Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT VS. UTVIP - The Battle begins.

Options
  • 08-09-2002 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

HOPEFULLY these two ISP's are going to go at it over the country.
    Battling prices again'st one another to the benefit of the Irish Internet user.

This is probably the best thing that's ever happened to Irish ISP's, simply because there's never been TWO flat rate 56K ISP's in this country.

It's time to compete!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Arboration
    This is probably the best thing that's ever happened to Irish ISP's, simply because there's never been TWO flat rate 56K ISP's in this country.

Or one 64k ISP and one 56k ISP. Hopefully this will mean Esat will start to allow 64k ISDN too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well i think utvi is about as low as prices can get untill eircom agree to friaco :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Lets face it.. at this point is there realy any doubt which one is the better product!? :cool:
    If i was not already one of the lucky few still using no limits i would not have to think twice about going to UTV, especial after all the input they have given on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

utv rules, without em I would of had to sign up to esat and started using 56k modem to access net. Brings back horrible memories thinking about how slowwwwwwww 56k is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You dont have to change who you get your phone calls from when you subscribe to the esat offer whereas with UTVIP you do.

You dont get the boot every two hours with Esats service.

that being said:

If ou dont mind getting cut off every two hours then UTV IP might be the better service.

Does anyone know if eircom is offering a similar service and if so when do they plan to release it ... it would want to be soon before everyone goes for these to offers

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if eircom is offering a similar service and if so when do they plan to release it ..

Eircom!?:confused:

Never heared of them!? :D
    (anyone else every heared of this company!?) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

I heard on the radio (98fm) that the isp's are in final negotiations with eircom over a full wholesale flat rate model.. I heard that on friday last, lunch time..... dunno if there is any real evidence to this or not

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

You dont have to change who you get your phone calls from when you subscribe to the esat offer whereas with UTVIP you do.

Why wouldnt you do that anyway? All the calls are 25% cheaper? The only exception I noticed was on mobile calls....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Griff667

Originally posted by fcddunne
    You dont get the boot every two hours with Esats service.

And now you don't with UTVip either. If you check the other UTV-related threads on this board you'll find that they've changed the cutoff limit from 2hrs to a very respectable 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

True, the 2 hour limit has been reconsidered in the thread... but I'm still looking at it in UTVip's web FAQ?

Anyone know when the revised FAQ will be "live"? (Martin/Scott?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

We'll get the FAQ and T's and C's sorted tomorrow.

Regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

From what i can see its still 2 Hours Limit, there was a mention of 12 hours but this was only with reference to avarage internet usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

My comments about the two hourly booting was made before the UTV people made their modifications

Now that its twelve hours I have no problem signing up for utv. I would have settled for a six hour limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Griff667

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    From what i can see its still 2 Hours Limit

Check that link again, BoneCollector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by kamobe

Why wouldnt you do that anyway? All the calls are 25% cheaper? The only exception I noticed was on mobile calls....

I'm taking up the Esat offer, just cause I'm the only real user of the net in our house, but the phone bill's not in my name, and I don't want it coming outta my bank account (Hey, I got younger sisters :rolleyes: ).

Does anyone know what exactly the "new" offer is? I got a phone call from them but missed half of it cause one of the aforementioned sisters dropped a rather large saucepan (they called at dinnertime, thank you very much Esat). The only thing I remember is that it was now €30 instead of €35 and I'd be getting a new form sent out..

It's time to compete!

Hope the same thing happens when UTVip start offering broadband..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cant u ask the bill payer if u can put it in their name it will save them money

Originally posted by tuxx
    cant u ask the bill payer if u can put it in their name it will save them money

Would except they don't believe in DD and won't get a credit card. Anyway, from what I know (still need clarification though :D ) there's not much of a difference now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

It's time to compete!

If you consider this to be a battle then I feel sorry for you. UTV wins hands down. It's not a battle it's a Masacre!

OHP

Advertisement