Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suicide

Options
  • 08-09-2002 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

hey everyone, i was just wondering what anyone thought about suicide. ive had depression for the last year and a half. last july i attempted suicide for the second time and was in jon of gods for a few weeks. please share any opinions or insights you may have about suicide/depression, im still feeling pretty terrible about it.

mia x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Find something that makes you very happy/fulfilled and do it as much as you need to to stop yourself from feeling down and eventually arriving into said state which is no mans land :(

I've a friend who's tried to drown/hang/jump to kill himself numerous times and finally after having been to someone and found things that keep him happy does he feel less inclined to do so now.....

learn to love yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think that its an easy way out, it causes a lot of grief for ones family and friends who will blame themselves for eternity (that is if one has family or friends.

I have never found easy things to be rewarding, if you want to triumph over difficulties and shun the ones that stop your growth in a way that is good for all, if you can think of something never thought of before which is anything that you think of because you have never existed before you can achieve anything in the world.

Suicide is a waste of a beautiful possibility. Anything is possible, everything is beautiful - suicide is just a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

I think everyone thinks of sucide at some point in their life....

Try to realise that their are things to live for.

And Samba's right, try to be as active as possible. The worst thing you can do is sit in your room all day.

As well as that, try to talk as openly as you can with someone you trust. It can help to put things in perspective and make you feel a bit better about yourself...

I hope that helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I remember you before,its to do with your mother isnt it?I imagine your probably 15-17 age range.Just remember that within a few months/short number of years you can move out.As deco says I think we have all thought about suicide at some point.I often think to myself about how ****ty life would be when Im about 40 if i never got a family or anything and i might do it myself.But sure thats in the future and theres no point in worrying about it seeing as i most likely wont end up like that.What did the psychaistrists at the home tell your parents?Try to get them to drill in to your ma that ts her fault and mayve she will listen and lay off you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Suicide is never the answer to your problems. I've never seriously contemplated suicide at any time but I can see how it might seem like an easy (or even the only) option at the time. But it would be a waste.

If you ever feel like committing suicide again talk to a close friend or ring an anonymous support group like the samaratins. Having someone to talk to is the most important thing during a bad patch like that.

• Advertisement

Good point Leeroy The Samaritans are always there and are professionally trained to deal with many personal situations.

To call them dial 1850-609090 for the price of a local call.
    Otherwise email jo@samaritans.org . I really can say that they are a great help, very pleasant and caring, I emailed them a couple of times myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Perhaps a Sticky could be started with a list of orgainisations and support groups like the samaratins, childline, etc with full contact details.

That way people would know where to look for help or to get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

thanku so much everyone for replying. suicide isnt the easy way out. ur considering living, which at that time is horrendous, or dying, which is ten times more scary than merely hating urself for what seems an eternity. i was raped two years ago, and thats what started me being depressed, but yeah, my mum is a problem which is getting much less problematic. thanku for all ur considerate replies. ppl have different ways of looking at suicide, and its not right to generalise that suicide is the easy way out. its so different and unique to each person. thanx again. mia x

Originally posted by Silent Grape
    its not right to generalise that suicide is the easy way out. its so different and unique to each person
    Fair enough, I'm just speaking from my own experience.
    Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Perhaps a Sticky could be started with a list of orgainisations and support groups like the samaratins, childline, etc with full contact details.
    hehe, do you not read the stickys in PI?! :p

(mind you it doesn't include samaritans any more, that'll be corrected. If anyone has any other links they want sticky'd in the .. sticky, please let a PI moderator know, thanks)

Advertisement