Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitive answer required :)

Options
  • 08-09-2002 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to know, in colour terms, the exact configuration for making a CAT5 cross over cable to that teh rec+ and cer- are still twisted round each other and the trans+ and trans- are too for best signal integrity.

Also, what's the max practical distance for uplinking hubs/switches?
    I've been told 3m @ 100Mbit.
    We had two linked before using decent CAT5e straight cable (auto crossed) but the link would go down every now and then or was slow (but the led for the ports still showed up as 100Mbit FD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

100m from extreme to extreme on hubs

2 x 50 m runs of cable = 100m and **** happens.

100m from port on switch

2x 100m runs = 100m

so a switch shouod be used between hubs if possible.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

No difference between switch and hub with respect of cable lengths. Its 100 Meters Hub-Hub PC-HUB, PC-PC.
    And its the Orange and the Green wires that are used.
    They need to be paired up properly with their respective grounds.

the crossover cable was dealt with

i commented on the total size of an ethernet network 100m and how a switch can be used to increase it.

i assume the crossover will be .5m long and insignificant overall.

m

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://frink.nuigalway.ie/~syxpak/pix/Sd240-small.jpg
    That's my switch mate.

Thanks for the help :)

I knew about the 100m limitation allready.
    But I've heard (from guys who instal networks) that 75' is the max practical distance for no loss and good latency etc.
    I'd assume that an uplink cable would need to be as short as possible and of very good quality as alot of data will travel over it frequently, and as it's not on the internal bus latency could come into it as you're adding on double the uplink cable length to the total distance run by the signals.

I just want to get one definitive method for wiring crossovers so I can learn it off and make reliable cross over cables for lans etc.
    I assume that a hard wired cross over is more efficient then letting the switch handle the MDIX itself....

• Advertisement

....are always handy, they can be used to hook 2 pc's etc if you have no hub for example. I consider making them a life skill!

ping 20 times continously and make sure there is no packet loss, 1 outta 20 loss is 5% and will feck a busy network if you only have hubs.

switches are better at isolating dodgy cables from the rest of the network.

jeez big picture on dialup !

M

Originally posted by Muck
    ....are always handy, they can be used to hook 2 pc's etc if you have no hub for example. I consider making them a life skill!
    I know :)

ping 20 times continously and make sure there is no packet loss, 1 outta 20 loss is 5% and will feck a busy network if you only have hubs.

switches are better at isolating dodgy cables from the rest of the network.

jeez big picture on dialup !

M

Yeayh, hence why I want to make a decent one :)
    We had a ~4m uplink at GL3 between the 24port and another 16port switch, every halfhour/hour or so the link would become unstable, requiring we unplug the cable and plug it back in quickly, or change the cable completely.
    In the middle of leeching or a mad Q3 session that is not ideal :/

Sorry aout the pic size, tis about 40K.
    I'll change it to a link.

and my last xo , a 25m effort , went into UCG 2 months ago.

It is there, working happily, to this very day in one of your 'rural' outstations:) .

M

hehehe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I sincerely doubt that the uplink length had anythinbg to do with the problems at GL3. If those two switches were side by side connected by a 6 inch crossover in a cleanroom with 200 cfm cooling fans there would still have been problems.

Switch to Switch we were running decent quality CAT5e with low packet loss. It was just an hardware uplink problem on the 16 port 100Meg switch.

• Advertisement

fecked ports , so i superglued in rj45 crystal into one once and some gobsh1te took it out again, he had to use pliars, then he told ME it didn't work !

switch that had to be tilted 45degrees, otherwise its fan stuck and sunuvabitch overheated. it was a 2 year warranty, 2.1 years old expensive CHASE jobbie.

2 x 3com superstack 1100 (10Mbit switches) would not boogie together over xo, similar to your issue, and I had to shell out for £100 matrix cable to connect them backplane to backplane ...admittedly at 2Gbit and not 10Mbit. Lovely.

Both (or either into side by side ports) would xo sweetly to a cisco catalyst some years later. 3com must have some s/w to make ya do it their way.....

dlink and linksys switches a few years back proved to me (again and I should know) that you get what you pay for in the end.

and I made a balls of LOADS of cables in my day needless to say.

M

Advertisement