in the North ever decide that they do wish to rejoin the Republic, then it will be equally up to the Republic to decide if they wish to accept them. On that day, I will vote acceptance - once again supporting the democratic rights of the majority.

jc

If the nation (i.e. the majority of the people) wants out of the EU, then we are gone. Full stop, end of story.

Just like in Texas. yep yer right.

European News Agency Aug 20th 2022. 4 Euro Military police officers were killed in Navan by what seems to be a new version of the radiation burst bomb developed by separatist terrorists. The Irish Zone based Irish Freedom Army clamed responsibility for the killings. Euro antiterrorist cheif of staff Proncias de rossa said that all must be done to twart the efforts of these units and called for new emergency powers to enforce the alreadly outlawed wireless outernet believed to be used by terrorist groups to communicate within the approved EuroNet system. Users of unlicensed wirless net pods face up to 20 military detention in the notorious Frankfurt DieCamp. The so called Islamic Eire based in Dublin also calmed responsibility for the attack but military sources in Brussels have ruled this out.

Just like in Texas. yep yer right.
    The US constitution is very different from any foreseeable EU constitution. And if there is an EU constitution sometime in the future, the Irish electorate will assuredly have a chance to vote on it -- it's not covered under the QMV rules.
    European News Agency Aug 20th 2022. 4 Euro Military police officers were killed in Navan by what seems to be a new version of the radiation burst bomb ....
    What's your point? Anyone can make up a fictional story supporting their argument. Do you actually have any logic to support this as a likely outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Johnny 5

While I agree with your sentiments bonkey, I hope your of the same opinion when I say that Northern Ireland was created illegally, whereby a country was created where a certain religion where the majority, therefore ruled?

I welcome your statement on the voting yes in the next vote whenever that may be, as that is probably the only suitable answer one could come up with without being unpatriotic etc.

Do you actually have any logic to support this as a likely outcome?
    Forcing a nation to run a referendum twice or maybe 3 times until the result suits prodi et al..would be one good example....hell they can just do it from now on with every other Treaty we might reject.
    Ps: I'm all in favour of the European economic Union but I think there is a rush towards federalism at the behest of France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Originally posted by DeVore
    God I cant wait until its decided by democratic vote. It will slowly sink in that the side with the highest promiscuity will control the situation LOL.

Can you imagine the placards: "Fnck for your country!" and "Unionists do it in the Jacks (Union Jacks!)"

DeV.

The rev. paisley already used this arguement in the 70s that every good prod family would have to have at least 3 children or else the catholics would breed like rats and out number them

As for opions from Kerry my old Granddad often said the only was was to turn the 6 counties into and island the let them sort it out themselves and I agree with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Johnny 5
    While I agree with your sentiments bonkey, I hope your of the same opinion when I say that Northern Ireland was created illegally, whereby a country was created where a certain religion where the majority, therefore ruled?
    Illegal? Sorry, unless I'm mistaken we (the Irish Free State) agreed (albeit reluctantly) to the formation of NI. If anything the Republic was not exactly declared above board by DeValera, AFAIR.
    I'm all in favour of the European economic Union but I think there is a rush towards federalism at the behest of France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
    Hmmm... Have you ever been to Langley, Virginia? What are your sympathies for the US, dathi1... if that is your real nick? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Don't get me wrong, I am neither a militant or support military means. I support fully democratic means and when the time comes when there is a majority of catholics in the North, then the British and Irish governments must publish a green paper detailing the process of which a UI will come about. The process should be phased lasting probably about 2 years. A gradual withdrawl. Before this time the Irish Army would need to have been built up, reserves called in etc and the Air Corps built up to quell disturbances. One may aruge that what would happen if the Protestants came to majority, truth is nothing could legally happen as NI would be no more, Protestants would be but 20% of the population. It would be better financially and politcally for unionists to accept a UI in these terms. But unlike many of the southerners they are patriotic.

Firstly: ROFL.

Secondly:

Are you a catholic?
    Are you a *practising* catholic?
    Do you have *any* idea of the proportion of *this* country that is?
    The make up of Northern Ireland's religious groups is unimportant to the British Government at this stage.

Why would N. Ireland want to join back with us?
    As was already said, why would we want them?

What difference would a United Ireland make? Would it make us a "better" country? Because we kicked people with one religion out?

20% protestants? That is unlikely to happen.

The idea of a united Ireland is a nice one -- had it happened maybe 60/70 years ago -- but now we're all too different.

Countries evolve and develop individually, Northern Ireland will always have a different past and trying to unite them would only cause more killings -- or is that what you want? another blood-bath.

<< Fio >>

While I agree with your sentiments bonkey, I hope your of the same opinion when I say that Northern Ireland was created illegally, whereby a country was created where a certain religion where the majority, therefore ruled?/B]

No, I dont accept that.

Your logic can be extended to effectively say that every country was created illegally. In fact, the creation of Northern Ireland was far more political than the creation of most other counties which still exist on the map today. If anything, it has one of the most valid existences from a legal point of view.

I would also suggest that you try and find what laws its creation broke, because otherwise I think you'll find that the term "illegal" is entirely inappropriate - emotive, but inaccurate.
    Forcing a nation to run a referendum twice or maybe 3 times until the result suits prodi et al..would be one good example....hell they can just do it from now on with every other Treaty we might reject.
    You mean like they didnt accept any of the other referenda which have had results in the past which the government didnt like. Oh - no wait. They did.

And maybe you could explain how any government will be able to do this? Maybe you've forgotten that :

1) Until they get a majority of the voters to agree with them, they can do nothing. Its easy to accept a No vote and look for a referendum, but the government could never survive actually not acting on the outcome of a referendum.
    2) The public majority, on the other hand, can oust a government by doind nothing more than voting for someone else in the next election.

As I've already pointed out in the "Nice means jobs to go" thread, there isnt a single shred of evidence that the government have any intention of continuing the "back to the people" attitude of the current re-run, although there is evidence to suggest that this is indeed an exvceptionally unusual situation. Secondly, you should ask yourself what FF gain by these actions. They stand to lose political power because some of their voting public is most unhappy with them. So exactly why are they risking the future of their own party on this?

Let me guess - its a precursor to Jan 15, 2004 - the Irish Night of the Long Knives, when a shadowy group of crack mercenaries will eliminate the entire Irish political structure with the exception of one party who will then effectively hold the country to ransom until we agree to pass a referenda granting them absolute power in perpetuity. Any individual who complains about a loss of dmocracy will be rounded up and shot as a dissenter.

See - just like you I can come up with this complete fiction. I'm not sure what its validity is though - I cant remember the last time someone used the stories from shows like Stargate or Andromeda, (or any other futurustic fiction) as a basis for political argument. Maybe you could explain how its done, or is it just more contentless content?

If, on the other hand, you could actually form a credible argument as to how you see this future coming to pass, rather than some sound-byte scaremongering, Id be more willing to take you seriously.

I mean come on - no-one from Ireland seems to be able to mention a negative sentiment on Nice or the EU without telling us that we are heralding in the end of democracy with this government's actions.

Again, as I pointed out in the other thread, I dont understand this. If you're sure that the government will lose again, then there is no problem - they've sunk their own boat, and there'll be no chance of a third referendum - they govt will find themselves out of power before thats likely to happen. Even if it did, they'd just keep on losing until a general election at which point a massively pissed off public would oust them from power. So - nothing to worry about here.

Alternately, maybe you're afraid that, shick horror, the government will win. But they can only do that if a majority of voters say Yes to Nice. Now, are you so hung up on democracy that it was OK to say no a while back and we should abide by that, but if we say "yes" by a significantly different margin this time around, thats not ok because its not democratic?

I wasnt aware that democracy forbade one to change ones mind

jc

• Advertisement

You mean like they didn't accept any of the other referenda which have had results in the past which the government didn't like. Oh - no wait. They did.

Nice is the one that matters..EEC 71 , Amsterdam, Mastrict : Economic Union and co operation. Nice 2: the re-run: Power structuring for a federal superstate for Germany and France. Other refs on Abortion and X cases s=etc...didnt matter a dam. to them.
    Secondly, you should ask yourself what FF gain by these actions. They stand to lose political power because some of their voting public is most unhappy with them. So exactly why are they risking the future of their own party on this?

FF, FG(Future MEPs) or the Unions (Increased subs + power) and our friends IBEC (Cheapo labour) they are all sing from the same him sheet on this one. The chance to retire to Brussels in a new federal super system makes this power structure very attractive to the current establishment. The push over the top by our new Euro masters on this one is Priority No 1 even if Bertie volunteers as cannon fodder.
    - I cant remember the last time someone used the stories from shows like Stargate or Andromeda, (or any other futurustic fiction) as a basis for political argument.

George Orwell ring a bell?
    Now, are you so hung up on democracy that it was OK to say no a while back and we should abide by that, but if we say "yes" by a significantly different margin this time around, that's not ok because its not democratic?

well they can run the ref every week with a 10million € marketing campaign until Prodi accepts the outcome...Democracy my arse!

Nice is the one that matters..EEC 71 , Amsterdam, Mastrict : Economic Union and co operation. Nice 2: the re-run: Power structuring for a federal superstate for Germany and France. Other refs on Abortion and X cases s=etc...didnt matter a dam. to them.
    But the Eurosceptics have cried wolf about every single Euro referendum. The Single European Act was going to draft us all into a European army; the Maastricht Treaty was going to legalize abortion and send all our jobs to Germany; the Treaty of Amsterdam was going to centralise all political power in Brussels. Why should we believe you now?
    George Orwell didn't write science fiction. Are you thinking of Aldous Huxley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

How is our nation being forced to rerun the Nice referendum?

But the Eurosceptics have cried wolf about every single Euro referendum. The Single European Act was going to draft us all into a European army; the Maastricht Treaty was going to legalize abortion and send all our jobs to Germany; the Treaty of Amsterdam was going to centralise all political power in Brussels.
    Like most No to the Nice voters I'm not a Euro sceptic..as perviosly stated I am in favour of European Union but not a federal superstate with the big guys controling the strings.
    George Orwell didn't write science fiction.

A totalitarian superstate called Oceania ruled by a big brother political system with electronis eyes and ears. 1984 by GW in 1949.

A totalitarian superstate called Oceania ruled by a big brother political system with electronis eyes and ears. 1984 by GW in 1949.

I think people know what the book is about - its the accuracy which is being questioned.

I'm looking around the world, and I cant see any totalitarian state which was run in this manner in 1984, nor can I see one which is likely to emerge in the near future.

Orwell predicted the predictable - that technology of the day would advance, and that ultimately this would be used as a means of infringing on our personal privacy. All he did was take this to a bleak conclusion which has proven to be remarkably inaccurate in most ways. Note that Orwell wrote his works after one of the first wars in which electronic spying, cryptography, and all those associated techniques were widely employed for the first time. Never before was encryption (and crypto breaking) so widely spread or used. Never before was traffic interecepting carried on such a huge scale with such significant impacts.

Orwell simply reasoned that these technologies would become more prevalent in the public sector, and that this would ultimately lead to a loss of privacy. So far, he's been partially right, and his view of the world as it should have been 18 years ago is constantly being held up as a vision of what it will be in another 18 years if we dont put a stop to it.

Isnt it great that 1984 didnt make the mistake of trying to limit itself to a timeframe so that people could say "what a load of crap" once it became obvious that society was not progressing at the pace that Orwell imagined.

Oh - hang on. The title has a date in it. How did I ever miss that ;)

Tell you what, though. I'll concede the point. George Orwell was remarkably prescient, and frighteningly accurate in a number of ways. Remarkably. In fact, of the thousands and thousands of visions of the future, his is about the only one which has managed to keep and hold attention for its merit.

Which would mean that the vast, vast majority of "visions of the future" are incorrect. In fact, it is such a rarity to be able to look back at one and say "this was really good" that we all seem to harp on a single case - Orwell's Big Brother vision.

Which would mean to me that your argument is saying that your vision of the future is far, far more likely to be wrong than right, because in the past 50 years, we can come up with one memorable, noteble example.

The mathematician in me, in fact, would hazard that there have been sufficient views of the future written in the past 50 years that at least one of them was statistically likely to hit close to the mark, which means that Orwell's writing may be nothing more than lucky co-incidence, further weakening your position.

As for being in favour of the EU, but not a federal super-state.....could you explain what EU you would be in favour of, and how it differs from the EU-precursors (EEC and EC) which we democratically decided to move on from?

jc

Like most No to the Nice voters I'm not a Euro sceptic..as perviosly stated I am in favour of European Union but not a federal superstate with the big guys controling the strings.

Nice that.

Youre not in favour of the current system (at a guess), youre not in favour of the path the current system will evolve down, but youre not actually opposed to the EU.

Using your definition of Euro-skeptic, the individual probably doesnt exist. How many people would refuse a EU where their nation held absolute power over all the others? Few, if any. And I'm sure you could give those few a vision that they could be happy with too.

Which means that there is no such thing as a Euro-skeptic, cause they all are in favour of some form of European Union.

Just as a matter of interest - what was the last step along the evolution of the current EU that you did agree with?

jc

What a nonsensical argument: For someone happy to live in a country internationally famed for it’s corruption and it’s golden circles, you fear “big guys controlling the strings”. I assume you mean to say you fear the possibility of big guys with funny names and accents as opposed to our own local breed of big guys controlling the strings?

As an aside, bare in mind that much of what is commonly highlighted as undemocratic in the EU is as a direct result of national parliaments being unwilling to hand over power to competing democratic institutions, such as the European parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Originally posted by The Corinthian

What a nonsensical argument: For someone happy to live in a country internationally famed for it’s corruption and it’s golden circles, you fear “big guys controlling the strings”. I assume you mean to say you fear the possibility of big guys with funny names and accents as opposed to our own local breed of big guys controlling the strings?
    Don't tell me you fall for the same old paranoid conspiracy theories that lefties continually drone on about? There are no 'golden circles' in Ireland controlling everything. There's only successful people who sometimes have mutual interests. It's just classic begrudgery and jealousy in action to suggest that people are wealthy because of some old boys network or something.

Originally posted by Turnip
    Don't tell me you fall for the same old paranoid conspiracy theories that lefties continually drone on about? There are no 'golden circles' in Ireland controlling everything. There's only successful people who sometimes have mutual interests. It's just classic begrudgery and jealousy in action to suggest that people are wealthy because of some old boys network or something.
    I'm certainly not begrudging success. But there have been more than a few questionable shenanigans, share price movements and decisions between closed doors. I’ve even witnessed the odd one from the sidelines.

In a country as small, population-wise, as Ireland, old boys networks are bound to appear.

I've benefited from my old boys network, haven't you? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

On a similar note, the amount of people who buy the Sun in this country amazes me too, it is such an anti irish rag. Pure racism about the irish is often to be found within its twisted pages yet it is still very popular. It just goes to show the kind of gob****es that live in this country.

It's popular because of the breasts ye know, and the scandal. It's not the type of paper anyone would buy if they wanted to keep abreast of current affairs! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement